Photo
- - - - -

16/11/13 - World Cup QF2: Australia v USA (Wrexham, 1pm)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 21 points or more (24 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. Australia by 11 to 20 points (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

3. Australia by 1 to 10 points (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

4. USA by 1 to 10 points (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

5. USA by 11 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. USA by 21 points or more (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 RLX111

RLX111
  • Coach
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

You do remember rightly, and two of the three were at "proper RL grounds" in Castleford and Widnes too.

5672 is a good crowd in Wrexham without Wales playing.

#82 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

It's better than those Castleford and Widnes crowds in 2000 too; those were 5,158 and 5,211 respectively, with both games involving matchups of traditional RL countries: New Zealand vs. France and Wales vs. PNG.

#83 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

It's a World Cup Quarter-Final.  It shouldn't matter where it's played or which teams are featured, it should draw a big crowd in any case.t

Disagree and think your being harsh... You need a competitive match or at least a game that's going to keep some sort of competitive interest until half time or 60 mins if no local interest to really fill a ground, unless you pick a small venue.  Lets be honest all except one quarter final has or had a real chance of being truly competitive.

I'll be honest I went to Headingley yesterday and it wasn't particularly enjoyable as a game to see such a huge difference between the teams - I enjoyed the fun of the youngsters playing at half time more.  I saw NZ against PNG to see the NZ players for sure but again it was not a great advert for the game but my point being having seen them I only went from habit not galvanized by the expectation of great game and yes one see good skills from the NZ players but your always wondering if its because its the lower level of competition that enables it to be easily shown.  One thing you get is lots of tries which then means lots of hanging around whilst sometimes replay to determine a try or then the conversion attempt - a lot of stop start due to the unbalance of the teams and that stop start is not why I prefer RL. 

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the world cup and think its been an outstanding success. However if the Q/F games are so obviously going to be one sided and there is no local interest I would not criticize anyone from not going.

Edited by redjonn, 16 November 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#84 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

I thought it was poor. But then Wales weren't playing and there are two more games to go in roughly the same area this weekend. To choose England v France or Fiji v Samoa is a no brainer really. The game should have been played elsewhere. If not in the heartlands then in the Midlands or back to Bristol.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#85 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Disagree and think your being harsh... You need a competitive match or at least a game that's going to keep some sort of competitive interest until half time or 60 mins if no local interest to really fill a ground, unless you pick a small venue.  Lets be honest all except one quarter final has or had a real chance of being truly competitive.

I'll be honest I went to Headingley yesterday and it wasn't particularly enjoyable as a game to see such a huge difference between the teams - I enjoyed the fun of the youngsters playing at half time more.  I saw NZ against PNG to see the NZ players for sure but again it was not a great advert for the game but my point being having seen them I only went from habit not galvanized by the expectation of great game and yes one see good skills from the NZ players but your always wondering if its because its the lower level of competition that enables it to be easily shown.  One thing you get is lots of tries which then means lots of hanging around whilst sometimes replay to determine a try or then the conversion attempt - a lot of stop start due to the unbalance of the teams and that stop start is not why I prefer RL. 

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the world cup and think its been an outstanding success. However if the Q/F games are so obviously going to be one sided and there is no local interest I would not criticize anyone from not going.

I'm not intending to be harsh, nor to ignore the realities of RL's presently modest appeal to the UK sporting public.

However, in a FIFA World Cup it wouldn't where it was played or which teams were involved, it would still draw 30,000 +.  Ditto in an RU World Cup.  And neither would rely on discounted tickets to get those crowds.

Like it or not, those are the standards which an outsider would judge the RLWC against so that's where the bar is set for RL to reach.  This World Cup is indeed relatively successful against the far more modest standards of past RL World Cups, but still a long way off the mark needed to attract the droves of new fans the games needs in order to flourish.

#86 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Back in for a quick break before heading off to Wigan.  Sorry to see the USA go.  They've been a blast in this tournament and their fans have been great to talk too.  Its a shame that they got nilled, but they never gave up. Crowd a smidge dissappointing, but as others have said it was going to be a difficult sell without Wales being present.  Personally, I like Wrexham as a venue - its easy to get to (for me anyway) and its always welcoming. For me, we should carry on hosting games there - if nothing else it shows faith in the Cru supporters, who are genuinely passionate about their club & the game.

I'd also personally like to thank the USA players who came over & shook hands with us all at the end.  Great bunch.  Hope to see them back again in the future.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#87 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Brilliant pass by Corey Parker for the try.

Absolutely fantastic pass. That's one of the great things about even the one sided games in this tournament, there's been some fantastic skills on show. I thought Hayne played really well this afternoon as well - should've got MOM.

#88 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

My thoughts:
- love watching Inglis and Hayne play. It's taken a while but when you see them do what they do, you can see what the fuss is about. Ythey'd have looked at home in 82 and 86;
- credit to USA for sticking in. One of the many problems with facing the world's best team is that if you have a single weakness they will go back time and again. Looked to me that the US centre opposite Hayne was out of his depth and they gave him no place to hide;
- the QFs always looked by far the weakest part of the format. You can't get people to buy in much in advance to events as you don't know who will be playing. Even so, we've made a better fist of it than the only other time we tried. In 08 they side stepped it altogether and went for "rating" games, which were bound to be even games. One to learn from certainly;
- if Slater is out for the Final, it will be a shame for him but potentially makes them more beatable. Now, if Thurston could be suspended we'd be in business;
- we need to keep the faith with this World Cup. The last big challenge is to make a success of next week end. Get 50k plus there and the job will be done, regardless of whether England win again.

