Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Manchester rlfc

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

There's is an old sewer off Folly Lane (closed in the 50's I believe). Behind Beechfield Rd / Thorn Rd. Plans to build houses have been rejected as the land isn't fit for housing. The football pitches and allotments haven't been used since the 1980's. United Utilaties own and manage the land....... Now what could be built there??

A stadium perhaps?

#82 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

Could a stadium be a motive for any potential interest in the Lions from Dr K?

Salford don't own the stadium at Barton, so Dr K would need to purchase it, in order to benefit from the revenues it's usage might generate. He's already stated he wants to own and further develop to capitalise on revenues from a 365 day operation - which would come at a significant cost.

He'd presumably never get permission to build a new stadium for Salford, but with another club? Instead of investing in the Salford City Stadium, by taking on another club, presumably for little or no up front cash, he gets to build his own stadium for The Lions to his own specification, at a location of his choosing from those available, developing it in a way he chooses, then when complete moves the Reds to 'share' it, when the contract with the stadium owners at Barton allows him to.

In the meantime, he has a ready made championship team/reserve team/feeder club/dual reg partner to ease his star players back to fitness for his main club (delete as applicable), fans get the opportunity to watch competitive Rugby locally every weekend - which would be a throwback to old times - generating matchday revenues every week of the season  - instead of just every other week.

Strikes me that this is not that dissimilar to the rumoured proposal in Oldham - new stadium build, 2 clubs -  but now no upfront cost but no asset to sell i.e. Boundary Park,  25% higher attendances - (Salfords average is 1,200 high than Latics, ours and Roughyeds are broadly the same), ultimately no rent on the City of Salford Stadium and no risk of  losing fan base by moving the Reds across town to a new owned stadium in Oldham.

Pie in the sky or maybe, just maybe?

Interesting thoughts there.Another thing maybe to consider is that probably Sale Sharks,and if he is still there Brian Kennedy probably have much more clout than Salford as they get far better attendances and no doubt have far more money,and money talks so it could be the case that Sale decide that they don't want Salford there anymore and boot them out.Now I don't know who owns that stadium now as it is the AJ Bell stadium,what have they put in there money wise?and I think they are Cheshire based which suggests to me that they are more into Sale Sharks than Salford.This could become very interesting indeed.

#83 pricey53

pricey53
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Mr koukash was spotted in pendlebury social club on Sunday afternoon probably presenting prizes at folly lanes prize giving.Or maybe he's going for the blue ribbon playing fields (togue in cheek)

#84 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

It's interesting that FC United cut the first sod on their new stadium in Moston at the weekend. They've been around as long as Agecroft has been talked about and in that time have raised £2m from their supporter base and £3m from external sources to begin work on a 5,000 capacity ground. Of course, their supporter base, profile and purchase power is higher than the Lions, but it shows what can be achieved with a community focus and a partnership approach. The stadium, like the club, will be owned by the fans for the fans.

Quite right but of course FC United have one massive advantage and that the link from where they originated ....Man Utd.

#85 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Quite right but of course FC United have one massive advantage and that the link from where they originated ....Man Utd.

True, hence why I said that they have a bigger supporter base. However, it's a question of scale. FCUM started negotiations with the council(s), invested in community relations and delivered on their promises, both to partners and to supporters. To achieve this it's irrelevant whether you have 3,500 members or 500. Swinton's supporter base is at it's lowest ebb. You don't need me to tell you that. But there are certainly hundreds that would get involved in some form if conditions were right. Potentially, the support base is a solid four figures and that is (was?) reflected in lottery membership.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#86 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

Could a stadium be a motive for any potential interest in the Lions from Dr K?

Salford don't own the stadium at Barton, so Dr K would need to purchase it, in order to benefit from the revenues it's usage might generate. He's already stated he wants to own and further develop to capitalise on revenues from a 365 day operation - which would come at a significant cost.

He'd presumably never get permission to build a new stadium for Salford, but with another club? Instead of investing in the Salford City Stadium, by taking on another club, presumably for little or no up front cash, he gets to build his own stadium for The Lions to his own specification, at a location of his choosing from those available, developing it in a way he chooses, then when complete moves the Reds to 'share' it, when the contract with the stadium owners at Barton allows him to.

In the meantime, he has a ready made championship team/reserve team/feeder club/dual reg partner to ease his star players back to fitness for his main club (delete as applicable), fans get the opportunity to watch competitive Rugby locally every weekend - which would be a throwback to old times - generating matchday revenues every week of the season - instead of just every other week.

Strikes me that this is not that dissimilar to the rumoured proposal in Oldham - new stadium build, 2 clubs - but now no upfront cost but no asset to sell i.e. Boundary Park, 25% higher attendances - (Salfords average is 1,200 high than Latics, ours and Roughyeds are broadly the same), ultimately no rent on the City of Salford Stadium and no risk of losing fan base by moving the Reds across town to a new owned stadium in Oldham.

Pie in the sky or maybe, just maybe?

Didn't realise how close to the 'truth' this was when I wrote it a month ago.

If the council retains any ownership of the AJB stadium, it may not be in their interests to allow a new Lions stadium to be built by Dr K.

I guess the council need to weigh up the risk of the Reds decamping to Oldham. If the risk is high, they'll lose the income on the stadium anyway, then surely a new stadium within the City of Salford is the lesser of the two evils.

Fingers crossed it's not just political posturing that prevents this from happening.

#87 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

The only thing that interests Dr k is getting a RL club on the cheap with land that he can develop at a profit, I reckon at this stage the trust taking SOlE charge and 100% ownership of the club is the best way forward, anything other than 100% trust ownership leaves the trust wide open to being shafted again?. I also reckon that the rfl need shaming into helping swinton as they have helped plenty of other RL teams even to the point of buying them the leases/deeds to their own grounds.

#88 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Julian you really do need to read some of the other threads!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#89 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

The only thing that interests Dr k is getting a RL club on the cheap with land that he can develop at a profit, I reckon at this stage the trust taking SOlE charge and 100% ownership of the club is the best way forward, anything other than 100% trust ownership leaves the trust wide open to being shafted again?. I also reckon that the rfl need shaming into helping swinton as they have helped plenty of other RL teams even to the point of buying them the leases/deeds to their own grounds.

Julian

Even if you are right about Dr K's motives (you might be - only time will tell), are we not is a situation where we would be cutting our nose off to spite our faces if we don't support his bid, as the likelihood is that the club will not survive in a meaningful way without a ground to play at that is in Swinton, even with the Trust in sole charge?

If he does achieve his goal of developing on the cheap - if a bi-product of that is that we continue to have a team to support, then is that not a win-win situation?

Sure, the RFL don't appear to be consistent in their approach to helping clubs out in trouble, but even with support from the RFL - whatever form that may take - they cannot lease/purchase a plot of land that the council do not give planning permission for a stadium to be built.

Time to suppress the emotion and anger - we all feel let down - action the reality of where we are and what the options might be and channel it into positive action.

The huge positive here is that Dr K has gone public and is very clear about his intentions, he's taken a decision to do so, he didn't need to do so - isn't this the transparency you have been craving?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users