57 replies to this topic

#41 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I didn't want my lunch anyway.

Certainly brings a new meaning to "I'm having leftover Currie for lunch"

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

I didn't expect to see my breakfast again, either.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Especially the Tory party?
How long did Blair and brown spend briefing against each other over who should be in charge? Instead of actually running the country.
Are Ed and David speaking to each other yet?

Yes, especially the Tory party, though, like I said, ALL politicians (no implication it is JUST Tories). I was referring particularly to Major and the Thatcher coup. Having read the Alan Clark diaries all I can say is with friends like those who needs enemies.  

Edited by Griff9of13, 12 November 2013 - 12:09 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#44 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

An interesting article in today's Indy on the subject that Major raised.  They scratch at a point but don't follow it through well enough I think.  The pursuit of happiness just isn't there for many people, it's all about status and more money.  I think a lot of people equate more money to more happiness when that's not really true.

For those at the top of the employment ladder, what's the point of working yourself 16 hours a day chasing status in a narcissistic, ego-driven miserable industry just to realise when you're 55-60 that you've done absolutely nothing of value to further your own happiness?  There's a reason why the 50-60 year old professional demographic is one of the highest growing suicide demographics in Britain, that's the age that they're getting pushed aside as "too old", never mind just simply ageing, you're too old at that age in many industries despite probably being at your real peak in terms of knowledge and experience.  I was doing some work at a top-end legal sector firm last week, very niche skills and very demanding of their fee-earners, not a single Partner is over 50 in the firm and only one is over 45, you're very clearly past it and put out to pasture when you're in your mid 40s in that firm.

For those at the bottom of the employment ladder, think back to when you were a child, were you just as poor, or poorer, then?  Were you happy in your childhood and did money really come into it?  If you were happy then, what's stopping you being happy now, even with a far more limited income than you'd like?  My cousin is probably the least content person I know, always whining about having no money yet he refuses to work and could almost be one of those stereotypical people referred to in that article that are on TV for better-off people to laugh at.  He has a bigger TV than me, he goes on more holidays than me (albeit to wildly different places than me) and he always seems to be going out, certainly going by his Facebook page of nightly exploits anyway yet his posts whining about having no money almost equal the number of posts about him spending money.  He'd be a psychologist's dream subject in a study of the chase for instant gratification without the corresponding effort.

Strangely enough, when I was doing my MBA work the thing that's stuck with me the most was a long section on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  It's one of the few psychological tools that actually concentrates on what makes us happier rather than studying things that are already broken.  It's quite simplistic in a number of ways but very clever in others, for example, no wonder people are unhappy if they spend their life chasing a very improbable lottery win when they're barely able to put food on the table.

I re-read that all and it sounds fairly condescending but then that's probably what comes from eating a 4 rasher smoked back bacon sandwich for lunch, obviously with HP brown sauce.  As my signature line says, money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you bacon which is close enough.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#45 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Surely you mean "eating" and not "having"?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#46 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Looking at john Major upper lip I think he has dined out too much on Currie.

#47 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

You're blaming thatcher for brown bailing out the banks? Wow. That's a leap.

Not really.

Thatcher/Lawson deregulated financial services. As with privatisation of the energy industry, the result was entirely predictable.

Sometimes the chickens take a while to come home to roost.

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#48 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

You're a wrong'un.

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

Do you wake up in the morning and scream, "Oh my god, what have I become?"

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#50 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

Do you wake up in the morning and scream, "Oh my god, what have I become?"

Look I'm sorry if you found my text arousing.  That wasn't my intention.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 November 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#51 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,161 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

You're blaming thatcher for brown bailing out the banks? Wow. That's a leap.

No I'm blaming Thatcher for the system that went bust in 2008 and had to be rescued. Thatcher was an absolute disaster for our country any way that you look at her and as time goes on and the spin fades she will be seen as such. Major spent most of his premiership clearing up the mess she'd made and lost the '97 election badly as a consequence. Blair could have won that election without slavishly following the Thatcher creed, but he didn't and 2008 was the eventual result.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#52 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

No I'm blaming Thatcher for the system that went bust in 2008 and had to be rescued. Thatcher was an absolute disaster for our country any way that you look at her and as time goes on and the spin fades she will be seen as such. Major spent most of his premiership clearing up the mess she'd made and lost the '97 election badly as a consequence. Blair could have won that election without slavishly following the Thatcher creed, but he didn't and 2008 was the eventual result.

Right on comrade…I hate Thatcher because she took my milk away when i was a nipper at nursery.

#53 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

It's funny but was watching a show a while ago on BBC4 about Post Punk band's and it had Pauline Black from The Selecter saying "Punk happened at a time when the country was a mess in 1976" and then say's the same thing in 1979 when 2Tone started ?

#54 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Right on comrade…I hate Thatcher because she took my milk away when i was a nipper at nursery.

Ha Ha, I doubt it. Thatcher would have only been a kid herself when Troj was a nipper. :D 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#55 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Just to be clear, or hopefully if somebody can clear it up. I had milk at school free milk. Maggie was already on the throne by then and not minister for education or milk stealing, but I still got it. I can remember the silver foil caps that had been pecked at by blue #### if the milkman had left the crate uncovered.

Would this have new because my school or my local authority funded it? It's puzzled me for years.

#56 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just to be clear, or hopefully if somebody can clear it up. I had milk at school free milk. Maggie was already on the throne by then and not minister for education or milk stealing, but I still got it. I can remember the silver foil caps that had been pecked at by blue #### if the milkman had left the crate uncovered.

Would this have new because my school or my local authority funded it? It's puzzled me for years.

Milk was gone by 1979 I think ?

#57 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

I can remember the silver foil caps that had been pecked at by blue #### if the milkman had left the crate uncovered.

Sorry but this is a hilarious bit of swear filter overenthusiasm.

#58 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Milk was gone by 1979 I think ?

Yes, and that's my point.  I didn't start junior school until after then, and yet we had milk each morning in little 1/3 pint bottles.  

Edited by Larry the Leit, 14 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users