Bradford Bulls

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

Statto just made me think, playing the Trojans wouldn't be bad idea, it would give Morrison a look at some local lads that we could maybe sign on?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#22 scally

scally
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

In the Dewsbury Reporter today it confirms we are playing Bradford on Sunday January 19th and Doncaster on Sunday February 2nd and hoping to arrange 1 more possibly away from home

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Statto just made me think, playing the Trojans wouldn't be bad idea, it would give Morrison a look at some local lads that we could maybe sign on?

Do you really think he doesn't watch the local sides otherwise Kelsey?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

In the Dewsbury Reporter today it confirms we are playing Bradford on Sunday January 19th and Doncaster on Sunday February 2nd and hoping to arrange 1 more possibly away from home

Personally I think Wakefield home or away would be a decent fourth preseason for us

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#25 scally

scally
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Personally I would have liked us to play Castleford but Wakefield would also be good. Hunslet away would also be a good test

#26 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Do you really think he doesn't watch the local sides otherwise Kelsey?

What Morro does BSJ in terms of watching local sides I don't know...

#27 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hunslet play a mixed amateur team made up from Hunslet Warriors/Hunslet Old Boys , which gets the community turning up , so a Heavy Woollen select wound'nt be a bad idea...............

#28 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hunslet play a mixed amateur team made up from Hunslet Warriors/Hunslet Old Boys , which gets the community turning up , so a Heavy Woollen select wound'nt be a bad idea...............

Bit late now, but Rams present v Rams past would have been tasty. Loads of ex Rams in the local amateurs with a point still to prove.

#29 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I reckon the four warm up games that are planned will be just right for their purpose, which is all about team development. I can't see what benefit there would be for the squad in playing an amateur team, despite its entertainment potential.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#30 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I reckon the four warm up games that are planned will be just right for their purpose, which is all about team development. I can't see what benefit there would be for the squad in playing an amateur team, despite its entertainment potential.

Entertainment eh BSJ ? Perish the thought. ;) No - I thought that a game against a side of former pro's would provide a credible test, and maybe give GM the chance to see if some of our former players could still do a job - such as Danny Ratcliffe, shaun Squires and Derryll Olpherts - maybe he could have included Chris Walker, who a few seasons ago was rated a real prospect (and a genuine flyer). Going slightly off topic, weren't we supposed to be organising a trials match to have a look at the local talent - would be nice to unearth another Terry Day, Malcolm Agar or Ernie Lowe - all signed after playing in trials matches as opposed to being signed as trialists in the reserves.

#31 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Entertainment eh BSJ ? Perish the thought. ;) No - I thought that a game against a side of former pro's would provide a credible test, and maybe give GM the chance to see if some of our former players could still do a job - such as Danny Ratcliffe, shaun Squires and Derryll Olpherts - maybe he could have included Chris Walker, who a few seasons ago was rated a real prospect (and a genuine flyer). Going slightly off topic, weren't we supposed to be organising a trials match to have a look at the local talent - would be nice to unearth another Terry Day, Malcolm Agar or Ernie Lowe - all signed after playing in trials matches as opposed to being signed as trialists in the reserves.

Reserves, or as I prefer A team, were a wonderful place to develop players slowly, now sadly a thing of the distant past. I do believe that the creation of the various academies have been a woeful failure and ended up costing Championship clubs something of their traditional structure.

Still, there's no going back, as we all know.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 23 November 2013 - 04:08 PM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#32 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Reserves, or as I prefer A team, were a wonderful place to develop players slowly, now sadly a thing of the distant past. I do believe that the creation of the various academies have been a woeful failure and ended up costing Championship clubs something of their traditional structure.

Still, there's no going back, as we all know.

Unfortunately there just wasn't enough teams in the Championship willing to put forward a reserve team to make having weekly games a viable option.

Running costs being the major factor.

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 23 November 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#33 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Unfortunately there just wasn't enough teams in the Championship willing to put forward a reserve team to make having weekly games a viable option.

Running costs being the major factor.

Yes I know. I'm actually harking back to 25+ years ago when watching the A team was something of a ritual for many. me included. The teams then weren't age restricted like now so actually did comprise the second string - ageing ex 1st teamers, gangly youths, aspiring first teamers etc. Another world really. It didn't cost much to run in those days as hardly anyone got paid much in any case.

:kingxmas:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#34 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

I like your idea. That could be done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users