Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

billy slater

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#61 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

So Slater puts his hands on the other guy's chest and taps him on the shoulder. Other guy doesn't take too kindly to this and pushes Slater in the side of his head. Slater then decks him.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. FWIW Slater looks pretty bevied up in that clip.

As for what his wife posted, I'd say it was a good job that woman was stood behind the bloke otherwise he could have quite easily ended up "King Hit" as the Aussies seem to call it.

Edited by foozler, 12 November 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#62 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Fair play to Slater he was hit first and retaliated with one punch, which from the CCTV clip was all it needed!!!

Just seen it and you can tell Slater is trying to calm the guy down or explain himself, then when the guy slaps him, Slater half turns his head as if to say ah sod this, have that.

#63 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I've not seen it, but one of the articles I read said "he could have been killed". Was this an overreaction?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#64 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

I've not seen it, but one of the articles I read said "he could have been killed". Was this an overreaction?

Who Slater or the womble that started it?

#65 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Who Slater or the womble that started it?

Slater

Slater's wife Nicole made an emotional post on Instagram on Monday, saying the player could have been killed in the incident.

"If he had king hit him and killed him I would have to raise my two kids alone," she wrote.

Edited by brooza, 12 November 2013 - 12:33 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#66 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Slater

Yeah just seen Slaters wife is saying he could've been killed, and the media calling it a "king hit" which I had to google. But if anyone delivered a king hit it was Slater. The punch form the other guy was a bit soft, or looked it. Slater delivered a pretty solid punch back.

#67 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Slater's wife was completely over the top in her reaction.

#68 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

The bloke he hit looked well tanked up.. hitting him with a feather would have probably knocked him over!.. but he deserved a dig for slapping Slater in the way that he did, and without any cause.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#69 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Reminds me of the Alex Ferguson "Van Persie could've been killed" when he had the ball kicked at his head.

#70 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

No she wasn't.

She is thousands of miles away and the frequency of people being killed,in this country,as a result of a single punch is high - particularly where alcohol is involved

and when the punch is delivered in the early hours of the morning.

Try a Freedom of Information request.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#71 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Wish it was Thurston.

how immature.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

No she wasn't.
She is thousands of miles away and the frequency of people being killed,in this country,as a result of a single punch is high - particularly where alcohol is involved
and when the punch is delivered in the early hours of the morning.
Try a Freedom of Information request.

yes she was.

She may as well said if he had been stabbed he could have died.

#73 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Mrs Slater said "IF the punch was a king pin hit" not that "it was a king pin hit". There have been a number of cases where one punch has sadly killed somebody

http://www.mancheste...-police-5758169

http://news.ninemsn....e-punch-killing

http://www.cbsnews.c...2-20077324.html

Maybe Mrs Slater was OTT, but I believe her father was killed in such an incident and after hearing what happened was obviously very upset and shocked. People saying Billy should not be out should really wind their neck in. Why is it OK for everybody else to go out and enjoy themselves but sportsmen not? 5 weeks away from home and the guys are not allowed to go for drinks. And most people aged around 30 will stay out until the early morning. The Kangeroos had a day off and the players allowed to be "normal" people and have a good time.

#74 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

Mrs Slater said "IF the punch was a king pin hit" not that "it was a king pin hit". There have been a number of cases where one punch has sadly killed somebody

S
Maybe Mrs Slater was OTT, but I believe her father was killed in such an incident and after hearing what happened was obviously very upset and shocked. People saying Billy should not be out should really wind their neck in. Why is it OK for everybody else to go out and enjoy themselves but sportsmen not? 5 weeks away from home and the guys are not allowed to go for drinks. And most people aged around 30 will stay out until the early morning. The Kangeroos had a day off and the players allowed to be "normal" people and have a good time.

So equally the guy slater actually DID king hit could also have been killed?

#75 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

While I don't dispute it is fine for players to have a few post game drinks and to relax I do think being out till almost 3am is a bit late mid tournament. I'd also say what was he doing wandering around at that hour alone? I always thought there was a spirit of togetherness while touring? If I were on the other side of the world in a strange city there's no way I'd be letting a mate of mine go off alone knowing he'd had one too many.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#76 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

So equally the guy slater actually DID king hit could also have been killed?

Billy didn't king hit him. A king hit is generally unexpected and the first punch. The other chap had already started proceedings.

"King hit" is used so commonly in Australia I sometimes forget it may not be used elsewhere.

#77 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Billy didn't king hit him. A king hit is generally unexpected and the first punch. The other chap had already started proceedings.

"King hit" is used so commonly in Australia I sometimes forget it may not be used elsewhere.

Well OK, whatever the term, my point still stands.

#78 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

The same applies to Slater and his punch, which certainly looked more effective than the one he received (which was more a slap than a punch). 

Given that Slater deals with random arms, legs, hands and feet bashing into him on a weekly basis I do rather think that his wife's reaction was a tad hysterical, regardless of where in the world they both are. 

Next time maybe he may think twice about trying to jump a queue!

#79 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

The same applies to Slater and his punch, which certainly looked more effective than the one he received (which was more a slap than a punch). 

Given that Slater deals with random arms, legs, hands and feet bashing into him on a weekly basis I do rather think that his wife's reaction was a tad hysterical, regardless of where in the world they both are. 

Next time maybe he may think twice about trying to jump a queue!

Was he jumping in a queue?
It was reported he had left his Jacket behind and was returning for it.

Was he supposed to line up for an hour to do that?

The video shows him trying to explain or tell the man this before he hits Slater.

Edited by boxhead, 13 November 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#80 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

I can't believe how people can get so wound up over this and argue about it! 1) if you heve never been on tour then you cannot comment about how free time is spent. touring is stressful, and relaxation is very important.
2) his wife did not over react. I know my wife would be upset and scared if that happened to me. people do get killed when in scuffles. 3) he didn't really have any option but to hit him back. I would do exactly the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users