League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How Do We Solve The Problem That is Australia?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

• They are the best players on the planet.
  • They have potentially one of the best brands on the planet in the Kangaroos.
  • They have 100+ years of test match history.
  • They are not World Champions and are trying to win back the crown
  • The country is absolutely nuts about RL
  • The media is absolutely nuts about RL (well anything but International RL)

They should be walking around the UK like demi-gods. Kids should be stalking the training ground and hotels. Every media outlet in TV station in Australia should be covering their every move. The RLWC should be the talking point in every pub in Sydney and Brisbane. TV stations should have been falling over themselves to pay for the coverage. Anyone who has been in Australia around play-off or Origin time will have witnessed the wall-to-wall coverage it gets.

They might not win a tournament that they didn't win last time. It feels as if no-one will be taking any interest in them until the final. How has it got to this situation?

Edited by Scubby, 12 November 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#2 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think it is deliberate! OK call me a doom monger but there exists and has done for as long as I can remember, an antipathy towards our game, in any shape or form by the media and in general the BBC, Southern based daily's and the rest, this to a large extent also includes Sky. 

As you say these Aussies ought to be on every ones lips judging by the manner in which they conduct themselves when playing the game of R/L. They are the finest exponents in any sport and reign supreme at it, yet the written media here attempt to ignore them almost totally and simply portray them only under duress.

The Mail has actually superceeded itself during the time that the RLWC has been ongoing, their R/U coverage has not simply been stepped up during that time it has for the most part been scaled up to a par even with Football, if that can be imagined at all. That I contend is much more than a coincidence and absolutely defines the attitude to enhance any other sport over R/L and especially so when that other sport is R/U. Our W/Cup meanwhile has receieved the usual snippets, here and there.

We can get total coverage of grid irons superbowl yet, the best Rugby series on Earth the SOO is absolutely ignored by the press and other media here, that in a nutshell aptly display's to me the antagonistic nature that our entire media harbour towards Rugby League.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

The BBC and London-centric media aren't responsible for how Australia sees the tournament. If they aren't all that bothered then perhaps there is more to it.

#4 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think the Kiwis have actually generated more interest - SBW is more widely known and they do the haka.

There are some great stories around this World Cup that the media have singularly failed to pick up on.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#5 Brybry

Brybry
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

If Australia were to run around going "look at moi, look at moi"' and subsequently not win the World Cup, they would look like right plonkers wouldn't they. Bet to keep a low profile and let their rugby do the talking.

#6 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

I was under the impression that the Kangaroos were doing promotional work and visits to Schools and meeting the Royals  :(

They can not make people turn up to their training runs or demand that the Australian media cover their every movement more, this WC seems to be getting pretty good coverage in the Aussie media.

Australia is a country that switches between sports as the season changes more than many.

Once the NRL is over Rugby League is put on the back burner, its the Melbourne Cup, The Ashes and Golf and Tennis, every sport has its window and the Rugby and AFL codes its March till October.

That is a big part of why the WCC is hardly covered or worried about much, its a Sport out of season and the Fans are not focused on that Sport so the media give it little mention.

The current Rugby Union Tour will get little interest in Australia.

Its just the way it is. 

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I was under the impression that the Kangaroos were doing promotional work and visits to Schools and meeting the Royals  :(

They can not make people turn up to their training runs or demand that the Australian media cover their every movement more, this WC seems to be getting pretty good coverage in the Aussie media.

Australia is a country that switches between sports as the season changes more than many.

Once the NRL is over Rugby League is put on the back burner, its the Melbourne Cup, The Ashes and Golf and Tennis, every sport has its window and the Rugby and AFL codes its March till October.

That is a big part of why the WCC is hardly covered or worried about much, its a Sport out of season and the Fans are not focused on that Sport so the media give it little mention.

The current Rugby Union Tour will get little interest in Australia.

Its just the way it is. 

So next year no-one will be watching the World Cup in Brazil then? It is sad reflection of a country that virtually ignores a tournament featuring the cream of its number one sport. I get a bit of an understanding through what you are saying but it is a bit strange and holding RL and the Kangaroos back.

#8 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

So next year no-one will be watching the World Cup in Brazil then? It is sad reflection of a country that virtually ignores a tournament featuring the cream of its number one sport. I get a bit of an understanding through what you are saying but it is a bit strange and holding RL and the Kangaroos back.

I wont be watching the World Cup in Brazil, regardless of what time of year its played,  I don't even know who is playing, not sure about others.

What makes you think the WC is being ignored in Australia, every game is being shown live and many replayed later in the day.

