TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

billy slater

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#81 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

I can't believe how people can get so wound up over this and argue about it! 1) if you heve never been on tour then you cannot comment about how free time is spent. touring is stressful, and relaxation is very important.
2) his wife did not over react. I know my wife would be upset and scared if that happened to me. people do get killed when in scuffles. 3) he didn't really have any option but to hit him back. I would do exactly the same thing.

Of course he had an option, he didn't 'have' to belt him back, he got a soft slap to the head then retaliated with a full on punch to the head.

#82 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

Of course he had an option, he didn't 'have' to belt him back, he got a soft slap to the head then retaliated with a full on punch to the head.

I'm struggling to understand why you have an issue here.

What would Kev have done?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#83 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Absolutely right. What a bloody over reaction from Slater. The guy taps him on the side of the face, and ends up getting laid out for his trouble.

Slater's reaction was pathetic, but nowhere as silly as that of his wife.

#84 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

Absolutely right. What a bloody over reaction from Slater. The guy taps him on the side of the face, and ends up getting laid out for his trouble.

Slater's reaction was pathetic, but nowhere as silly as that of his wife.

if someone did that to my head I'd assume a 2nd hit was coming and hit back just as Slater did to prevent it.

#85 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

the bloke tried starting trouble, slater finished it. a perfectly legal thing to do, it must have been, the police thought so. if he had tried to walk away the guy might of hit him again because he thinks slater was an easy target.

#86 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Lads on the booze , someone hits you in the head , if you've been punched in the head lots you'll know that there is little gauging how heavy the hit is unless it's a sickening thud and you are in trouble / losing your legs.

Otherwise your brain just registers that you've been hit in the head and it overwhelms your senses , especially if you're not prepped for it / there is no loading up / square up or any of the signals that telegraph that you're about to get whacked.

Taken by surprise ( remember it's not like watching it removed as an observer ) Instinct kicks in. You either back off ( not through some rational at you key board thought process ) out of a flight reaction , or you brain snap and react.

Slater throws straight away , he doesn't wait to get a sly perfect hit in , he just fires and aims better than the drunkard that hit him.

The guy is so out of it he isn't even of a mind to cover up or keep swinging , he just throws an ineffectual cave man 'punch out ' because he has an anger management problem.

I don't like that the bloke got hit.

But if I wacked anyone in the way he did ( good punch / useless punch ) then I would reasonably expect that the person might react.

It's 'reasonable to expect that if you behave like that you will get hit.

Slater did him a favor in the Jungle scheme of things that is the Street. Should he have gone on from that experience thinking that behavior has no immediate physical consequence.....then someone will likely do much worse to the fellah.

Sounds like screwy logic but it's a reality.

Edited by mt smart, 14 November 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#87 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

I have now written to GMP advising them that Thurston, Cronk and Inglis were indeed involved off camera and advised they should all be taken into custody until the first December because I can't give evidence till that date
I am awaiting a reply

#88 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Have a word. So in that situation you think you would logically think things thruogh and weigh up the pros and cons and consider your options, or would you just react. It wasn't that soft a slap it was enough to move Slaters head, and I don't know about you but any slap/punch or even push in the face is threatening. Slater was obviously trying to be reasonable with the guy and explain what he was doing, he wasn't been agressive, he turned his head for a second and the coward hit him. Doesn't matter how hard it is the guy hit him in the face. He got what he deserved and probably a lot less had he hit someone with less reasoning.

Don't forget Slater was in a crowd, how did he know what was coming next or where from. Ishe supposed to stand there and let someone hit him in the face and wait until the guy has stoppped hitting him then reason it out. It was a reaction.

#89 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Actually I think it could've been worse looking ta it again, if the bouncer hadn't pulled Slater away and got inbetween them, cos Slater is about to steam in and follow up. Plus teh girl walking behind cops a headbut from the guy Slater punches. I think Slater is lucky the bouncer was there, what he did was reaction, if he had followed up he'd be in a whole lot of bother.

#90 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

think its harsh to pull Slater. The other guy had proven he was a loose cannon by pushing Slater's face. Does Slater need to wait to get a proper punch before defending himself?

#91 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

think its harsh to pull Slater. The other guy had proven he was a loose cannon by pushing Slater's face. Does Slater need to wait to get a proper punch before defending himself?

