Cumbria for Super league

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,239 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

As above and just to add that cumbria is not poor and has some of the most affluent areas in the north. Barrow and the west coast is part of the energy coast that has seen massive growth.
It's not about hurting the individual clubs it's about giving cumbria the chance of real success at the pinnacle of rugby league. It would be good for the game overall which is what I really care about.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,239 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

As above and just to add that cumbria is not poor and has some of the most affluent areas in the north. Barrow and the west coast is part of the energy coast that has seen massive growth.
It's not about hurting the individual clubs it's about giving cumbria the chance of real success at the pinnacle of rugby league. It would be good for the game overall which is what I really care about.

You've got me interested

Tell me more

And no stuff about dreams please

Keeping it local

#43 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Wigan is Cumbria nearest team . Maybe look at spreading north slowly Bolton Reebox stadium would be a great venue for super league as would Deepdale in Preston.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#44 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Wigan is Cumbria nearest team . Maybe look at spreading north slowly Bolton Reebox stadium would be a great venue for super league as would Deepdale in Preston.

With respect, these areas would be starting from scratch and would be competing for players/fans/ sponsers with wigan,

Cumbria has it all but super league. .......

#45 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

What would craven park, the recre, and Derwent park be used for the rest if the time?

Would you have three sets of groundstaff? Three times the maintenance and upkeep?

Not to mention the rejection of the pathetic small town finalists?

The area whilst being passionate about the game is sparsely populated and poor and the population scattered

No different to West Tiger's in the NRL.

#46 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Perhaps the RU should look at getting PL Union into Cornwall.

More geographically practical what about the Scottish RU team and the fact that the main hotbed for Scottish RU no longer has a top flight team?

Would Scotland be doing better if they had managed to keep funding the Borders side in the Celtic League rather than retreat to soccer mad Glasgow and indifferent (outside the internationals at Murrayfield) Edinburgh?

True if some silly team can pop up and down like Leeds Tykes or London Welsh in the Rah Rah £££ league then the Border's team should be allowed to play in top flight instead of some false region team that don't work in Scotland/Wales and New Zealand.

#47 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Cumbrian Rovers SL could possibly work ..........if the RFL Wanted it too. 

They would have to partner up for say 10 years to promote it and help it lay its foundations, Different rules & dispensation would have to apply to this new development area while this bedding in process was going on, by that I mean extra finance & development offices & policing of the old boys warring factions until common sense prevailed.

Extra cash on development and keeping Cumbria's cream of the crop away from the M62 or elsewhere OR the RFL make the Buying SL club COMPENSATE the selling Cumbrian minnow until parity is restored.

Cumbria's hot bed of RL talent & support is the furthest from the M6 as you can get without getting wet, why in include Penrith, Kendal & the Windermere area into this development process ? These area's per capita have the most wealth and the best road links to the M6 (for the opposing teams & support)

Both Workington & Barrow have 2 dying sports clubs each playing in 2 tired old stadiums, "Could" the RFL get together with the FA & various sports grant writers/authorities and bang both clubs heads together and come up with a package that's just too good to turn down & where they sell each ###### stadium and build a modern stadium that accommodates both clubs for the betterment of each towns sporting communities & youth ?

This then could be replicated across the UK where Town's or Cities have 2 or 3 old dying stadia or tracks that are financial graveyards and not fit & proper for todays world.

You would have a quality stadium in both W & S Cumbria, Carlisle Uniteds ground could also see infrastructure investment then N Cumbria would have a modern facility, add another in Kendal or Penrith and you've covered the County.

Raise RL's profile in Central Cumbria and you'll increase the playing gene pool as well as the spectator one.

Sorry all of this is just idea's that came to mind while reading this thread, some of it may be worth considering though probably not much of it.

#48 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Calling town a dying sports club is very wrong, since hitting rock bottom several years ago some exceptional people have put in massive effort to see us stabalise initially then see gradual progress.

#49 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,239 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

No different to West Tiger's in the NRL.

are you serious?

Keeping it local

#50 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,239 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Calling town a dying sports club is very wrong, since hitting rock bottom several years ago some exceptional people have put in massive effort to see us stabalise initially then see gradual progress.

Town have done superbly to put themselves back on firm foundations over the last few years

Keeping it local

#51 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Town have done superbly to put themselves back on firm foundations over the last few years

One of the few clubs to have broke even or even been profitable a few years ago. Our board have been fantastic in cutting there cloth accordingly. And they did excellent work in hosting the world cup games.

