Rugby sell out crowd of 22,000 in Philly

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:41 AM

OK, It was Union vs The NZ Maori's but it's still a very impressive turn out for a Rugby game in the USA where the sport is not even on most peoples radar. 

The average American sports fan who has heard of Rugby does not really know the difference anyhow until you explain the split and the 2 differing codes, when you do and they watch a few games the NFL types really like League as its a closer fit to the NFL game.

Add the 2 USA League governing bodies merging & the Tomahawks RLWC success and things are beginning to take shape Stateside for both codes, from little acorns.......

From what i can gather Rugby Union is popular in many colleges and even college grid-iron teams play it recreation ally as a good way to stay battle ready for football and better their fitness & now RL is also beginning to be noticed and enjoyed, if there ever was a perfect choice of a nation to take to Rugby its America.

Imagine both USA & Canada joining up with the big Rugby nations as big hitters, what a shot in the arm that would be.  

#2 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

yeah, union fans are in a lather about this crowd and the one in Canada (22,000) both records. But this has taken them 100 years to achieve and its funny cos they point out this is proof league needs to give up in these countries because union's on the march. yeah right.

#3 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yeah to be fair it is a good crowd but they should be getting crowds like that. They have a huge amount of club sides and college sides (Men & Women). I know a lot of people traveled from Boston as they will have from the following cities: New York, Baltimore, Washington DC, Pittsburgh (To name a few). 

If they start getting NFL level crowds it's then they should be applauded.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#4 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

At least there were try's the USA game as in june this year Ireland played them winning 15-12 in a penalty fest that bored fan's and lead to one comment calling it a strange hybrid Soccer game.

#5 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

At least there were try's the USA game as in june this year Ireland played them winning 15-12 in a penalty fest that bored fan's and lead to one comment calling it a strange hybrid Soccer game.

Nail head hit, then they watch a RL game and their collective jaws drop.

#6 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

I don't know what the promotion was like but over here it was covered by the Guardian (who seem to reprint USA/Premier Rugby press releases as if they are actual factual stories) so I assume it was a reasonable deal.

22,000 is not bad at all.

But we've had the Wiggles singing about us so we're well ahead.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

It was a good game and wonder what CFL/NFL fans would of thought about it.

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

It was a good game and wonder what CFL/NFL fans would of thought about it.

CFL fans would be watching their conference semi finals like good little Roughriders.

- Severus, July 2012

#10 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

I don't know what the promotion was like but over here it was covered by the Guardian (who seem to reprint USA/Premier Rugby press releases as if they are actual factual stories) so I assume it was a reasonable deal.

22,000 is not bad at all.

But we've had the Wiggles singing about us so we're well ahead.

Apparently club and college players and officials flew in from all over the States to attend. Since the New Zealand Maori were rebranded the "Maori All Blacks" there was also a lot of confusion amongst many Americans about who the Maori team was and whether they were the proper "All Blacks" or not. Some were disappointed that they weren't the New Zealand first team.

Edited by Duff Duff, 12 November 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#11 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Apparently club and college players and officials flew in from all over the States to attend. Since the New Zealand Maori were rebranded the "Maori All Blacks" there was also a lot of confusion amongst many Americans about who the Maori team was and whether they were the proper "All Blacks" or not. Some were disappointed that they weren't the New Zealand first team.

I noticed this. A bit of a dodgy marketing strategy.

#12 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Americans sell things in a very positive light to maximize revenue, anything even remotely negative will be ignored totally, it worked though didn't it.

#13 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Not popular in New Zealand either. All the senior mens' teams have been rebranded "All Blacks". Maori All Blacks and All Blacks Sevens etc.

http://www.allblacks...ens-and-NZMaori

Not really a good idea. There is only one All Blacks team and being an "All Black" means being a full New Zealand international. It dilutes a premium "brand" and creates confusion with the public.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

I assumed this was some Premier Rugby (or similar) attempt at spin.  I hadn't realised it was an actual thing that all NZRU teams are now All Blacks.

- Severus, July 2012

#15 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

The ladies' Rugby Union side is the Black Ferns.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,602 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Not popular in New Zealand either. All the senior mens' teams have been rebranded "All Blacks". Maori All Blacks and All Blacks Sevens etc.

http://www.allblacks...ens-and-NZMaori

Not really a good idea. There is only one All Blacks team and being an "All Black" means being a full New Zealand international. It dilutes a premium "brand" and creates confusion with the public.

I agree. The All Blacks are the code's #1 recognisable and marketable brand. This could come back to bite them on the bum.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Cross code forum thataway, currently housing guff guff's greatest lectures to the heathens!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#18 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Imagine both USA & Canada joining up with the big Rugby nations as big hitters, what a shot in the arm that would be.  

Canada lost to Georgia at the weekend at RU. There was a good brawl after a shocking high tackle which resulted in two players getting red carded.

Apparently the crowd in Georgia were rather pleased with the result of the game.

http://www.smh.com.a...1113-2xfa9.html

28m391z.jpg

#19 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

They weren't rebranded for this game. They had that nickname before now.

http://en.wikipedia....aori_All_Blacks

Edited by Gosman, 14 November 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#20 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

The NZRFU are currently in negotiations to get a game for the All Blacks next year in the States, similar to what they had against Japan. It is likely to be against an invitational side rather than then US national team though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users