Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

More trouble at Bradford!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

NIgel Wood failure at Fax was bvery much down to him ignoring people and thinking he knew best. He alienated many people including fans and sponsors. He went against all advice. Despite the local newspaper running a comp of a new nickname (Bombers for example was the clear favourite) he went against ALL suggestions and came out with "Blue Sox" which neither had local connections or could you really market in the way Bulls, Rhinos etc could . You cant blame one person for the way things happened at Fax, but he did have a large part in things and allowed the club to run up massive debts. Just a couple of weeks before it all came out the club went more or less belly up and selling things he left with no reason and no statement as to why he left. Nigel Wood simply didnt listen or want to listen at Fax. Looking at the state of the game and the RFL. His failings are still in evidence now as they was back when he was at Fax as CEO

He did a fairly shocking job at Fax, but how on earth would you have marketed 'Bombers' in a tasteful or ethical manner???

Posted Image

#22 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

He did a fairly shocking job at Fax, but how on earth would you have marketed 'Bombers' in a tasteful or ethical manner???

I completely agree.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

NIgel Wood failure at Fax was bvery much down to him ignoring people and thinking he knew best. He alienated many people including fans and sponsors. He went against all advice. Despite the local newspaper running a comp of a new nickname (Bombers for example was the clear favourite) he went against ALL suggestions and came out with "Blue Sox" which neither had local connections or could you really market in the way Bulls, Rhinos etc could . You cant blame one person for the way things happened at Fax, but he did have a large part in things and allowed the club to run up massive debts. Just a couple of weeks before it all came out the club went more or less belly up and selling things he left with no reason and no statement as to why he left. Nigel Wood simply didnt listen or want to listen at Fax. Looking at the state of the game and the RFL. His failings are still in evidence now as they was back when he was at Fax as CEO

But those things are generic things that can be levelled at anybody in charge of a failing business. I respect your views on this as you are clearly more aware of what happened than me, but the reality is that running a sport club is a bloody difficult business, not many make a success of it.

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

True but then they have had successes in amongst the failures. Looking at this chap's record it seems every single business he has been involved in has ended up bankrupt - and these were not start-up companies, most of them were established going concerns when he became a director. He appears to have the midas touch in reverse.

Absolutely, I definitely wasn't sticking up for this guy!

#25 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

As I proposed elsewhere, I reckon the two-week gap was Whitcut working his notice.

If he'd 'been working his notice' he would hardly have stood with the others for the photo in the T&A, nor would any of the others have made the comments they did about working together and moving forward with their different responsibilities. That would have been more than a bit daft and more like making total buffoons of themselves.

All in all, the one thing which appears to be clear from the piece in the paper, is that all of them thought that 'that was it', all done and dusted and the club was up and running. The RFL really should have got this right first time - it's not as though they didn't take enough of it. It's yet another case to the RFL sailing full speed ahead with their bow doors open.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

If he'd 'been working his notice' he would hardly have stood with the others for the photo in the T&A, nor would any of the others have made the comments they did about working together and moving forward with their different responsibilities. That would have been more than a bit daft and more like making total buffoons of themselves.

All in all, the one thing which appears to be clear from the piece in the paper, is that all of them thought that 'that was it', all done and dusted and the club was up and running. The RFL really should have got this right first time - it's not as though they didn't take enough of it. It's yet another case to the RFL sailing full speed ahead with their bow doors open.

If he wasn't in the pics people would be asking "where's Wally Ryan?", I dunno, Bateman was in the paper a fortnight before he left saying how Langley's role would be a big one to fill. Then he buggered off.

Anyroad, 'all done and dusted'... ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

http://www.thetelegr...t_assures_fans/+

Interview with the guy who has stayed, but it's the usual waffle. He claims the change will have "no real impact" which is an odd turn of phrase considering

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#28 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

A nice period of settlement is badly needed, too many shocks and upsets, usually every week at the moment. Looks to be the base of a good side, and while Bateman has gone he is hardly likely to be missed. 2nd row has always been one of the Bulls strengths. With the sponsorship they have coming in should be able to meet all costs this time. need to push on with season tickets where the sales have been hit due to so many shocks.

#29 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I am far more worried about Nigel Woods continued tenure at the helm of our game than anything thats happening at Bradford..

There have been several accounts of damage inflicted on Halifax by him and the fact he got where he is by waiting for the better man to depart before seizing control is very concerning.

I strongly suspect and hope the so called "rebel clubs" have recognised he needs to be got rid of and are planning to do just that ..

#30 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

I am far more worried about Nigel Woods continued tenure at the helm of our game than anything thats happening at Bradford..

There have been several accounts of damage inflicted on Halifax by him and the fact he got where he is by waiting for the better man to depart before seizing control is very concerning.

I strongly suspect and hope the so called "rebel clubs" have recognised he needs to be got rid of and are planning to do just that ..

Hope so. It always amazes & frustrates me how these people manage to get themselves into senior positions and which faceless people are accountable for making the decision.

Come the revolution......

#31 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

There have been several accounts of damage inflicted on Halifax by him and the fact he got where he is by waiting for the better man to depart before seizing control is very concerning.

I strongly suspect and hope the so called "rebel clubs" have recognised he needs to be got rid of and are planning to do just that ..

What has this got to do with Bradford?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#32 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

What has this got to do with Bradford?

Absolutely nothing :)

But someone posted some content which caught my eye and I agreed with so I added my twopennorth.

Suppose I could have started another Nigel Wood thread - bbut doubt anything new would have been discussed!

#33 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

If he wasn't in the pics people would be asking "where's Wally Ryan?", I dunno, Bateman was in the paper a fortnight before he left saying how Langley's role would be a big one to fill. Then he buggered off.

Anyroad, 'all done and dusted'... ;)

Not entirely, mate to be fair.

The article in the paper alongside the pictures was a proper news item, specifically to announce the supposed endorsement of the new board by the RFL and the ending of special measures and not, unlike the Bateman article, just a bit of filler to put in the paper, 'cos we need a bit of Bulls stuff to pad out the back page today', and quite possibly an interview done a week or more before and held until they had room to fit it in.

If the club knew at the time about any problem with Ryan being a director, it would have been totally stupid to participate in such a story which was, inevitably, going to blow up in their faces and I find it hard to believe they did know. Which leads back to the RFL and their endorsement...

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#34 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Dont panic!!

The fans will know things are really desperate when we change our name to Portsmouth.

;)

Edited by crusadin_photoman, 15 November 2013 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users