These links to a couple of Major media outlets have plenty about the WC.

http://www.brisbanet...au/rugby-league

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl

Many of the players in the WC ply their trade in the NRL so its not that big a novelty  as it maybe to perhaps English fans.

No doubt when the Semi Finals come around the interest will increase, its hard to generate excitement against Ireland, USA and even Fiji, Australians want to watch competitive games where the winner is not a foregone conclusion and you don't have to have sympathy for the opposition.

That narrows it down to NZ and England.

Its a great Carnival but only three teams are contenders.

Edited by boxhead, 13 November 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Beat the buggers and gloat like hell.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

England need to win this WC, if they don't it will set the International game back by a few years.

Played at home with all of those benefits from the Crowd and conditions.

Two of the best Forwards in the Game in Graham and S Burgess.

The Rookie of the year in the NRL in G Burgess

Lockers and Roby both World Class.

Hill and Ferres turning out to be two of the best Forwards so far in this WC

Chase can be unplayable on his day

Sinfield the current Golden Boot holder

Hall the WBW

Watkins & Cudjoe both big athletic up and comers.

Charnley and Briscoe fighting over the other Wing.

Tomkins the highest transfer fee in the game and a player that can win a game on his own.

Throw in Burrow and Westwood.

Why shouldn't England win this WC?

Edited by boxhead, 13 November 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#11 Chanter

Chanter
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Quite simply, unless the media take RL seriously as a game,  we will be where we are now for the forseeable future.

TV & Newspaper coverage is the only way to get us noticed, imo. 

If people know about it, they'll want to watch it, once they've watched it, they might then want to play it, then get involved etc etc.

Its a snow ball effect. Without the media, it is very difficult to progress.

I know people pressure can sometimes help, (Scousers and the Sun ) by not buying a certain paper  etc, but it can only take you so far.

Edited by Chanter, 13 November 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#12 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

No doubt when the Semi Finals come around the interest will increase, its hard to generate excitement against Ireland, USA and even Fiji, Australians want to watch competitive games where the winner is not a foregone conclusion and you don't have to have sympathy for the opposition.

That narrows it down to NZ and England.

Its a great Carnival but only three teams are contenders.

......................................................................................

......................................................................................

This is why the NRL & RFL should get together and agree for the good of the game that the top 3 should be restricted in the heritage players they can select, As the big 3 are so far ahead of everyone else ( though it may have been narrowed slightly in this WC ) they really don't need to cherry pick the cream of the Islanders crop to further cement their place as the best Country on the planet Or Eng playing a Welsh or Irish heritage player, even if they qualify (narrow that heritage loop hole for the top 3) While keeping it open for the rest, YES this will ###### them off and certain Heritage players off who want to win the WC.

This has to be done for the betterment of the game all round as over night the Islanders & a n other emerging nation could be far more competitive if they have 1 or 2 world class players added to their squad especially the Island nations, look at the difference Brough has added to the Scotland side, imagine if they have 1 or 2 more world class players.

Ramp up the development in the emerging nations to co-inside these new changes in the games selection laws & this combined would achieve big changes to the next WC as you would have a very real competitive threat to the status quo, 1 of the big 3 would in all probability still win the thing but equally 1 of them may get knocked out in the QF as this WC could have 3 or 4 other genuine contenders for the SF & 4 further years down the line we may have an additional 2 or 3 other serious contenders.

This would build the games interest across the board as more fans attend the games & more media cover it while more sponsors are enticed to also jump on the bandwagon.   

The timing has never been better due to many factors, Globalization being 1, Another being as our lives are more orderly or staid Violence on the stage getting popular as its a relief from the norm, example the rise of UFC or other fighting sports, its almost Gladiatoresq, RL is perfect for this as it provides a Gladiator sport that's not just aggression but craft & guile also.

As lots of Brits are now being enticed to play in Aus their development would increase over time improving them as players thus helping the home nations to close the gap on the other big 2 & the holes they leave behind should be filled with emerging UK players domestically adding to our player pool, Get some Italian, French, American & Canadian lads playing here will improve them & so on & so forth.     

Edited by mick wilson, 13 November 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#13 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

The BBC and London-centric media aren't responsible for how Australia sees the tournament. If they aren't all that bothered then perhaps there is more to it.

I assume that reply was intended in my direction, Sol?

I did not intend that the media here had anything at all to do with how Australia sees the tournament, but simply how little and scant the coverage of the competition is awarded for the population here to enjoy.

As I typified before, there is coverage given, and here again I will typify the Mail in this, ample coverage too to a game that at best has a meagre and, one occasion a year interest, even for the majority of those that bother to watch it, I refer to the American superbowl. Yet to my knowledge the SOO in Australia is at best afforded the scores if you can find them. Why when R/L is one of the major sports played here, whether they like the fact or not, there is an ready made audience of people that would be interested in knowing about those games. 