#52 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

workington have some extremely talented young players coming through. like the phillips brothers, hopefull denis signs them up for widnes.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#53 wilson

wilson
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

I think you'll find Mick Wilson (no relation) was talking about the two town's soccer clubs. Hence the suggestion to get the FA involved in any stadium talks.

#54 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

The football club in Workington effectively scuppered the chances of a stadium being developed with the money that was available from Tesco. A few councillors also had agendas and then saw Workington Reds as allies to further their case.
Money was available to develop a sporting centre and community facilities at the time. Now the Reds aren't in that healthy position as regards their ground and today the local council announced the location of the new sports centre for the town, lets see if it has the same objections.
Also, in Barrow, I believe that the football club and its supporters hold an 'over my dead body' position regarding a groundshare agreement in any new or existing stadium with Barrow RL. There was talk around developing a site near to the docks and this is where the anti-groundshare voices came to the fore and showed their true colours.
So, in summary, I don't think Cumbrian RL clubs will be sharing with football clubs any time soon, much to their loss.

#55 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Sorry dkw, I worded it badly I was really referring to W-Reds rather than Town who were going nowhere fast, same can be said for BAFC

#56 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

In the Workington / Whitehaven areas there is a joint population of around 180,000 people. There is a fairly strong amateur game with two clubs, Wath Brow and Egremont, competing at the top end of the Conference Premier Division.

Workington owns it's own stadium which is almost 60 years old and even after a £400k makeover for the world cup it is still, underneath, a decaying stadium. The land on which it is built is owned by the council but when it was built Town were granted a 150 year lease which included the surrounding land. That lease expires in 2106.

Whitehaven play on the Recreation Ground which is part of the 13 acres of charity land in the trust of the Whitehaven Social Welfare Scheme formerly the Miners Welfare. Haven don't have a very long lease on the ground and were hoping to get a 25 or 50 year lease in order to try to obtain grants to modernise the ground. Because it is charity land, the Charity Commission are reluctant to allow long length leases and therefore Haven's ground could never be their own.

Given these facts and the fact that there is a thriving college and other educational facilities mid-way between the two towns, to the outsiders it makes perfect sense to look to build a combined stadium close to the college where it can be used by the college and the RFL academy based there. The main stumbling block is finance and attitudes of diehards at both clubs.

I believe there is the potential for a thriving SL club here it just needs the finance to get it going.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#57 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Sorry dkw, I worded it badly I was really referring to W-Reds rather than Town who were going nowhere fast, same can be said for BAFC

Ah right, I definitely cant argue with that then.

#58 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

With respect, these areas would be starting from scratch and would be competing for players/fans/ sponsers with wigan,Cumbria has it all but super league. .......

....or a desire to work together to make it happen.

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,239 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

In the Workington / Whitehaven areas there is a joint population of around 180,000 people. There is a fairly strong amateur game with two clubs, Wath Brow and Egremont, competing at the top end of the Conference Premier Division.

Workington owns it's own stadium which is almost 60 years old and even after a £400k makeover for the world cup it is still, underneath, a decaying stadium. The land on which it is built is owned by the council but when it was built Town were granted a 150 year lease which included the surrounding land. That lease expires in 2106.

Whitehaven play on the Recreation Ground which is part of the 13 acres of charity land in the trust of the Whitehaven Social Welfare Scheme formerly the Miners Welfare. Haven don't have a very long lease on the ground and were hoping to get a 25 or 50 year lease in order to try to obtain grants to modernise the ground. Because it is charity land, the Charity Commission are reluctant to allow long length leases and therefore Haven's ground could never be their own.

Given these facts and the fact that there is a thriving college and other educational facilities mid-way between the two towns, to the outsiders it makes perfect sense to look to build a combined stadium close to the college where it can be used by the college and the RFL academy based there. The main stumbling block is finance and attitudes of diehards at both clubs.

I believe there is the potential for a thriving SL club here it just needs the finance to get it going.

That is really enlightening

Thanks

Keeping it local

#60 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't know the area at all, but I'd suggest that in an area with 180,000 people and a very strong Rugby League history, we'd be better off not looking at potential support amongst the hardcore 2,500 Haven/Town fans. Rather we (or any new club) should be concentrating on the 177,500 other people who live there. The current hardcore will either buy in or not, but it's the others that will make or break any new venture.

The response to the RLWC games staged there perhaps gives us a hint as to what that response might be.

Edited by nadera78, 14 November 2013 - 07:11 PM.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users