Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/11/13 - World Cup QF3: England v France (Wigan, KO 8pm)

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. England by 21 points or more (30 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

2. England by 11 to 20 points (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. England by 1 to 10 points (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. France by 1 to 10 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. France by 11 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. France by 21 points or more (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

when was that then?

Whenever they play in France.

Posted Image

#22 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Played once in France on a Saturday at 8pm. In 2008:

http://en.wikipedia....ns_Championship

It was on BBC1:

http://www.theguardi...ngs.television1

#23 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh I get that, but it's not all that good either. If England RU play at 8pm on a sat during the 6 nations, do you think that'd be on BBC2? I don't...

Eh?

I mean that the game will be close but I can't see France scoring,
Sorry, been in France too long, I struggle writing in English now!

#24 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

France don't seem to have the guile to turn good field position into tries so an easy win to England for me. Hope the French put up a fight and Escare and Pellisier continue to impress.

#25 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Played once in France on a Saturday at 8pm. In 2008:

http://en.wikipedia....ns_Championship

It was on BBC1:

http://www.theguardi...ngs.television1

Fair enough. Well played!

Posted Image

#26 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

I want the game to be competitive, but then again I want a resounding England victory to give us confidence going into the game against NZ.

If Widdop starts at 6 that will make me more than happy though.

#27 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'd be happy if France keep it tight for most of the first half and score 2 tries by the end to double their WC tally.

England all the way otherwise.

• abd likes this

#28 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

There needs to be a way to get more French players in Superleague clubs that aren't Les Cats

As got the game, England just have too much firepower across the park, hopefully whoever is in the halves for England will figure out how to get the ball to the centres

#29 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

There needs to be a way to get more French players in Superleague clubs that aren't Les Cats

As got the game, England just have too much firepower across the park, hopefully whoever is in the halves for England will figure out how to get the ball to the centres

more french players at other clubs than catalans?? is that at the expense of young english players????

Edited by Viking Warrior, 12 November 2013 - 05:22 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#30 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

No, ###### antipodeans

You know, the kind Widnes love

#31 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

the simple answer is, if catalans didn't stuff their team with antipodeans and english players then there would be more french players in super league.................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

the simple answer is, if catalans didn't stuff their team with antipodeans and english players then there would be more french players in super league.................

#33 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

But then the French team would still be just the Catalan Dragons...

More players in SL means a bigger pool for them to choose from which means a better team which means more competitive matches...can you see where this is going?

#34 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

why 8pm on a Saturday? I have no interest in sport at that time, we will be at a rockabilly gig (doing sat nite stuff), will record it and try and avoid the score I suppose

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#35 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

why 8pm on a Saturday? I have no interest in sport at that time, we will be at a rockabilly gig (doing sat nite stuff), will record it and try and avoid the score I suppose

Enjoy, bye.

#36 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Is there an alternative, upbeat thread for this game?
I am looking forward to this game:
- it's an England World Cup quarter final;
- there'll be a great crowd in Wigan, pie fuelled and eager;
- we have earned the right to play France by putting together a fine set of performances;
- 32 out of the 34 players will be authentic;
- France have some good, entertaining players and at times have played some decent stuff;
- we should be able to work on the few combinations that need some fine tuning without the head hunting, filthy head NRL head hunters attacking our play makers;
- it will be a celebration of TGG, in its broader context, and another opportunity for a true RL nation to put on a show.
As for the score, it ought to be similar to the NZ - France game, though France rested some of their better players for that.
Come on England!

#37 Skinz

Skinz
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Does no one think that it might matter more to the French to put on a stylish display against zee 'ated eengleesh?

*Based on my experience of being engaged to a Frenchie, I think they might!

#38 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

The BBC would never replace strictly or their other Saturday night stuff with Union on BBC1! I doubt they'd even put Premiership soccer on primetime sat night!

#39 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Heesh managed to post that on the wrong forum

Edited by UxbridgeBunny, 12 November 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#40 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

France have showed all the characteristic guile, subtlety and attacking flair so typical of a side coached by Sir Richard of Agar. This means that at some point, they may actually move the ball and attack - however it won't be very often. Maybe they'll turn up and fight this time. Certainly hope so as England need another good hit out & also need to show more than the 20min blitz which has been evident so far. Either way, I'll settle for another good crowd, more great entertainment, pies & beer. Oh - and a run out for Gareth Widdop maybe?
Just can't lose this feeling of positivity and enthusiasm for the World Cup at the moment!

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65