Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Had Sky covered the World Cup

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I haven't missed stats ... No Phil Clarke . Heaven ! Sooner sky drop him and his professor of rugby psychobabble the better

Bores me stupid. As soon as he starts I turn off (not the TV) And that traffic light nonsense.

#42 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

What is interesting is that because of the lack of live coverage from Sky, none of the coaches appear to be "furious" at any point during the games :)

#43 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

What is interesting is that because of the lack of live coverage from Sky, none of the coaches appear to be "furious" at any point during the games :)

No but one was caught out by the wife who didn't know he was over here and she had spotted him live on TV and was on the phone to him and he was explaining where he was. According to Vossy that was :-)

#44 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Sky have a good commentary pair staring term in the face ... Rod Studd and Brian Carney . They don't need a job lot of hangers on and the old tiresome twosome . Just two guys who are professional and humorous . The penny should drop for the brains at Sky ...

#45 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yes, and amazingly it seems to be possible for both teams to be playing well, poorly or indifferently at the same time. I thought I'd learnt from Sky that one team was always running the show with a good kicking game and their opponent all over the shop.

Although that could turn around quickly with a try from the team previously all over the shop, possibly following a message going out from the furious coach.

Edited by Just Browny, 12 November 2013 - 06:57 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#46 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes, and amazingly it seems to be possible for both teams to be playing well, poorly or indifferently at the same time. I thought I'd learnt from Sky that one team was always running the show with a good kicking game and their opponent all over the shop.

Although that could turn around quickly with a try from the team previously all over the shop, possibly following a message going out from the furious coach.

Or a short kick over the top.

#47 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Personally I don't mind Daryl Halligan. He has got an unusual way of speaking but him and Andrew Voss are great together in my view.

#48 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Personally I don't mind Daryl Halligan. He has got an unusual way of speaking but him and Andrew Voss are great together in my view.

Agreed...The pair are a breath of fresh air.It would be great if Andrew Voss could get a contract calling the games for next season either on Premier or Sky.

#49 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

The biggest thing has just been a break from the same old same old. I hope that the Sky team have looked at the World Cup, how it has been broadcast and how it has been received by viewers and the public at large, and set out to refresh their coverage so that it is better than anything we've seen to date.

#50 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

next Saturdays quarter is at 8pm on a Saturday - not q great slot for sport.

But that may be based on the how the tournament is organised rather than the BBC.  England would have played either Saturday or Sunday evening depending on who got into the quarters from their matching group.  Whether the BBC demanded this weekend as an evening slot or whether they responded to the timetable accordingly we will probably never know but unless or until we do, we can't really dump the blame on the BBC can we?

I doubt we will attract 2.2 million on Saturday night as there will be much competition for viewers from BBC1 but you never know.

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

As for the OP, I've enjoyed a break from Sky. Although there have been hiccups here and there, I have thoroughly enjoyed the coverage from Premier Sports, not least because it oozes enthusiasm.

As for the BBC, Sky has undoubtedly saved our sport financially but in recent years the coverage has become old and stale and very stereotyped.  In fact, the BBC has moved ahead of Sky in all respects even if it still gives the impression of being reticent (despite what are very good viewing figures during this tournament with great crowds watching live and decent moments from the England team).  However, surely we can't forget that the BBC has been covering rugby league in one way or another for decades.  It may be the mouthpiece and looking glass of the establishment but it's never totally broken its ties to our sport and it has put its cards on the table for our internationals in the future too as well as continuing its relationship with the Challenge Cup.  As the broadcaster paid for in part from the public purse it can never offer the same coverage as the private channels because it has to balance its scheduling books to suit a very diverse nation.  However, keeping the BBC onside is absolutely vital to our sport as the 2.2 million viewing figure suggests, even if the viewing share declined to 15% from 20% the weekend before.

Edited by Saintslass, 13 November 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#52 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

kick off times were fine in 2000.

