TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

North Italy Super League Club

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

North Italy Super League Club – Why It is Belongs in the Rugby League Fiction Section

http://rugbyleaguesp...iction-section/

#2 Love this game

Love this game
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hope super league do. Put an italian side into super league.. Just look at melbourne storm.. No such thing as a rugby leauge domestic comp.. Until.. Nrl stepped in.. Now second get attendance.. Won the nrl three times.. And at least 10 victorians playing in the nrl grade.. Plus.. Plenty of austrilian italians to plug the player drought..

#3 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

Reading helps first.
Storm have only one VRL junior that has played NRL and the whole period until this year were bankrolled by one of the biggest companies in the world News Ltd (their large dept per season wiped completely). The closest to News Ltd is Silvio Berluconi and he is very shady.

Edited by CQItalia, 12 November 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#4 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

It's a lovely idea and I hope it happens at some point.

I think a better way to get RL going in Italy is to invest in a sustainable grass roots and build from there.

We don't need another Paris/Gateshead/Crusaders

#5 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

It's a lovely idea and I hope it happens at some point.

I think a better way to get RL going in Italy is to invest in a sustainable grass roots and build from there.

We don't need another Paris/Gateshead/Crusaders

Yes it is a nice idea, but in 20+ years time when there is a solid foundation in place.

A better option is creating regular and longer junior competitions with SL clubs, french or semi pro clubs looking at them and potentially providing scholorships... of course isn't easy and will take time

Edited by CQItalia, 12 November 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

the irfu insisted on a development of the domestic game in italy before allowing clubs/nation to play at a higher level, RL must do exactly the same thing..
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

the irfu insisted on a development of the domestic game in italy before allowing clubs/nation to play at a higher level, RL must do exactly the same thing..

exactly and this only happened end of 2010 and the Italian RU get 40 million dollars a year for development.....so a professional rl club is probably even further away. Need to use commonsense and not rush things, there needs to be a full junior structure!!! Look at FFR XIII they are building their youth participation up significantly first before a second club

#8 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Who the hell gave them 40million bucks?

#9 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

6 nations t v money for a start.

#10 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Now, I am not a fan of the team Italy fielded this year, though I can see we probably got away with it, they were good to watch and ensured that there weren't massive blow out scores. Perhaps the organisers placed a higher priority on credible teams than grassroots.

Some good could come of this, but I think the onus has to be placed on the Italian-Australian community to work out what is achievable. If they are happy enough putting 24 Aussies on a plane they should be happy enough to take responsibility for supporting and developing the local game.

If there was somebody in that community willing to torch 10s of millions on a SL team, well that's one route, but I would have thought that there are other ways to ensure that, by 2017/2021 they have some decent "home grown" players. One route would be to recruit Italian juniors to play in Sydney, another would be to fund development officers locally. I simply cannot see how the RFL could justify doing anything there ahead of elsewhere in Britain, or how the RLEF could justify prioritising them over, say, Serbia.

The greatest challenge our game faces is how to move more national teams up to the level Italy reached, and, for those like Wales and France who are already at that level, how they can move up to within 20 points of the big 3.

Incentives (cap allowances, subsidies or otherwise) for players born in emerging nations to play in the established leagues seems much the best way to go. For all I know there may be a half decent Italian born back currently languishing in the Italian Dark Side system, who could play at SL level, and be of interest to a top side.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hope super league do. Put an italian side into super league.. Just look at melbourne storm.. No such thing as a rugby leauge domestic comp.. Until.. Nrl stepped in.. Now second get attendance.. Won the nrl three times.. And at least 10 victorians playing in the nrl grade.. Plus.. Plenty of austrilian italians to plug the player drought..

For them to "put an Italian side into Super League". There would have to be an Italian side that wanted to be there and had the ability to finance it. There isn't.

#12 BAButterworth

BAButterworth
  • Twitter
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

If If anything, I'd rather see a Scottish Super League team. I just feel Scotland unearth their own talent that is actually from Scotland.

