Had Sky covered the World Cup

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

For those that missed the Sky coverage of the RLWC,Stevo was mainly 'confused' and 'furious',whilst randamly shouting out 'forward pass' after every terrific try,whilst his analysis consisted of suggesting that every time someone kicked to a winger,the coach had spotted a defensive weakness.Hemmings commentary consisted of variations on,'White,to Brown,tackled by Green,the Irish international'.

The two are an embarassment to sports journalism and utterly ruin Sky's,otherwise impressive coverage of rugby league.Frankly,I'm amazed the RFL haven't insisted the pair are removed.I know at least one Chairman of a Super League club who agrees.

#22 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yeah they never have and they never will.  The old prejudices are still well and truly set in stone over at BBC towers.  Which is why they don't get any money for their rip off TV license off me.  They don't satisfy my needs as a viewer, and so I don't satisfy their need to laugh all the way to the bank :-)

BBC1

BBC2

BBC3

BBC4

CBBC

CBeebies

Radio 1

Radio 2

Radio 3

Radio 4

Five Live

6Music

Countless other stations

One of the leading websites in the country

iPlayer

£145 a year.

Yeah, the BBC. What a load of rubbish.

#23 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Personally, I've found the BBC and Premier Sports a pleasant change from Sky, whose presentation's been looking increasingly tired and stereotyped lately. A complete change in presenters would help, but with Eddie and Stevo contracted to the end of the current agreement that'd be too much to hope for!

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,587 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Oh, the joys of hindsight! If Sky, PS and the BBC (and whoever else, like BT) had been able to predict what a brilliant and thrilling event this was going to be, they'd all have offered more cash and promised more coverage.

As it is, they probably looked back at the last RWC held in the Northern Hemisphere and based their judgments on that. And they also, quite possibly, listened to the code's own home-grown Jeremiahs, who were "only telling it like it is" and "weren't here to be cheerleaders" before the event.

And, anyway, who among us, however positive, really expected stories like the USA or Scotland?

We have to be realistic and look at 2013 as a prestige-earning event, which should pay back handsomely when it comes to future tournaments.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 FullFat

FullFat
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think the PS coverage has been fantastic, my only gripe is the lack of a HD picture!

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

i've thoroughly enjoyed the PS coverage, the commentary has been superb..
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

Premier have been excellent in that they show every game live and they have used some good commentators, but I do think some people are being very forgiving based on their dislike of Sky.

Things I have missed from lack of Sky coverage:

- pre-match discussion

- stats and graphics

- half time analysis

Things I have found poor with Premier:

-  Robbie Hunter-Paul, Halligan, Ramsdale, Rea are pretty depressing and all worse than anything Sky has.

- camerawork - been happy with the angles actually, not found an issue but the speed of transition and the fact replays are often showing us missing action on the field.

- the fact that we had technical issues for the Cok v USA game

Ultimately they have done a very good job, but it does come across as cheap coverage compared to Sky.

Eddie and Stevo don't annoy me so much that I wouldn't want them to have covered this event. I agree with Padge's point on another thread though about variety, we don't need the same commentators at every game.

#28 Southern Tiger

Southern Tiger
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Really pleased with the Premiere Sports package apart from initially when recording a game is ended premeturely to the scheduled time, I've got round this by recording games to include the following program. Also Andrew Voss has been first class - way better than Eddie  & Stevo. I see PS are also providing coverage of all NRL games next season along with SOO and CH1 so I'm sticking with it. I would like to see them bid for SL too in order that we find out what the SL TV deal should be worth. There's nothing like some serious competition.

If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

Posted Image

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I haven't missed stats ... No Phil Clarke . Heaven ! Sooner sky drop him and his professor of rugby psychobabble the better

#30 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Had SKY covered the World Cup, I wouldn't have seen any of the non BBC broadcast matches for the reason that I don't subscribe to SKY as it costs too much.

Being able to subscribe to Premier for a month at a time at an affordable rate has been great. Occasional problems with the feed have been frustrating but that may be as much to do with my home wireless network as anything else (think I should invest what I saved on SKY in a 30ft long network cable). So overall very happy with Premier, the callers have been good, and I whilst I will be ending my subscription at the end of November, I will certainly consider re-subscribing to Premier for the NRL finals season.

• abd likes this

#31 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Had SKY covered the World Cup, I wouldn't have seen any of the non BBC broadcast matches for the reason that I don't subscribe to SKY as it costs too much.

You wouldn't have seen any of the matches, as the deal Sky were offerering didn't allow for the BBC to have any matches, which is the main reason we went with PS

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#32 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am pleased that the starting point for this is that we could only go with the best deal on offer at the time. Looking ahead, in the international we now have a product with a track record and a reputation, so our ability to call the shots is immensely improved. I would be astonished if 2017 and 2021 weren't both on Sky.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I am pleased that the starting point for this is that we could only go with the best deal on offer at the time. Looking ahead, in the international we now have a product with a track record and a reputation, so our ability to call the shots is immensely improved. I would be astonished if 2017 and 2021 weren't both on Sky.

I thought BBC already had 2017 England RLWC coverage (may have that wrong though)

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

You wouldn't have seen any of the matches, as the deal Sky were offerering didn't allow for the BBC to have any matches, which is the main reason we went with PS

Do we know that for certain, or was it the fact that they wouldn't get any exclusives for the England games?

Sky have been ok with sharing coverage for tournaments in recent years and did exactly this in 2000.

#35 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

If what Brooza says is true, then please only give Sky the rights on the condition the BBC gets to show a load free to air.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Do we know that for certain, or was it the fact that they wouldn't get any exclusives for the England games?

Either would have been disastrous.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Either would have been disastrous.

I don't think it would have been disastrous.

Had one England game been shown on Sky exclusively plus shared coverage of other games, I think we could have lived with that. The benefits of having games like NZ v Samoa on a more popular network could have been really positive.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Had one England game been shown on Sky exclusively plus shared coverage of other games,

Sky don't share.

Because evil.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

replays are often showing us missing action on the field.

Agree with this, as it's one of the things that annoys me the most in the whole world. Just show the freaking game when the ball's in play!

However, Sky were just as bad at times this season. The BBC have always done this.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

For those that missed the Sky coverage of the RLWC,Stevo was mainly 'confused' and 'furious',whilst randamly shouting out 'forward pass' after every terrific try,whilst his analysis consisted of suggesting that every time someone kicked to a winger,the coach had spotted a defensive weakness.Hemmings commentary consisted of variations on,'White,to Brown,tackled by Green,the Irish international'.

Lol I wouldn't mind but I can just hear that commentary in my head now.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users