#89 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

At risk of pouring petrol (or, given that the USA are involved, gasoline) on a very tedious fire, is the gate tickets sold or people who turned up? I ask because there were appalling traffic problems for anyone coming from the South on the A483 thanks to some car rally at Chirk. For those who know the area, I set out from Newtown at just gone eleven thinking that it would give me plenty of time to find somewhere to park and get a bite to eat. Ten minutes before KO, I was only part way between the Gledrid and Halton roundabouts with about nine miles still to go, at which point I gave up and turned round.

#90 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm not intending to be harsh, nor to ignore the realities of RL's presently modest appeal to the UK sporting public.

However, in a FIFA World Cup it wouldn't where it was played or which teams were involved, it would still draw 30,000 +.  Ditto in an RU World Cup.  And neither would rely on discounted tickets to get those crowds.

Like it or not, those are the standards which an outsider would judge the RLWC against so that's where the bar is set for RL to reach.  This World Cup is indeed relatively successful against the far more modest standards of past RL World Cups, but still a long way off the mark needed to attract the droves of new fans the games needs in order to flourish.

I agree with you but..always a but I know... but football generally would have a more competitive game and has more upsets with weaker teams beating the stronger - the gaps are in the main not so big once you get to the main tournament.  It wasn't that long ago that only 16 teams got to the football world cup finals tournament, subsequently expanded to 24 as the weaker nations got stronger and again expanded to 32 teams in the finals.  Something we should consider is the strength of the teams and hence how many teams in the finals competition.... the Q/F show the huge gap and purely considering your last point maybe a reduction in teams or a two theme competition for a RL world cup and a world shield... with double header final.

Edited by redjonn, 16 November 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#91 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

The style of rugby Wales were told to play, was slow, uninspiring and predictably unsuccessful. 

If the players had been allowed to play exciting rugby, there would of been enthusiasm, and larger crowds at todays match, for whoever played.

I'd of been there for one.

#92 dibbley

dibbley
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

So you've decided to go or not go to a game today not involving wales, but based on how wales have played, is that right?

#93 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

No. In all honesty, knowing Harris was picking our team, it was inevitable we'd play below our potential, but I still went to Wales matches, due to loyalty.

However, by today, I found it hard to turn out for loyalty again.

I'm now looking forward to tonight's England match - Come on England.

#94 dibbley

dibbley
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

okay thanks for the response.  yeah sitting around waiting for the last few hours seems to have made me grumpy!

#95 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

edited

Edited by boxhead, 16 November 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#96 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

A great big THANK YOU for all those who came and watched Australia v USA. and for the comments supporting Wrexham hosting RL events, Welsh Assembly Govt, our Council and NW Crusaders all supported the successful bid to host a Wales group game and a quarter final and that's why it was played here - because we had a successful bid.  Like many I would like to have seen the ground full and was disappointed that people didn't attend but with Wales going out I feel it was always going to be difficult to get a full venue.

My sympathies to those folk who were held up by the Wales Rally Car event.  That is truly bad planning on a huge scale to have these events clashing when people were trying to travel to the World Cup.  I met one lady who arrived with 15 minutes of the match remaining.

It was great to see Stevo, Danny Brough and Jamie Buchannon-Jones there and the bus load of Aussies who we met in the pub after the game were great fun.

#97 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

<Snip>

Despite the one-sided scoreline and the lack of numbers sat around me, I enjoyed another half-day out in Wrexham yesterday. Well done to the town on hosting a successful World Cup.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#98 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think the crowd was very good considering Wales had already been knocked out, the Wales v Argentina RU match and Wales GB car rally were also on too and it was always going to be a comprehensive Australian victory (no disrespect intended to the USA who gave 110% and have been a credit to RL).  I would profess to some disappointment at the attendance for the Wales v Cook Islands in Neath last week.  There is clearly an appetite for RL in North Wales despite the vast majority of prospective RL talent being in South Wales.  One thing that really pleased me yesterday was hearing a lady who’d taken her child to the game for their first experience of RL saying what a fantastic game it is.  Things will really look up in a few years time once Wales have a decent 6 and 7.   

#99 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

At risk of pouring petrol (or, given that the USA are involved, gasoline) on a very tedious fire, is the gate tickets sold or people who turned up? I ask because there were appalling traffic problems for anyone coming from the South on the A483 thanks to some car rally at Chirk. For those who know the area, I set out from Newtown at just gone eleven thinking that it would give me plenty of time to find somewhere to park and get a bite to eat. Ten minutes before KO, I was only part way between the Gledrid and Halton roundabouts with about nine miles still to go, at which point I gave up and turned round.

Two friends of mine were also caught up in this traffic and only made it to the ground for the last two minutes of the game! They have subsequently had their tickets reimbursed by the RFL. Might be worth a try?

#100 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's probably a bit late now - the ticket itself went off in the bin lorry this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users