Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

THANKS Cooks, Wales, Italia, Tonga, Ireland, PNG

cook islands wales italy tonga ireland png

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

THANKS to the Cook Islands, Wales, Italy, Tonga, Ireland and of course PNG for their fantastic contributions to this World Cup. You did your nations proud.

Have a safe trip home and see you in four years (hopefully sooner)!

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

I loved seeing the Kukis here, they certainly won me over. Just a shame I couldn't be there for their win over Wales.

I'll usually cheer on the home nations in any sport, but I was in Halifax on Sunday rooting for the Kukis!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think the format has helped to dampen the disappointment for Wales for example. They were in all three games but played poorly and deserve to go home. If they had of been in Ireland's shoes then we could have been looking at 3 massive score lines.

Hopefully, they will continue to build. Who wouldn't want to see PNG, Tonga, Cooks etc. again. They need to be playing every year.

#4 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think the format has helped to dampen the disappointment for Wales for example. They were in all three games but played poorly and deserve to go home. If they had of been in Ireland's shoes then we could have been looking at 3 massive score lines.

Hopefully, they will continue to build. Who wouldn't want to see PNG, Tonga, Cooks etc. again. They need to be playing every year.

I know it will come down to finance in the end but surely one or two of these teams could be brought over each year for a short tour to play any 3 of the folowing: England Knights, Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland or Italy keeps many of the emerging antions in regular fixtures

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#5 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

In 2008 the Samoan were the team that should have done better but it didn't and this year that tag is now with Tonga which had the best team out of the Pacific Island nations on paper.

#6 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

I know it will come down to finance in the end but surely one or two of these teams could be brought over each year for a short tour to play any 3 of the folowing: England Knights, Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland or Italy keeps many of the emerging antions in regular fixtures

A pacific islanders touring team would be viable, better than the exiles!

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,770 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

In 2008 the Samoan were the team that should have done better but it didn't and this year that tag is now with Tonga which had the best team out of the Pacific Island nations on paper.

One really good, experienced playmaker would have made this year's Tongan team massively more dangerous.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Cant win a world cup without decent half backs, and that's what let PNG/France/Tonga/Wales/Cooks/Ireland down and lifted USA/Italy/Samoa/Scotland, especially Scotland.

Its a real shame we couldn't get Cherry-Evans in an England shirt, he really is quite special and I can see why McNamara went for him last year. His talent would really have worked well ands got us in the final, not sure now.

And NZ will be a bit worried, size and power only gets you so far, and Isaac Luke cant do it all on his own in the big matches.

Still, we now have 'emerged' emerging nations, lets get others through now and invest in real qualifiers over three years to raise the game across the globe

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

I actually think people are being harsh on Tonga. They were an inch away from winning all three of their games, and beat a very solid Italy team quite well.

I loved watching them - if there was time, I think there was a case for a playoff between Cook Islands and Ireland and Tonga and France for the 7th and 8th Quarter Final spots, but logistically I know it would have been almost impossible.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Cant win a world cup without decent half backs, and that's what let PNG/France/Tonga/Wales/Cooks/Ireland down and lifted USA/Italy/Samoa/Scotland, especially Scotland.

Its a real shame we couldn't get Cherry-Evans in an England shirt, he really is quite special and I can see why McNamara went for him last year. His talent would really have worked well ands got us in the final, not sure now.

And NZ will be a bit worried, size and power only gets you so far, and Isaac Luke cant do it all on his own in the big matches.

Still, we now have 'emerged' emerging nations, lets get others through now and invest in real qualifiers over three years to raise the game across the globe

Tonga did better than Italy.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

All six nations added hugely to the World Cup. There will always be teams who exceed, meet, or fail to meet expectations. That's sport.

I've done a review of each of the nations who have now ended their World Cup campaign for my blog. I've published the ones on Wales & the Cook Islands now and will post the other four in the next day or two.

I've also set out what I think should be the plans for each of them between now and 2017 and what I think is likely to happen. Unfortunately there is quite a gap between what should happen and what I expect. Hopefully I will be proved wrong and the RLIF will put on an organised and structured programme for all nations.

I've also described each nation in terms of girlfriend material, just for a bit of fun!

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I loved seeing the Kukis here, they certainly won me over. Just a shame I couldn't be there for their win over Wales.

I'll usually cheer on the home nations in any sport, but I was in Halifax on Sunday rooting for the Kukis!

I saw their two losses and they should have won at least one of those. I understand the population of the Cooks is 20,000. Even if there another 20,000 heritage Cookies in Australia/NZ etc it still beggars belief that such a small base could produce a team of such quality. They , in particular, and the rest in general should be lauded for what they have brought to this world cup.

#13 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Just got round to reading West Country Magic - the article written by Matt Anniss in the Rl world December issue

Brings that brilliant night in Bristol back...one of THE highlights of the WC 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,983 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

I know it will come down to finance in the end but surely one or two of these teams could be brought over each year for a short tour to play any 3 of the folowing: England Knights, Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland or Italy keeps many of the emerging antions in regular fixtures

I know it's a nice idea of yours but would the NRL players really be willing to come over for such a tour? The World Cup was the big attraction for many of them and I believe that is all that might get such strong squads together again.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

The RLIF needs to look closely at what they want to achieve with the profits of this World cup as you can't do everything. I'm not sure paying for touring sides will be a good use of the money. Much better in my mind to invest in grass roots development in the nations concerned. Development tours can be built in but surely can be supported from the revenue from other International matches such as the four nations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users