Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Award 2021 WC To UK&I Now!

Football does it

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

The RLIF should award the 2021 WC to the UK &I now. Keep the current team in place and start the process now. The 2017 tournament wont be in the UK and is nailed on for Aus/NZ. That means that UK&I probably nailed on for 2021. There will be a huge amount of good will after this tournament and we should jump on that and start planning now. 

The added benefit is we can then plan a full international programme around that as well.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#2 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I fully agree.  Lets have things sorted out well in advance for a change.  As much as I dislike the game of Union, the administration of their code is far in advance of ours.  They already have the 2019 host nation sorted out (Japan I believe).  This RLWC has shown that good forward planning will go a long way to achieving a successful tournament.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#3 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

I agree lets nail it down now so we can plan and may be improve some of our stadia in time for it . Would give France a few more games next time with all there group games played there. Do think it was a mistake playing PNG in Hull. I think the one PNG v Samao  in Hull would have been enough. May be next time have to opening game in France .But more important than the world cup is to get our league structure sorted and a regular European international comp going . We cant just expect Ireland , Scotland and Italy just to turn out for world cup . We need to build on this world cup fans have shown theres a demand for international fixtures 25,000 for England v Ireland proves it . Like I have said in another post if we played a six nations comp as five triple headers start first season with rounds at KC Stadium , DW stadium , John Smith Stadium , Cardiff city Stadium and a venue in France im sure they would be well supported . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,563 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

What? And ignore South Africa? And a possible USA bid?

Let's wait and see what happens first...
Posted Image

#5 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

USA would be interesting, I remember the soccer world cup sold well In 94?

They are world leaders in marketing and wouldn't need large crouds in US terms to be a success. ..

#6 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

It would be interesting to know how much, if any notice the Italians have taken of the World Cup. If it has been televised and well recieved over there, how about a bit of a "World Cup European Tour". Games in Scotland, Ireland, England, Wales, France, Spain and Italy.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,563 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

It would be interesting to know how much, if any notice the Italians have taken of the World Cup. If it has been televised and well recieved over there, how about a bit of a "World Cup European Tour". Games in Scotland, Ireland, England, Wales, France, Spain and Italy.

28 games. 26 events.

Double header opener in Lille (50k retractable roof).
French home games in Toulouse FC and Avignon.
Semis at Nou Camp, Barcelona.
Final at Stade de France.
Italy games in Milan and Roma.
Group games across the South of France (Carcassonne, Perpignan, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Marseilles, Lyon, Montpellier).

Yeah, well we can dream anyway!
Posted Image

#8 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Never gonna happen but I hope its the French turn to host the RLWC in 2021 with games in UK and Ireland.

#9 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

i dont think we are ready for anywhere else but Aus/NZ & UK&I/France. the next two cycles could really launch RL internationally. It would also yield the most profit which helps everyone grow. After that cycle you have to believe that more countries will have strengthened and developed so mayb 2025 would be the one to aim for away from the main established areas.

RU is only spreading their wings now. Japan still has a very wealthy and established RU set up. as good as league in England. 

we need to build on solid foundations. most importantly awarding the 2021 now you could keep a staff in place with good knowledge. it also would make sure we have maximum time to get decent tv coverage.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#10 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

i dont think we are ready for anywhere else but Aus/NZ & UK&I/France. the next two cycles could really launch RL internationally. It would also yield the most profit which helps everyone grow. After that cycle you have to believe that more countries will have strengthened and developed so mayb 2025 would be the one to aim for away from the main established areas.

RU is only spreading their wings now. Japan still has a very wealthy and established RU set up. as good as league in England. 

we need to build on solid foundations. most importantly awarding the 2021 now you could keep a staff in place with good knowledge. it also would make sure we have maximum time to get decent tv coverage.

Fully agree. Underpinned by a development programme for emerging and development nations, and supported by a ten year international calendar, 2021 could be the tournament that begins to see more than three realistic contenders.

I would say formally award the tournament to the Northern Hemisphere, and allow the RFL, FFR13, the other Home Nations and Ireland to begin negotiations locally, commencing a formal bid process by the close of 2015, giving a full five year lead in. International stability. A set calendar is cruicial if we are to build upon 2013.

Not only that, but it would allow the scale of ambition to progress to the next level. We now have robust host city case studies, and clear evidence of the social and economic impact that the current tournament has had on each location. For 2012 there should be an increased wave of interest from bidders that allow this growth.

