Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What is the World Cup telling us about UK Rugby League?

London Wales Ireland

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

That's not a fact, we have four league clubs in Devon alone....

You aren't allowed to use real facts you know!

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

I think the world cup has been a massive success for the supporters has there been huge interest outside the heartland. . Probably not. It wasn't helped by the bbc covering it to be honest. I would like to know the percentage of fans attending who didn't come from the m62 corridor. I hope it was lots.
I personally attended 3 games and didn't hear many non northern accents.
I also hope the day will come when traditional clubs the rfl has forgotten get us back to a stronger game.
I don't think London has worked over the years. I do think
Catalan has been a success. Wales was never going to work. The rfl should realise the Welsh have a tradition of union just as much as Hull or Saint Helena has league.
If the rfl had spent all the money they waste on expansion on the traditional areas of the game things may be different.
As it is we havethe greatest game in the world all played within 15 miles of the m62, I for one rejoice in the fact and dont really care if it stays that way.

Can I take this opportunity to thank napoleon for all the grass roots work he did all those years ago
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I wouldn't know about that but people are using the argument that decent crowds in Leigh etc are an indication that we should retreat to the 'heartlands'. My experience of this WC screams the opposite.

How many non Cumbrians travelled up to Workington do you think?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

How many non Cumbrians travelled up to Workington do you think?

I have no idea. How many Cumbrians went to Wembley? But the fact that the games in Cumbria got good crowds is down to good organisation and promotion by the RLWC mob.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have no idea. How many Cumbrians went to Wembley? But the fact that the games in Cumbria got good crowds is down to good organisation and promotion by the RLWC mob.

Agreed
And mr mullaney misses the point
If the majority of people at these games were Cumbrians it goes to show what can be achieve when they unite and forget their pathetic small town rivalries
I went to games in leeds Wales and wembley
My grandson worked as a volunteer at those games as well as at Halifax and Leigh
We both encountered people from all over the world and from all sorts if backgrounds.
Edit: we are at the culmination of a world wide event that has been a massive success. It has opened eyes and hopefully minds: gratifyingly the eyes and minds that have been opened have been from the big wide world out there
Sadly that doesn't seem the case from one or two predictable quarters within rugby league
I'm not going to let it take the shine off my pleasure and elation

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 November 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Keeping it local

#46 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

the 3 bigest provincial games.. huddersfield, hull, wigan
Not all the fans at these games came from these towns but most didnt travel far.
Wembley was a great effort by all concerned and nearly sold out.
Would it have sold out in Manchester? Most probably.
In Cardiff ? Not likely.
Its a shame but there doesnt seem to be a market for a superleague team in London or in Wales.
Sport is usually built on tradition. The Afl doesnt seem to suffer only being played in Australia. The average attendance for a sport played "in such a small area" is over 33, 000.
It would be interesting to see how big crowds would be if leigh where in superleague and if saints and wigan crowds would suffer because they are in such a small area.

#47 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Agreed
And mr mullaney misses the point
If the majority of people at these games were Cumbrians it goes to show what can be achieve when they unite and forget their pathetic small town rivalries
I went to games in leeds Wales and wembley
My grandson worked as a volunteer at those games as well as at Halifax and Leigh
We both encountered people from all over the world and from all sorts if backgrounds.

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Not with you Charlie. As much as I think AFL is possibly the worst sport going, it isn't played over a small area. One country perhaps but a big one all the same. The areas they have expanded into have been properly funded and supported, not left to rot like London.

#49 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

There is nothing pathetic about small town rivalry. Its what made rugby league in the first place ! Hull fc would be nowt without hkr. Ask wigan fans if they wouldnt want a saints pathetic my bum.

#50 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Large area small population and its not expanded far. They obviously dont think its the worst sport going. Its a traditional game for the people that play it and watch it.
But you are right I just dont get it either.

#51 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

There is nothing pathetic about small town rivalry. Its what made rugby league in the first place ! Hull fc would be nowt without hkr. Ask wigan fans if they wouldnt want a saints pathetic my bum.

Hull is not a small town
Neither are Wigan and St. Helens
The rivalry becomes pathetic when it becomes counterproductive and people are too self interested to recognise the fact
This is about the World Cup and people have reduced a discussion about its undoubted impact to the lowest common denominator sad but not surprising

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 November 2013 - 10:20 PM.

Keeping it local

#52 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

+ 1 Charlie
The World Cup has been an outstanding success and, despite what some think, has rekindled the enthusiasm of many people who had long since lost interest as well as capturing the imagination of those new to the game. Lets harness that now and give those people a reason to keep coming. Hope and aspiration for all clubs and their fans with a clear and achievable pathway yo the top would be a good starting point.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 25 November 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

the 3 bigest provincial games.. huddersfield, hull, wigan
Not all the fans at these games came from these towns but most didnt travel far.
Wembley was a great effort by all concerned and nearly sold out.
Would it have sold out in Manchester? Most probably.
In Cardiff ? Not likely.
Its a shame but there doesnt seem to be a market for a superleague team in London or in Wales.
Sport is usually built on tradition. The Afl doesnt seem to suffer only being played in Australia. The average attendance for a sport played "in such a small area" is over 33, 000.
It would be interesting to see how big crowds would be if leigh where in superleague and if saints and wigan crowds would suffer because they are in such a small area.

What tradition are you referring to?
The traditions that this World Cup
Have been built on are open mindedness, progressiveness, adaptation, and innovation
Keeping it local

#54 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Large area small population and its not expanded far. They obviously dont think its the worst sport going. Its a traditional game for the people that play it and watch it.
But you are right I just dont get it either.

AFL has expanded into Sydney. That is not a traditional area. How did they do it? By hoping for the best?

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Damn this world cup. It seems to bring mergers back on the agenda.

Big games with no affinity with either team = 7,000 paying fans

Derby with fierce local rivalry = 1,500 paying fans.

#56 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

The world cup was to try and spread the game of rugby league. I truly hope this happens. Attendances appear to show that people from the so called heartlands with traditions in the game flock to see these games. I have no idea where people who post on here are from but really! You cant ask people to forget a hundred years of tradition its not small minded to have a rivalry with another town its also not counterproductive. The rivalry in rl. Is usually very healthy and great fun to be around, and immersed in.

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

The world cup was to try and spread the game of rugby league. I truly hope this happens. Attendances appear to show that people from the so called heartlands with traditions in the game flock to see these games. I have no idea where people who post on here are from but really! You cant ask people to forget a hundred years of tradition its not small minded to have a rivalry with another town its also not counterproductive. The rivalry in rl. Is usually very healthy and great fun to be around, and immersed in.

The World Cup was to try and do all sorts if things
Again what traditions are you referring to?
I'm a traditionalist but what you are talking about doesn't relate to rugby league tradition at all
Keeping it local

#58 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

AFL has expanded into Sydney. That is not a traditional area. How did they do it? By hoping for the best?

1903 first afl side in sidney so we should have an established side in london sometime around 2099

#59 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

Damn this world cup. It seems to bring mergers back on the agenda.

Big games with no affinity with either team = 7,000 paying fans

Derby with fierce local rivalry = 1,500 paying fans.

So are you saying that a merged team that no one had any affinity to would pull in a regular 7000 Parky?

#60 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

So are you saying that a merged team that no one had any affinity to would pull in a regular 7000 Parky?

If I may be so bold
No and that's what's so pathetic about it
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users