Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harold Jellicoe Percival

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

A moving story about an unassuming man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24900160

Amazing how many people responded.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

I am just glad it got onto the social media.

Its what a true hero deserves.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

I am just glad it got onto the social media.

Its what a true hero deserves.

Good to know the internet is useful for more than just complaining about Henry Perenara. ;) 

Seriously, it's a very nice story.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Amazing and splendid response.

Makes you think though about my own friends and relatives and others - why do we wait until the funeral to express support?

#5 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Amazing and splendid response.

Makes you think though about my own friends and relatives and others - why do we wait until the funeral to express support?

without wishing to divert anything away from a wonderful gesture

I have to agree with that last sentence. obviously what normally happens is that we honour/thank/reward someone when they are gone and when it matters not a jot to them!

At my club we just thanked the 80 year old president for his service to the club. I'd glad we said thank you when he can appreciate it (hopefully for many more years) rather than unveiling a small memorial or something when he's gone (which we'll probably also do)

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

without wishing to divert anything away from a wonderful gesture

I have to agree with that last sentence. obviously what normally happens is that we honour/thank/reward someone when they are gone and when it matters not a jot to them!

At my club we just thanked the 80 year old president for his service to the club. I'd glad we said thank you when he can appreciate it (hopefully for many more years) rather than unveiling a small memorial or something when he's gone (which we'll probably also do)

What a great gesture.  I've never been on for massive "send offs", I'm never sure what they achieve.  I've been to enough funerals to appreciate their real worth.

Britain loves a grief tourist and a bit of tub thumping.   It was a nice gesture, but I can't help feeling that this recognition would have been better had it been given before he was in a box.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

The response was from people who never knew him and had no way of knowing he had no living family.

Yes, it would have been nice if people had reached out to him while he was alive, but how could all these complete strangers be aware of his situation? I'm sure many of them would have tried to reach out to him when he was still alive if they'd known,

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

The response was from people who never knew him and had no way of knowing he had no living family.

Yes, it would have been nice if people had reached out to him while he was alive, but how could all these complete strangers be aware of his situation? I'm sure many of them would have tried to reach out to him when he was still alive if they'd known,

Yes a fair point.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Agree. and yes as I wrote, it was a splendid response.  My point was was personal in that it made me think about my owns friends and relatives etc  and not to leave things too late!