Exactly, I really don't think people who are having a go at Slater live in the real world or have ever been in that situation, lucky for them. Instincts kick in, some peoples instincts are to back off and run, others are to counter. He's a competitive athlete, what do you think his natural reaction is going to be. The guy deserved it, he wasn't an innocent bystander, a little cowardly scrote who thought he was Billy 10 men with some booze down him. There are a lot of them about in Manchester, especially after Man Yoo have played, which they had that day.

#92 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Exactly, I really don't think people who are having a go at Slater live in the real world or have ever been in that situation, lucky for them. Instincts kick in, some peoples instincts are to back off and run, others are to counter. He's a competitive athlete, what do you think his natural reaction is going to be. The guy deserved it, he wasn't an innocent bystander, a little cowardly scrote who thought he was Billy 10 men with some booze down him. There are a lot of them about in Manchester, especially after Man Yoo have played, which they had that day.

I think it is a case of the guy who decked the other one got nicked. Then they saw he didn't do owt wrong and off he toddled. Did they nick the other chap? If so, I think it is fair enough. Kept them both til they knew what happened.

As for lots of guys like him out and about in Manc, I lived there for 10 years and only had run ins with two or three such types...

#93 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm struggling to understand why you have an issue here.

What would Kev have done?

I don't have an issue at all, nightclub scuffle that's it but to suggest Slater had no choice but to smack him one is just stupid.

#94 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

He acted appropriately to the situation. Anyone who says anything different have no idea and love copping it from others on a regular basis.

Anybody that does that to someone is an idiot and must be dealt with straight away otherwise you are opening yourself up for more of the same.

#95 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

I don't have an issue at all, nightclub scuffle that's it but to suggest Slater had no choice but to smack him one is just stupid.

I am not a fighter, not even when I was younger.

Occasionally a situation arose where another person hit me, I never considered the option of not hitting him back, several times if possible.

It always worked out for me, you have to defend yourself or the #### that seem to be on the rise are having a win.

#96 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

I am not a fighter, not even when I was younger.
Occasionally a situation arose where another person hit me, I never considered the option of not hitting him back, several times if possible.
It always worked out for me, you have to defend yourself or the #### that seem to be on the rise are having a win.

He still had a choice though, slater punching back could have escalated the thing into a full on brawl.

Look I don't actually have a problem with what slater did I just take issue with people saying that the only option was to punch in return.

Put it in a rugby contex, are people saying that the only way to react to a punch is to throw one back? (Mr Ablett disagrees)

#97 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

He still had a choice though, slater punching back could have escalated the thing into a full on brawl.

Look I don't actually have a problem with what slater did I just take issue with people saying that the only option was to punch in return.

Put it in a rugby contex, are people saying that the only way to react to a punch is to throw one back? (Mr Ablett disagrees)

Yep, I'd agree with that.

He had a choice. 

I have no issues with his choice of smacking the bloke back.

#98 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Chris I hear what you are saying.

I think for many people you can talk your way out of situations and try to calm a confrontation down.

For me at least, If I get hit, all of that goes out the window and instincts kick in.

Its not a reasoned thoughtful process, its a reaction that is impulsive.

#99 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Chris I hear what you are saying.

I think for many people you can talk your way out of situations and try to calm a confrontation down.

For me at least, If I get hit, all of that goes out the window and instincts kick in.

Its not a reasoned thoughtful process, its a reaction that is impulsive.

And from the brief footage it looks like Slater was trying to calm the guy down and explain, he wasn't been confrontational, so if you've already tried one option and it hasn't worked and the person you are speaking to only has one thing in my mind when you have been reasonable, how long do you keep trying to calm him down, how many times do you let him hit you. what if Slater had stepped back and carried on been non confrontational, no doubt the guy would have been bulled up with confidence and hit him again.

#100 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

And from the brief footage it looks like Slater was trying to calm the guy down and explain, he wasn't been confrontational, so if you've already tried one option and it hasn't worked and the person you are speaking to only has one thing in my mind when you have been reasonable, how long do you keep trying to calm him down, how many times do you let him hit you. what if Slater had stepped back and carried on been non confrontational, no doubt the guy would have been bulled up with confidence and hit him again.

I am with you.

Don't pander to Bullies and ######witts, it feeds them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users