League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

15/11/13 - World Cup QF1: New Zealand v Scotland (Leeds, KO 8pm)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. New Zealand by 21 points or more (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

2. New Zealand by 11 to 20 points (5 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

3. New Zealand by 1 to 10 points (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Scotland by 1 to 10 points (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Scotland by 11 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Scotland by 21 points or more (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Chanter

Chanter
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I can see the headline now

'Jocks Strapped by the Kiwis'  

:laugh:

I'll get mi coat..........

#22 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hopefully we are all printing off the words to Flower of Scotland.  It would be good to hear a rousing rendition from the South Stand.

Can Scotland make it interesting?  Well if Brough, Wallace, Russell, Ian Henderson, Linnett and Douglas are all fit and play to their maximum then hopefully we could see something similar to the Wales v Aus semi of 2000.  Though if NZ get off to a fast start and knock the stuffing out of Scotland then it could be a blowout.

#23 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Kiwis team to play Scotland Thursday, November 14, 2013

locke-luke.jpg

The Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney has named his 19-man squad to face Scotland in the Rugby League World Cup quarter-final this Friday night (UK-time) at Headingley Carnegie Stadium, Leeds. With a couple of injury niggles being monitored, Kearney will confirm his playing 17 nearer game time.

The playing 17 should see regular skipper Simon Mannering back as Captain, after being rested in the Kiwis' final pool game, and Kieran Foran (Vice-Captain) and Shaun Johnson combining for their fourth consecutive RLWC match in the halves.

Kevin Locke is the only fullback in the 19. Josh Hoffman aggravated a knock to the shoulder last week against Papua New Guinea but would have been fit to play. "I think Kevin is the best man for the job this week," said Kearney.

All five of Kearney's main props (Ben Matulino, Jesse Bromwich, Sam Moa, Sam Kasiano and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves) are in the 19, with one likely to drop out.

Despite being ruled out of the tournament with a groin complaint, Thomas Leuluai has stayed on in camp and is supporting the team.

The Kiwis vs Scotland RLWC quarter-final match kicks off at 8pm Friday, November 15 (UK-time), at Headingley Carnegie Stadium, Leeds. The match will be shown live on SKY Sport in NZ on Saturday morning (9am KO NZ-time).

The 19-man Kiwi squad to face Scotland is:

Name

Club

Kiwi #

Tests

Jesse Bromwich

Melbourne Storm

Kieran Foran

Manly Sea Eagles

Bryson Goodwin

South Sydney Rabbitohs

Shaun Johnson

Vodafone Warriors

Sam Kasiano

Canterbury Bulldogs

Kevin Locke

Vodafone Warriors

Issac Luke

South Sydney Rabbitohs

Simon Mannnering

Vodafone Warriors

Ben Matulino

Vodafone Warriors

Sam Moa

Sydney Roosters

Jason Nightingale

St George Illawarra Dragons

Frank-Paul Nu'uausala

Sydney Roosters

Frank Pritchard

Canterbury Bulldogs

Elijah Taylor

Vodafone Warriors

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Sydney Roosters

Manu Vatuvei

Vodafone Warriors

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Sydney Roosters

Dean Whare

Penrith Panthers

Sonny Bill Williams

Sydney Roosters

#24 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Kearney trying to get cute naming a squad of 19 without clear indication of who are the 18th and 19th men

Most Notable ommision is Josh Hoffman. If they are looking at Kevin Locke as his replacement at full back , that ups Scotlands chances significantly. 

Kevin Locke is in horrible form or lack thereof.

Truly struggling , especially under the high ball. Scotlands strength in their Kicking game.....evens up the odds significantly ( if Locke doesn't find the streak of form that has elluded him the past two years, he has maybe played a dozen games well at club level at best since his scintilating 2011 season ).

Kearney insists that Hoffmans omission isn't injury determined ( he had a shoulder Injury post the PNG game as is stated in the article ) Kearney on the radio today said Hoffman was fit.

The New Zealand spine has lacked it's good structure when Locke is out there. His one ressidual advantage over Hoffman is the threat he poses in the opposition 20 with ball in hand , if Hoffman is being left out in any way related to form ( hard to believe ) you could only point at his blowing a couple of tries by not passing when there was an overlap.