#13 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

government funding etc

#14 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Now, I am not a fan of the team Italy fielded this year, though I can see we probably got away with it, they were good to watch and ensured that there weren't massive blow out scores. Perhaps the organisers placed a higher priority on credible teams than grassroots.

Some good could come of this, but I think the onus has to be placed on the Italian-Australian community to work out what is achievable. If they are happy enough putting 24 Aussies on a plane they should be happy enough to take responsibility for supporting and developing the local game.

If there was somebody in that community willing to torch 10s of millions on a SL team, well that's one route, but I would have thought that there are other ways to ensure that, by 2017/2021 they have some decent "home grown" players. One route would be to recruit Italian juniors to play in Sydney, another would be to fund development officers locally. I simply cannot see how the RFL could justify doing anything there ahead of elsewhere in Britain, or how the RLEF could justify prioritising them over, say, Serbia.

The greatest challenge our game faces is how to move more national teams up to the level Italy reached, and, for those like Wales and France who are already at that level, how they can move up to within 20 points of the big 3.

Incentives (cap allowances, subsidies or otherwise) for players born in emerging nations to play in the established leagues seems much the best way to go. For all I know there may be a half decent Italian born back currently languishing in the Italian Dark Side system, who could play at SL level, and be of interest to a top side.

An Elite 2 club or in a DN league would be more realistic... The budgets in Elite 1 for some clubs are apparently only minimum 200-300k Euro (but as high as 1-1.3million for the top few) accordng to a club overview. Asked a Frenchman once an Elite 2 he said for competivieness would be around "300-400k+ euro" from memory. Still not doing it as a shortcut / quick fix

There have been plenty of options.... some pro players have played msot seasons except unavailable this year, like a recent Italia 7's player

Edited by CQItalia, 13 November 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#15 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

The first thing that must happen is for the 2 squabbling Italian RL factions to unite !

#16 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

The first thing that must happen is for the 2 squabbling Italian RL factions to unite !

most certainly. It has been going for far too long as it was meant to be more mediated, which essentially makes it more difficult to fix due to the long time and disgareements in constutition aspect. What will help is when CONI (Italian Sport gov agency) recongises a body

Edited by CQItalia, 13 November 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#17 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

Also during June but mostly July and August there would be very small crowds. People during mostly July and August go on vacation, to the beaches most weekends and to festa's at night. Soccer & RU ends end of May and begins back around september and october... French League may work eventually (when there is an actualy strucuture)

Anyone up for 35+ degrees Super League Games? At 9pm after the GF it was still minimum 30 degrees (mid July)

Edited by CQItalia, 13 November 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

North Italy Super League Club – Why It is Belongs in the Rugby League Fiction Section

http://rugbyleaguesp...iction-section/

Read some of the linked article, but it is a lot of work for what is just a throw-away line in a quote from someone trying to publicise Italy's world cup campaign.

“Within ten years, our goal is to have a team playing in Super League. that is something big, something exciting. We have the resources, we have the people.” is the sort of thing people say around world cup time and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Rest assured that no one is planning to have an Italian side in Super Legue.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I used to go to Northern Italy a lot. I could find very little enthusiasm for Union, so why do we think there would be any more enthusiasm for RL? Italy is soccer mad. Most Italians have never heard of Rugby so what chance does a different version of a game they've not heard of in the first place have? Plus of course they're in the depths of a very deep recession and have very little money for spending on watching sport ATM

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#20 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

I went to Italy in August, the place is a bit of a mess, hotels have just been abandoned, the amount of rubbish on the roads is ridiculous and they are basically making ends meet by ripping off tourists. For example one restaurant we went to had the old prices crossed out on the menu with the new prices hand written next to them. I am not talking a couple of Euro more but €10 or even €20 more.

Also, Superleague does not exist to give second rate Aussies a well paid working holiday. Maybe if they were to be given a franchise they should have the same quota rules as everyone else.

Edited by markleeds, 13 November 2013 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users