That I believe is done for the reason that there is an agenda within certain media outlets, that are openly and practically opposed to giving R/L any warranted coverage if they can.

On the other hand these same outlets are never behind the door should there be something discriminatory that they can publish, which is both damageing and display's the sport in an adverse manner. That is what over many years I have always found the case and this never seems to alter at all.  

#14 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Perhaps they should t.wat someone outside a nightclub. 

Oh...

#15 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Ganson to ref the semi and final, England are a shoe in

#16 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

The Australian problem is that they win everything.

In the modern era , for their fans , It's almost a triffling bore to watch the Kangaroos win every single tournament they play in.

Even they acknowleged it publicly when the Kiwis beat them , to their credit they were the first to say ' It's good for the game , It's no good if we win all the time '

I agree whole heartedly that the best ( realistic outcome ) of the world cup is that it gets shared around ( realistic = England.....In my wildest dreams the U.S. would win it ).

Next best option that would sit comfortably with me is if NZ win it.

The State of Origin as we know well is rated higher by Aussie sports fans  1) because they are the best 2) because historically it's been a tightly contested prize.

As the Aussies became more insular with their Origin mentality , test footy died  , a whole generation of fan has grown up in Australia and NZ not apreciating that at one time the greatest game on Earth was probably GBR V Aussie closely matched by test the series of NZ V Aussie.

Before Sam Tomkins decided to look at playing in the NRL , I would say that my rational mind thought a strong English game was important , but if you asked me pre Tomkins whether England winning the World cup was a good idea I'd have said nope , not on your Nelly.

What changed ?

The Tomkins thing got me watching ESL Games again ( albiet that they are delayed here in NZ and it's a very limited one game a week package ).

I became a born again Wigan Fan ( left the fold in the 1990's ) more significantly I became an ESL fan again.....and I have sended up with an emotional buy in to the English game.

I would Love the New Zealand Warriors to recruit a few more ESL lads ( Juniors ) but don't want to see the ESL raided , there is a conflict of interest there......which needn't be if the NZ Warriors send some of ours to the ESL.

I'm going off on a tangent here....oh yeah the Aussies......point being they have a solid product the best way to exploit it for the good of the game is for NZ and the Northern Hemisphere game to show them the way ( play each other suring Origin ).

That will make the Aussies think a bit about their role in the scheme of things , no one likes to be left out of the party for too long.

Edited by mt smart, 13 November 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

• They are the best players on the planet.
  • They have potentially one of the best brands on the planet in the Kangaroos.
  • They have 100+ years of test match history.
  • They are not World Champions and are trying to win back the crown
  • The country is absolutely nuts about RL
  • The media is absolutely nuts about RL (well anything but International RL)

They should be walking around the UK like demi-gods. Kids should be stalking the training ground and hotels. Every media outlet in TV station in Australia should be covering their every move. The RLWC should be the talking point in every pub in Sydney and Brisbane. TV stations should have been falling over themselves to pay for the coverage. Anyone who has been in Australia around play-off or Origin time will have witnessed the wall-to-wall coverage it gets.

They might not win a tournament that they didn't win last time. It feels as if no-one will be taking any interest in them until the final. How has it got to this situation?

I just re thought this.

The answer is easy, compete on a regular basis. the problem is not Australia, it is the lack of any meaningful series wins by England in four decades.

Australia are always solid but in no way always laced with super stars, England have let the Sport down by underachieving for decades.

Edited by boxhead, 14 November 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#18 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I just re thought this.

The answer is easy, compete on a regular basis. the problem is not Australia, it is the lack of any meaningful series wins by England in four decades.

Australia are always solid but in no way always laced with super stars, England have let the Sport down by underachieving for decades.

This is a fair comment. Based on what this thread has brought out, can the 2017 RLWC ever be a resounding success if it is played outside of the Australian season? If the country goes into shutdown mode RL wise. Then does international competition need to take place in the middle (or first half) of the NRL season? Would a World Cup based in Aus/NZ with a 5-week break of NRL competition actually work?

#19 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

I just re thought this.

That's the nail on the head. International RL has been boringly predictable for years.

We all want to see games where we don't know who will win. The current WC has been brilliant but there hasn't really been a a knife edge game apart from the Eng v Aus opener.

#20 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

That's the nail on the head. International RL has been boringly predictable for years.

We all want to see games where we don't know who will win. The current WC has been brilliant but there hasn't really been a a knife edge game apart from the Eng v Aus opener.

PNG-France? Italy-Scotland? Scotland-Tonga? Tonga-Italy? Cooks-Tonga?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users