Manu Vatuvei is the other player with an Injury cloud ( Williams Flu and Shoulder are expected to be cleared for the game ) then kearney could juggle his Wing / Fullback options around a bit , but then Locke is pants on the wing so....

The Props are likely to see Sam Moa V Matulino as the head to head ' who misses out ' reality , both are good , Matulino played well against PNG , we haven't seen Moa's Roosters form in a Kiwi Jumper ( he hasn't torn the opposition apart as an impact prop like he did in the NRL ).

I can't see them leaving Kassiano out ( ball playing 130kg half back )

I can't see them leaving Taylor out ( Kearneys Love child ) and he deserves it based on his work ethic.

These 19 man squads with the extra Prop are a bore......they could have at least declared their hand , and numbered the bench according to who is player 18 and 19.......it's a rugby league game not the storming of the iranian embassy

Edited by mt smart, 14 November 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

practically all of headingley is gonna be scotlands 18th man...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#26 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:17 AM

practically all of headingley is gonna be scotlands 18th man...

That's true as they should :)

Weirdly Kiwi fans most often have a flat viewing experience of their national team,

New Zealand hardly ever get to play in front of a home crowd in general terms.

It's more often than not Aussie fans or UK fans when you're watching on the box that you can hear.

As a kiwi fan watching at home , you very rarely get any joy from the atmosphere watching rugby league.

It's another Advantage the Rugby Union here have in selling their product versus the Kiwis.

A lot of silent wins

You have to yell in your own home or it gets a bit sad watching NZ play from an atmosphere / buz point of view.

Edited by mt smart, 14 November 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,025 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Danny Addy v $BW.

:ph34r:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

One of the Scotland squad was being interviewed on BBC Radio Five Live this morning - one of the 100% born and bred Scots with genuine accent - at approx 9am. Only caught the end of it, so not sure who it was (on the books at Hull KR), but he did his country, team and sport proud!

#29 Airlie 1

Airlie 1
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

It was Dave Scott, met him quite a few times and he is quite an articulate lad. Gave a good interview.

#30 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hope we can keep it tight and then get a break. You never know! C'mon Scotland.

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Kane Linnet and Ian Henderson return for QF.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#32 Fatbob

Fatbob
  • Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I have 2 spare South stand tickets after a couple of drop outs. £7.50 each can meet in the skyrack before the game?

#33 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

I read a quip in the New Zealand Herald news paper today. 

The Kiwis watched Man U play Arsenal , one of the security guards asked Sam Kasiano to cover up his Arsenal shirt for safety reasons. 

They recon Sam would have been quite safe. 

Still not a good look if the Kiwi team thumped a bunch of Footy hooligans. 

Edited by mt smart, 15 November 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#34 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

The scots halves are just as good as the kiwis, Luke Douglas is as good as any kiwi front rower, Russell at the back has been the best fullback of the tournament and id take Kane linnett over Bryson Goodwin any day of the week in the centres. Scotland do have the potential to cause an upset, just can't see it happening.

Edited by hutch, 15 November 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#35 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

I read a quip in the New Zealand Herald news paper today.

The Kiwis watched Man U play Arsenal , one of the security guards asked Sam Kasiano to cover up his Arsenal shirt for safety reasons.

They recon Sam would have been quite safe.

Still not a good look if the Kiwi team thumped a bunch of Footy hooligans.

Would have been good to watch though!!!!

#36 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Up the brave hearts !!! All the best to some lads with real heart pumping below their shirts worn with pride

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#37 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Very interesting for me this evening.

I don't miss many England footy matches, certainly not on TV if I can't make it in person and that includes travelling to some strange parts of eastern Europe to do so.

Tonight I find myself being a Scotland fan at the same time England are playing in a round ball game. See you at Headingley!

'Mon the Bravehearts!

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#38 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I hope we can make something of a game of it. I think we'll miss Ferguson badly though - I was watching the Scotland/Tonga game again last night and he was a monster for us against the big guys.

Hopefully a try for Matty Russell too, and I'll be happy enough.

#39 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

If this was football I would be shouting for a NZ win but as it's the greatest game on this planet I will be screaming for a Scots triumph . Why is that?

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Come on Scotland!

About to leave work to start the journey down the A1/M1!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users