Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Manchester rlfc

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

In todays evening news it mentions we are considering joining forces with mancchester rlfc, statement from the club needed ASAP, doubt we will get one though.

#2 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

There is reportedly ( in League Express) a meeting between Paul Kidd and the Supporters Trust tomorrow to update the fans on the latest position.  Is this an open meeting for all Trust members? 

#3 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Should be a meeting for anyone with an interest in the club not just the Trust!

#4 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Let me guess the meeting will be full of promises, with none coming to fruition, my best guess is we end up as manchester lions funded  by koukash and ending up a feeder team to the pinks, failing that it will be to appeal for funds get them then wipe out the trust shares again and drop back to the bottom rung  again.

#5 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Should be a meeting for anyone with an interest in the club not just the Trust!

I quite agree.

#6 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

I quite agree.

So do i,depends if the powers that be are going to be frank open and honest about the situation we are in.

#7 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Whatever is proposed or not proposed there should be NO tinkering about with the identity of Swinton RLFC - AT ANY PRICE!. Any serious malpractice along those lines must be seen as a betrayal of all those players, officials and fans who have been the very fabric and soul of the club and its community since Victorian times.

#8 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

I have no objection to a Manchester RLFC,so long as they are separate from Swinton Lions.Besides seeing as Salford want to be seen as separate from Manchester and it's conurbation,then Swinton RLFC should in my opinion be classed and marketed as the main,established rugby league team from Manchester as I class Swinton as Manchester,even if we very sadly come under the boundaries of Salford.I like the sound of an alternative" Manchester derby"of Swinton Lions v Manchester Rangers.

#9 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

In todays evening news it mentions we are considering joining forces with mancchester rlfc, statement from the club needed ASAP, doubt we will get one though.

Today's M.E.N.? Maybe somewhere in the actual paper itself, but having scanned their website high and low I couldn’t find any mention of this supposed diabolical and monstrous mutation, which, in my view, should be strangled at birth – and the sooner, the better!

#10 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

Its not online, just a small mention in the paper.

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

Lets just go bust then.

#12 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

In effect that is what has happened..............club has gone bust and is now trying to find a suitor and I take no pleasure in making this statement................

#13 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

In effect that is what has happened..............club has gone bust and is now trying to find a suitor and I take no pleasure in making this statement................

I think in all honesty Swinton RLFC have gone bust and to be frank and blunt ceased to exist,which is sad not only for Swinton RLFC,it's supporters and friends but it should be sad for rugby league as a sport.I just hope that I am wrong.

#14 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

So, after 100 plus years of existance, winning every honour in the game, all the social impacts that have been made evident through the Lions tales project and the latest 20-odd years of exile and torment: Could this finally be the end?

I couldn't bring myself to watch Swinton Lions being run as a quasi Warrington reserve side last season.  OK it was done in a supposedly "clever" manner that meant no formal rules were actually broken (thanks to 6 Wires being given sham 12 month Swinton deals), but to these eyes the identity of the club that at one time properly represented my home town, i.e. to me the very thing that made the club worth supporting, was being openly besmirched.  I concluded that the people running the club had lost sight of the things that mattered to this particular son of Pendlebury.  This take on events earned me a lot of stick on here, but it was genuinely how I felt and emerging events suggest this was in fact a thin end of a very big wedge.  For these reasons I have kept away from the forum for quite some time, but even so find what is emerging to be very very sad.

The inference of the rumours I am hearing today is that the present Directors, in their quest to find a suitor, are prepared to go even further and completely trade in the identity of the club in order to secure some personal damage limitation. All kept firmly under wraps until the last possible moment, therein restricting the possibility of any alternative ownership model having a realistic chance of getting a team on any field under the Swinton banner for 2014.

To simply have gone bust and given up the reins, and have done so several weeks ago, would have been a more honorable step in my view.  At least to have provided the long suffering fans with a true version of the real status and viability of the club in a timely manner.  Especially if part of this new plan includes an attempt to redirect the still considerable income from the Swinton Lions lottery to what will essentially be a new club with no ties to the Swinton community whatsoever.

The real pity though is that the club has not been more open surrounding the true status of Agecroft, meaning the support base and broader community has been prevented the opportunity of giving proactive assistance and using normal democratic processes to bring the other key player - Salford City Council - to account over the nonexistant progress.  We still see no evidence of a feasible plan to redress that situation, nor do we have any information on what the supposed barriers are.  I suspect that after 7 years of nothing but bold promises, not underpinned and never delivered on, the club is about to turn its back on the whole thing.  The end result being that future generations of Swintonians will never have their lives enriched by the spectra of a rugby league club representing their home town and all that means. Tragic.

The Manchester Rangers set up a few short weeks ago issued a statement on their Facebook page to deny any negotiations with Swinton Lions were taking place.  Perhaps they wanted to get off on the front foot - try to attract hardcore Swinton Lions supporters to make the switch by peddling yet more lies?

We wait and see.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#15 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

You took 'stick' on here Phil, not for your views which everyone is welcome and encouraged to share, but your constant cynicism and saying the same over and over again. I for one welcome you back and accept your views if you accept mine.

There is a lot of rumour about at the moment, a lot of it being spread by a local newspaper whose record on fact is extremely poor and has never been accepted on face value by anyone on this forum.

Obviously things are in a bad state and we need the truth fast. The fact that the Trust is also silent speaks volumes. But we need FACTS and not stories based on snippets of info stitched together.

Hopefully they will come soon and we can do something about it!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#16 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Found this story from earlier this year on the M.E.N. website

http://www.mancheste...aunched-1738006

#17 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

I actually started watching Swinton when I was nine because my then best friend's father (Alan Kelner) took him to watch Swinton - interestingly or not Alan was originally a Broughton Rangers supporter and I guess most people on this forum know that Broughton Rangers played at the Cliff in Salford which they sold to ManU and then moved out to Belle Vue. After the demise of Broughton Rangers, Alan started watching Swinton...................so I was interested to read the article in Blue Monkey's link.

#18 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

The quasi Warrington reserves as Phil H calls them gave us a season that started very badly but produced an absolutely thrilling last few weeks of great committed performances from all members of the team involved. No matter where they came from they played for Swinton with full effort and pulled off a great escape.  It's a pity he wasn't there to witness it.

Maybe the Club will pull off another great escape and still be around for him to pass comment about next season too.

We live in hope.

#19 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

The man who is the driving force behind Manchester Rangers is a good friend of mine and I can tell you now that it is not, and never has been his intention for the new club to have any effect on Swinton at all, in any way. Unless other people have got involved very recently that want to change that, Manchester Rangers are looking to go it alone and attract new fans to the game.

#20 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Don't you think you people are being left in the dark regarding your great club. I am a Yorkshire man but years ago I used to visit my Aunty Millie who was the licensee of a workingman's  club in Swinton and was a very active member of the clubs backroom staff and was Swinton mad and seeing what is happening at the club would im sure be so upset so I do hope everything turns out for the best and the great name of Swinton rlfc live on.

chappy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users