The kick off time for the Twickenham game wasn't. It was around 6-00pm. I know I went. England internationals should be on at 3-00pm -ish on a Saturday afternoon, in order to maximise the crowd. The 2000 comp got off to a bad start because Twickenham had about 30k in it. The reluctance of some RL fans to darken Twickeham's doors was compounded by the stupid kick off time, the dreadful weather and the problems on the railway. Plus of course Twickenham is not the easiest place to get to from Northern England. IIRC the England v Ireland at Headingley was on a Saturday evening, and the Wales - Australia was on a Sunday evening neither of which are prime times for watching sport. TBH my experience of the 2000 RLWC was that the kick of times were rubbish
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#53 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

There's even more to this - depressingly - than you suggest.  

There's an almost psycho-sexual obsession on Sky with making repeated and irrelevant references during the game to "the Wigan coach, Shane Wane, blah blah blah" or "the Leeds coach, Brian McDermott, blah blah blah".  It's central to the inability of Eddie & Stevo to ever say anything original or interesting.  

Next time you watch a Sky game, listen carefully to Stevo's first bucket-load of nonsense - like a robot, he's incapable of not mentioning, straight from the kick-off, 'the so-and-so coach....' and how much he's 'fully aware of...' some bland vanilla insight. 

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

There's even more to this - depressingly - than you suggest.

There's an almost psycho-sexual obsession on Sky with making repeated and irrelevant references during the game to "the Wigan coach, Shane Wane, blah blah blah" or "the Leeds coach, Brian McDermott, blah blah blah". It's central to the inability of Eddie & Stevo to ever say anything original or interesting.

Next time you watch a Sky game, listen carefully to Stevo's first bucket-load of nonsense - like a robot, he's incapable of not mentioning, straight from the kick-off, 'the so-and-so coach....' and how much he's 'fully aware of...' some bland vanilla insight.

You're right Garvers, but I think you need a lie down.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,085 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

The kick off time for the Twickenham game wasn't. It was around 6-00pm. I know I went. England internationals should be on at 3-00pm -ish on a Saturday afternoon, in order to maximise the crowd. The 2000 comp got off to a bad start because Twickenham had about 30k in it. The reluctance of some RL fans to darken Twickeham's doors was compounded by the stupid kick off time, the dreadful weather and the problems on the railway. Plus of course Twickenham is not the easiest place to get to from Northern England. IIRC the England v Ireland at Headingley was on a Saturday evening, and the Wales - Australia was on a Sunday evening neither of which are prime times for watching sport. TBH my experience of the 2000 RLWC was that the kick of times were rubbish

There were some games on Saturday afternoons, there were some in the evening. Not unlike this tournament tbh.

#56 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

This Voss guy. Eddie warrings love child? Cliche driven sound bites, pop him on BBC prime time and confirmation of RL stereotypes will be complete
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#57 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

Personally, I've found the BBC and Premier Sports a pleasant change from Sky, whose presentation's been looking increasingly tired and stereotyped lately. A complete change in presenters would help, but with Eddie and Stevo contracted to the end of the current agreement that'd be too much to hope for!

Spot on...

Not at all looking forward to going back to E & S next season  :resent:  may even give it a miss and stick with Premier and have Aussie / State of Origin and  Our own Championship  games for a lot lot less dosh ...... plus hopefully Vossy doing some games. :clapping: 

Edited by alan30058, 14 November 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#58 lanclynx

lanclynx
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

Lets be thankful that the governing bodies did something different. The Premier coverage has looked professional and the commentary has been good,

the only thing they could have added is ref cam.   

#59 lanclynx

lanclynx
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

This Voss guy. Eddie warrings love child? Cliche driven sound bites, pop him on BBC prime time and confirmation of RL stereotypes will be complete

They've already got Dave Woods for that

#60 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Lets be thankful that the governing bodies did something different. The Premier coverage has looked professional and the commentary has been good,

the only thing they could have added is ref cam.   

Afraid I think the ref cam is a bit gimicky.

But really like how Premier and BBC let us listen to the video judge ( and it makes them more accountable as well ) instead of putting up with a couple of minutes listening to Stevo shouting his overpowering opinions repeatedly into the mike. " It's a try for mine ! " etc.. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! one day I will put my foot through the screen or worse  :wild:  

Edited by alan30058, 14 November 2013 - 12:52 PM.