Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/11/13 - World Cup QF2: Australia v USA (Wrexham, 1pm)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 21 points or more (24 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Australia by 11 to 20 points (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

3. Australia by 1 to 10 points (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

4. USA by 1 to 10 points (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

5. USA by 11 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. USA by 21 points or more (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Discuss World Cup QF2: Australia v USA (Wrexham, 1pm) here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Greg C

Greg C
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Got tickets for this came based on the logic it would be Australia v Wales. Still going to enjoy my weekend however.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Chances of "shocking the world" - miscroscopic. But COME ON USA! anyway. :) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

There was an article, slightly tongue in cheek, in the Observer after the RLWC in 1995 about a USA team heading home with the RLWC after drafting in a load of ex-NFL/NHL players and giving them 10 years training. Could this be one WC too soon?

Voted Aus, but (very unlike me), Go USA!

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

If the USA win, we will all need to head off to Mount Rushmore with hammers and chisels.  :assassin:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

The only chance for the USA is if the 'roos prepare mentally the same way as England did for Italy- can't see it though.

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

This would be the biggest sporting shock of ALL TIME if the US were to actually win... won't happen though; Australia by 50. Still looking forward to the game and will be taking my seat in the Upper Tier of the Yale Stand.

USA, USA, USA, USA!!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'd like to go to this match but as usual it's all about getting there.  My car just wouldn't make it, bless its 17 year old heart.  There is a train - well three trains in total - to Wrexham General which I believe is the station nearby to the stadium but that journey would create difficulties in getting to Wigan although it could be done straight from Liverpool Lime Street.  Not a bad price either for a return ticket.  However, not sure about getting back from Wigan on the train after the England game!

Given that there have been so many matches in the north west area, why on earth couldn't someone have thought of organising some transport?

Edited by Saintslass, 12 November 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#9 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Looking forward to this and, like Greg C, wrongly assumed an Australia v Wales QF, or depending on Cardiff, England v Wales! I look a bit daft now...

Still, for the USA this will be their world cup final and they will be up for giving the Australians a bloody nose. If I see the spirited underdog of NZ v Samoa or Wales v Australia (2000) then I'll be very happy indeed.

Looking forward to my first visit to the Racecourse Ground.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#10 duracell

duracell
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Perenara is the ref : USA players can use any weapons they want to figth against Australian, no problems for him ;-)

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Australia have named their Squad for the game.

THE 20 MAN AUSTRALIAN SQUAD:

Cameron Smith ©,

Paul Gallen (vc),

Greg Bird,

Darius Boyd,

Daly Cherry-Evans,

Boyd Cordner,

Cooper Cronk,

Andrew Fifita,

Jarryd Hayne,

Greg Inglis,

Brett Morris,

Nate Myles,

Josh Papalii,

Corey Parker,

Matthew Scott,

Billy Slater,

James Tamou,

Brent Tate,

Sam Thaiday,

Johnathan Thurston.

Dropping Farrah makes that squad stronger, he is a spare wheel.

Edited by boxhead, 13 November 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#12 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

No Jennings. He was having a shocker with his passing, but it was unlike him. He just needs games to sort that out. If his passes into the advertising continued against USA, then I'd be happy to see him sit out the rest of the tournament. Otherwise I think we're leaving out our best centre (after Inglis).

Heard that Sheens stated that DCE will definitely be in the top 17 and that he is putting genuine pressure on Thurston/Cronk. Cronk on this tournament, maybe, but Thurston has to be safe. Sounds like words of encouragement more than anything though, he'll be on the bench most likely.

The rest of the team should sort itself out. I just want them to be on song now.

#13 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

This would be the biggest sporting shock of ALL TIME if the US were to actually win... won't happen though; Australia by 50.

There's very little room for debate; as you state, a USA victory would represent the biggest shock in the history of sport. It would be great if it was very tight for the first thirty minutes though.

Edited by faz'_nose, 14 November 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#14 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hmmm if you're looking for sporting upsets I'd rather be USA going in against Australia than Buster Douglas facing Tyson.....the later needed an extended count to get back up off the Canvas .......now that was an upset of epic proportions.....no bounce of the ball to gamble on , no rub of the green......just the baddest man on the planet trying to take your head off for 36 minutes straight.

#15 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Hmmm if you're looking for sporting upsets I'd rather be USA going in against Australia than Buster Douglas facing Tyson.....the later needed an extended count to get back up off the Canvas .......now that was an upset of epic proportions.....no bounce of the ball to gamble on , no rub of the green......just the baddest man on the planet trying to take your head off for 36 minutes straight.

I suppose that we'll have to 'agree to disagree', especially due to the subjective nature of the topic.

#16 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Interesting article http://m.nrl.com/new...p-success/75382
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Any TRLers going to this one fancy a meet-up? I'm lovely.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

The forward are more up in the air, but the Australian backline now looks like it's going to be...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Brett Morris

Been a long time since I've seen Hayne in the centres. If it happens, Sheens is obviously trying to get the ball into his hands earlier and more often.

#19 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

All the best to Terry Matterson for this one. Great guy.

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

The forward are more up in the air, but the Australian backline now looks like it's going to be...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Brett Morris

Been a long time since I've seen Hayne in the centres. If it happens, Sheens is obviously trying to get the ball into his hands earlier and more often.

Hayne needs to be more involved.

His career has seen him play in too many positions at different levels.

He can be a game changer on his day.

At Parramatta I would have him at Stand off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users