Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Good Tory writes ...

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've actually had the time to read the 'article' and it's about Honest John Major. Apart from the fact that the words good, John and Major don't really go together, are you saying that he is THE good Tory (ie there aare no others)?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Cameron's spin doctors will be along soon to put major back in his box. Perhaps a story about the complete lack of respect he showed for the curtains in Edwina Currie's flat.

I bet Major's fees for after dinner speaking have been boosted by his recent outpourings of morality which won't hurt him. This is how Tories think right?

#23 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,611 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

I've actually had the time to read the 'article' and it's about Honest John Major. Apart from the fact that the words good, John and Major don't really go together, are you saying that he is THE good Tory (ie there aare no others)?

If you could talk anything but politics I think Ken Clarke and Boris would be quite likeable.  Not good but likeable.

I genuinely have tried to think of a Tory I'd consider "good" and can't.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you could talk anything but politics I think Ken Clarke and Boris would be quite likeable. Not good but likeable.

Not sure I consider Boris's views on Hillsborough political, more ignorant and disrespectful.

As for Clarke, I'll bookmark this and see what the next few years bring for him...... and we can re-assess your views then.

I drink with a former Tory MP from time to time. He's a nice bloke and cracking company. I'm not sure he was ever actually convicted of fraud or declared bankrupt but everything's in his wife's name.

The bar is so low.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 11 November 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#25 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

In other words everyone's out of step except our Dave!

And our Tory Blair.

#26 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

If you could talk anything but politics I think Ken Clarke and Boris would be quite likeable.  Not good but likeable.

Narrow Mindedness of yourself and Larry The Left as I am mates with a lot of labour and there never say anything what there party have done wrong yet still call the Tory's.

Labour could bomb bloody Portugal and there faithful would still say they done no wrong.

I quite like Alan Johnson as he is a working class fellow.

And if I get banned for saying some not so bad stuff then you might as well name this forum North Korean Total Rugby.

Edited by 808tone, 11 November 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

William Hague did a really good job as Secretary of State for Wales.

I've a lot of time for Philip Davies as well.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Maggie/John Major and Tory Blair were the best PM's we ever had.

#29 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

For Spitting Image.

#30 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'd better be careful what I say, but I came across a Tory MP when working a few months ago (could have been 2012, actually). He was up visiting his brother - well, he obviously wouldn't be representing anywhere around here - was sitting in the garden and just started chatting to me. He quickly established my life story (ie why I was wandering around Scotland with a Lancashire accent) and it turned out that we were both of similar national status: English-born but Scottish through parentage. He then went on a bit of a rant about current issues in Scottish politics, the national question, Alex Salmond, and him not having a say. I'm thinking "what is any of this to do with you as you live down south?", so I challenged him and had a bit of a debate (much to the embarrassment of his sister-in-law, who was also sat in the garden).

I didn't find out he was a politician until afterwards, but I wasn't impressed by his - how can I say this? - political intelligence. Never mind Alex Salmond debating the future of Scotland with David Cameron, I'll take this guy on anytime, anywhere - and wipe the floor with him.

Nice enough bloke, though.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#31 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

To be (slightly) fair, it is thanks to the codifying gentry that the Football Association was formed in the first place.

True afte around 150 years they have claimed it back.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#32 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

I feel a coalition between new Tory leader Boris Johnson and UKIP's Nigel Farage in the future.

#33 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Maggie/John Major and Tory Blair were the best PM's we ever had.

Clement Attlee is the best PM we've ever had. Blair and Major were effectively "Tory light" Thatcher was a disaster for our country, the fruits of her policies are just coming home to roost, with the rescue of the banks and the rip off energy companies just the tip of the ice berg. People talk about Blair and spin, Thatcher was all spin.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Clement Attlee is the best PM we've ever had. Blair and Major were effectively "Tory light" Thatcher was a disaster for our country, the fruits of her policies are just coming home to roost, with the rescue of the banks and the rip off energy companies just the tip of the ice berg. People talk about Blair and spin, Thatcher was all spin.

I think that this is unfair.  Major and Blair didn't have malice, it was at the core of a lot of what Thatcher did.

#35 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

You're blaming thatcher for brown bailing out the banks? Wow. That's a leap.

#36 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Please rename this thread the Alice in Wonderland thread as it is full of nonsense - apart from of course my posts.

I wasn't impressed by his - how can I say this? - political intelligence = He didn't agree with me

This is how Tories think right?  = I don't agree with them

I genuinely have tried to think of a Tory I'd consider "good" and can't = I don't agree with them

The bar is so low.  Isn't it just, eh , Rhuby.  :tongue: 

The left has always had this delusional, inflated and wholly wrong view of it's alleged intellectual and humanitarian superiority, as the contents of this thread so far confirm.

:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:

Edited by JohnM, 12 November 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#37 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

This is how Tories think right?  = I don't agree with them

I genuinely have tried to think of a Tory I'd consider "good" and can't = I don't agree with them

The bar is so low.  Isn't it just, eh , Rhuby.  :tongue: 

In my opinion the bar is very low.  I hold the belief that if you vote on the basis of what is best for yourself then you are inherently a tory whether you're voting green/lib dem/labour or anything else.  In simplistic terms I think that tories vote for themselves and for the immediate future only and that is at fundamental odds with the attitude I have when I vote.  I vote for what I consider to be the best for the country in the short and long term, with the emphasis on the longer term.

That I find to be a tough thing to level out when judging their charactors.  I'm not saying that there aren't inherently good tories, it's just that I can't think of one off the top of my head.  I'm happy to be shown the error of my ways.  Just point one out.  I love the way that John Major is cited as a nice/good/honest bloke, when at the height of his political power when he was preaching about morals and back to basics values, he was nuts deep in Edwina Currie.  Yeah, nice fella.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 12 November 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#38 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

I love the way that John Major is cited as a nice/good/honest bloke, when at the height of his political power when he was preaching about morals and back to basics values, he was nuts deep in Edwina Currie.  Yeah, nice fella.

You should also consider the way he became leader of the Tory party and the ousting of Thatcher. Nice/good/honest blokes don't win in those situations (especially in politics and more especially in the Tory party) unless they are mischievous, devious and Machiavellian. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#39 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

You should also consider the way he became leader of the Tory party and the ousting of Thatcher. Nice/good/honest blokes don't win in those situations (especially in politics and more especially in the Tory party) unless they are mischievous, devious and Machiavellian.

Especially the Tory party?
How long did Blair and brown spend briefing against each other over who should be in charge? Instead of actually running the country.
Are Ed and David speaking to each other yet?

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,881 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

he was nuts deep in Edwina Currie.  

I didn't want my lunch anyway.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users