Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/11/13 - World Cup QF3: England v France (Wigan, KO 8pm)

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. England by 21 points or more (30 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

2. England by 11 to 20 points (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. England by 1 to 10 points (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. France by 1 to 10 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. France by 11 to 20 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. France by 21 points or more (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

France will be better than you think. they were hamstrung by their halfs getting mugged by a bunch of thugs last night and i am sure chevy chase and virtu field would have struggled under that as well. against england they will be allowed to play better so i think they will be better. not saying they will win but i suspect 32 - 8 or similar with a good first 30.

• abd likes this

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#42 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Depends on how well they travel-

French football team- either Brilliant or Rubbish

French RU-  either Brilliant or Rubbish

French RL- mainly rubbish this time round..is it time for the Brilliant team to turn up- hope they do as I'll be there with my 2 lads and want to see a good match (with England triumphing or course)

#43 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

It'll be an easy win for England but I'll still be there cheering the English on and warmly applauding those surrender monkeys when they do something well! Looking forward to another great International Rugby League day out!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#44 pieman43

pieman43
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thats my tickets booked, pick them up on the day. Why they can't post them in time I don't know. Ah well really looking forward to the game. Went to England v Fiji at Central Park in 95 that was superb, hopefully the 'piedome' will be the same.

#45 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

There needs to be a way to get more French players in Superleague clubs that aren't Les Cats

More players in SL means a bigger pool for them to choose from which means a better team which means more competitive matches...can you see where this is going?

Realistically that requires admitting Toulouse to SL to have two French SL clubs since it's a good bet that moving to England (especially up north) is a tough sell to young French players from the south of France and its' mediterranean climate even before considering the language barrier.  With the World Cup being such a success, just maybe a French TV network would be willing by pay for French SL broadcast rights if there was a game in France more or less weekly during the SL season.

#46 The Dude

The Dude
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

I hope I am wrong but my worry is that this will be the lowest attended of England's matches in this World Cup.  Currently it looks like just 3 stands open and tickets available in all sections of the open stands.

Don't think France are a big draw given they have lost 2 matches already.

Shame given a KO time with a TV slot for a potentially bigger audience than on a Saturday afternoon.  England in the World Cup QF in Wigan and lots of empty seats.

#47 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

This thread has all the ingredients doesn't it?

Viking Warrior airing his hatred for the French (he has to post on the subject at least 20 times a week, it's like dialysis for him).
Petero saying it'll be ###### because there aren't enough NRL gods.
General moans about the kick-off time.

And there was me thinking it was a chance for France to upset England in front of the biggest crowd for a game between the two in years. If Escaré fires again and the French pack fronts up, they can definitely trouble England. Of course, if they do trouble England that will wake up a new set of trolls. Sigh.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#48 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Viking Warrior airing his hatred for the French (he has to post on the subject at least 20 times a week, it's like dialysis for him).

And there was me thinking it was a chance for France to upset England in front of the biggest crowd for a game between the two in years. If Escaré fires again and the French pack fronts up, they can definitely trouble England. Of course, if they do trouble England that will wake up a new set of trolls. Sigh.

Moan moan moan that's all we get from you isn't it? :biggrin:

I can't wait for the game BTW. We should treasure these fixtures. Not too many left in this comp.

#49 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Moan moan moan that's all we get from you isn't it? :biggrin:

I can't wait for the game BTW. We should treasure these fixtures. Not too many left in this comp.

Aye, that's me mate. I suppose I came into the thread hoping for a bit of discussion on the big match-ups or how France might ambush England. Escaré-Tomkins, Pélissier-Roby(?), Casty-SamB.

I'll be at this one too, will be game 4 for me after Wrexham earlier in the day.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#50 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

All stands are open and crowd will be 20kish, which will be the lowest England gate in the world cup - who would have thought that

#51 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Aye, that's me mate. I suppose I came into the thread hoping for a bit of discussion on the big match-ups or how France might ambush England. Escaré-Tomkins, Pélissier-Roby(?), Casty-SamB.

I'll be at this one too, will be game 4 for me after Wrexham earlier in the day.

I am hoping for a really good showing from France. Hope they play a bit more expansively than they have done before. They have nothing to lose.

#52 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

If Wigan can't sell out - and I'd be surprised if we didn't given the historically high crowds for England/GB games - then it will be a shockingly bad show from a club that gets 20k regularly for non Saints games when it puts its considerable marketing talent to proper use. Meanwhile, I L chunters about RFL incompetence and under selling the game? V poor.

#53 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

I am not sure why it should be up to Wigan Warriors to spend their hard earned on marketing this game? As you say, the game is already thriving there and they regularly get good attendances. What do they have to gain from marketing this game?

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,180 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I am not sure why it should be up to Wigan Warriors to spend their hard earned on marketing this game? As you say, the game is already thriving there and they regularly get good attendances. What do they have to gain from marketing this game?

I assume the Wigan club and the council have made a commitment to promote this game.

Are you suggesting that clubs will get no benefit from the international game growing? Are you a RL Chairman by any chance?

#55 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

Remarkable post. If you can't see that a successful world cup game can attract newbies or lapsed supporters to the sport (and Wigan RL) then there's really nothing to be done. RL myopia at its finest.

No idea how well this is being promoted but am sure the following from Wigan and the surrounding areas will be fine.

#56 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

JB beat me to it. You would have thought that a support base who has seen player after player depart because of higher profile "sport"/NRL elsewhere would be acutely conscious of the imperative importance of the World Cup. Am not too cross yet, as I'm sure we'll come good. But I reserve the right to be cross on Saturday night.

#57 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Be an easyish win for England but I do hope the French play to there potential as on paper they have a decent competitive squad that the majority are playing super league week in week out, I suppose a 20k crowd would be good but would be awesome and great for the game if we could sell out any chance?

#58 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

According to a local journalist we've sold more than 20k with 9k since Saturday, so it's looking good. And there I was getting so cross - like those Widdop fans who think the sun will set on our chances if he doesn't play. And yet...

#59 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

We need Canetman to post that the RFL announced the crowd figure 5000 more than it actually was to have all the ingredients. 

#60 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'd forgotten about CM. What does a one trick pony do when they take away his one trick?