I seem to remember reading that the International Board is meeting in London next week ahead of the Wembley fixtures. Hopefully something along these lines is on the agenda.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Not sure that awarding the 2021 World Cup now is sensible. We've got a process for 2017 to sort first.

I would like to see the team that have organised this World Cup, employed by the RLIF and charged with organising a calendar of international matches for all the nations over the next few years, with a separate, dedicated team to deliver an even better World Cup in 2017.

#12 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

For me I'd love to see it awarded to England after this World Cup with the bidding process for cities beginning nice and early and with how successfull the comp has been so far I reckon the intrest from cites would be huge. Look apart here and aus no one else can hold a rl World Cup and 2021 isn't that far off so the only option I'd say anyway is I been held over here can't be aus again, also it would be great to see maybe Italy look at staging 1 game same said for scot and Ireland obviously France and Wales would be looking at holding a few games. Of course 2017 is the priority at the moment but for me nothing wrong with announcing it early so it's in place allowing a bidding process from cities.

#13 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

If it pulls the punters and raises the profile of the game globally, I don't care if it gets awarded to Burkina Faso.

#14 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

clearly there are only 2 options or maybe 4 options which are the same 2 but with a spin. ie Aus or Eng or Aus + NZ (maybe + PNG) and Eng + Fra +Sco +Wal +Ire. if Aus gets 2017 then we should award 2021 now to UK&I. I would give Fra 4  to 5 games. 3 group games inc Fra a Sth Sea Island clash and a qtr 

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#15 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

If it pulls the punters and raises the profile of the game globally, I don't care if it gets awarded to Burkina Faso.

Ouagadougou Outlaws probably have a better set-up than the London Broncos

Edited by Kenny Bania, 14 November 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#16 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Personally I would like to see 2017 hosted by NZ with some games in Aus, and 2021 just in France.

No point going to SA, USA etc atm as momentum would be lost. These next two times we need it in strong RL areas which can build on the current success, until we have a strong, well established, 16 team comp.

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Don't award it to anyone yet.

Capitalise on the success of this tournament by getting a credible bidding process going. Build the momentum for a UK&I World Cup, but make sure France, Italy etc get the chance to get their name on the ticket early. It was a minor mistake, I thought, to call this tournament 'England and Wales' and then tack on Ireland and France.

But the bidding is important, just as it will be when we drop a level and start talking about host towns and cities. Build the moment, celebrate the award (if ours is the best bid), let's find out who else could throw some money in / host a game or two. Announce it in two years, two years out from the next WC.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#18 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Don't award it to anyone yet.

Capitalise on the success of this tournament by getting a credible bidding process going. Build the momentum for a UK&I World Cup, but make sure France, Italy etc get the chance to get their name on the ticket early. It was a minor mistake, I thought, to call this tournament 'England and Wales' and then tack on Ireland and France.

But the bidding is important, just as it will be when we drop a level and start talking about host towns and cities. Build the moment, celebrate the award (if ours is the best bid), let's find out who else could throw some money in / host a game or two. Announce it in two years, two years out from the next WC.

the bid process builds no momentum. 

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:

#19 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

We should of course award it at the best possible moment to give it the best possible chance of success and momentum.
Apart from anything else 2013 has given us credibility as a concept. The RL World Cup is no longer a joke. So, we can have much greayer confidence all round when we come to 2017 and 2021. Before we do anything, we need the dust to settle and all lessons to be learnt - why assume it's UK and I in the title? Surely France have earnt more games at bigger stadia? Having been to Limerick I wouldn't make Ireland a priority above Scotland, say.
What are people concerned about? If it's that Bolton and co will go elsewhere then talk to them about their ambitions/timescales. Anyone involved in the planning deserves to remain employed by either the RFL or RLIF. I'd like them involved in planning and executing every event over the next 8 years, turning their attention back to the World Cup after 2017 has finished. I imagine we will learn a great deal from 2017, just as we have from 2013, some of which may be relevant to the planning of 2021.

#20 B rad

B rad
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

New Zealand and the Pacific?

New Zealand are the current holders and a few home games for Pacific sides would help with expansion. Going back and forth between Australia and England over and over is a bit negative expansion wise.

Edited by B rad, 14 November 2013 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users