Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

15/11/13 - World Cup QF1: New Zealand v Scotland (Leeds, KO 8pm)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. New Zealand by 21 points or more (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

2. New Zealand by 11 to 20 points (5 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

3. New Zealand by 1 to 10 points (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Scotland by 1 to 10 points (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Scotland by 11 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Scotland by 21 points or more (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Discuss World Cup QF1: New Zealand v Scotland (Leeds, KO 8pm) here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Would love to see a Scotland shock win, but it won't happen. :(

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Scotland are a home nation ... Just like England . They pay their licence fee . This is historic and should be on a BBC channel live .

#4 Greg C

Greg C
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Scotland are a home nation ... Just like England . They pay their licence fee . This is historic and should be on a BBC channel live .

Couldn't agree more.

On the rugby side of things, i expect we will get hammered but would be good if we could put 18 or so points on the scoreboard!

#5 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

No one will be surprised to see NZ end it as a contest inside the first twenty minutes.

I won't be surprised come half time to see Scotland still in the contest.

I've posted my thoughts on how Scotland could trouble NZ , of the minnow teams , their particular style is the one you would pick to disrupt NZ.

Secound half the Kiwis are beatable. Samoa  beat them in the secound half point for point , PNG ran close to them as well.

Forty minutes of perfect Scots Footy and they are in with a chance.....a small chance , but a real chance.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'd love to see the Scots jolt the Champions, like Wales did to Australia in 2000, but the head says NZ all the way.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

if this nz team was the "benji show" of the past couple of years id fancy scotland,with their cracking spine,to push nz pretty close....

sadly this nz team....are a team and not a one man show anymore..it'll be a good game for a half or 60mins but nz will have too much in the end..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Game over after 20 minutes,England v NZ semi final.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#9 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

NZ x -40

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#10 danjambowman

danjambowman
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

You'd like to hope that Scotland would trouble NZ but after watching NZ play PNG, they seemed to be able to offload at will and seemed to trouble the PNG line every set of six. If Scotland are to be competitive they must stop the NZ offload game, even then NZ have so many strike players it may only stem the tide for a while. Scotland have some great kickers whereas PNG and Samoa were weak in that department. 

I think Scotland will have some good spells in the game and score some points but I think they will lose by 20-30. NZ 46 Scotland 16 for me. Scotland shipped 30 points against Italy don't forget.

Praying for an England - Scotland semi-final but can't see it happening.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

You'd like to hope that Scotland would trouble NZ but after watching NZ play PNG, they seemed to be able to offload at will and seemed to trouble the PNG line every set of six. If Scotland are to be competitive they must stop the NZ offload game, even then NZ have so many strike players it may only stem the tide for a while. Scotland have some great kickers whereas PNG and Samoa were weak in that department. 

I think Scotland will have some good spells in the game and score some points but I think they will lose by 20-30. NZ 46 Scotland 16 for me. Scotland shipped 30 points against Italy don't forget.

Scotland will be far better organised than PNG. But still... :unsure:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

England - Scotland at Wembley - in a different sport than association football - hmmm, that would get some interest! :)

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

This is our cup final and it is such an honour for Scotland to be taking the field against the world champions. As long as it is not a complete drubbing I'll be happy.

Although playing England at Wembley would be nice!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

You would think it would be an easy NZ win, after a spirited performance from Scotland.

I think there's just a sliver of a chance we could see an upset. So on the strength of that, I've dusted off the scottish ancestry (one of my grandads was born a jock) and learned the words to Flower of Scotland.

Got tickets for the South Stand, which will be my first time, it's not the sort of place I'd have ventured into wearing a Fev shirt, back in the day.

#15 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'd love to see the Scots jolt the Champions, like Wales did to Australia in 2000, but the head says NZ all the way.

I think that the scores will be pretty close............right up to kick off

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'd love for Scotland to keep the scoreline tight for a good portion of this game but NZ will be easy winners in the end. One thing McCormack and the Scots must learn not to play conservative and attempt to kart it up the middle against NZ; get it spun outwide and allow the backs to run at their defence.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 fartownrothers

fartownrothers
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

If NZ play like they did in the second half against Samoa anything can happen. Losing Dale Ferguson is a big blow for the Scots though, he's looked their strongest forward to me.

If Borough, Wallace and Russell all have the games of their lives, who knows?

#18 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

The Scots need wet weather. If it rains, and they get a non NRL referee, then with their having a better kicking game they could keep this within 20. The problem is that the Kiwis can score 20 points without their seeing the ball. They'll leave nothing out there though.

#19 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

Looking forward to the game i'll be there in the south stand with another 2 thunder fans looking forward to the game.

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

South Stand and Carnegie Terrace-SOLD OUT.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users