Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tax man

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 exiledyed

exiledyed
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Well if I have got my dates right , the 21 day grace to pay the outstanding tax bill is up today , so does anyone know if it has been settled .

#2 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

According to the report in the Chron it was.

#3 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Heres to the next court date ...............in exactly 12 months time I expect :tongue:

Posted Image

#4 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:56 AM

Heres to the next court date ...............in exactly 12 months time I expect :tongue:

yawn! Do you ever have anything positive to say??

#5 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Little to be positive about really. Worst pro ground ive ever been to, total embarrassing. The only time we make headlines is when we fail at the last hurdle or we have hmrc issues. Our chairmen is the most hated man in rugby league and thats a fact - speak with ex players, employee's, other chairmen. And to top it all even the hornets are too good for us now! Best thing that could happen is to go into administration and someone who has a clue about rugby and business get hold!

#6 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Well i dont see a stampede to takeover the club and think CH is doing ok keeping our heads above water in a difficult time for the game as a whole not just our league look at Bradford Wakefield Salford before koukash rode into town, London Broncos are a joke after all money thats been thrown at them, swinton are in a hole by look of it too.

#7 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Don't worry. I ve got my numbers for tonight's euromillions. :D

#8 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Oldham is a real rugby league town, and our team has become a joke. Chris hamilton only keeps it going so he can draw salary. The bloke is terrible at PR how many fans, sponsers has he alienated? Wh do you compare us to salford, wakey and london these clubs were nothing compared to oldham when superleague started now they would look at us and laugh!

#9 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Im just trying to make the point that even superduperleague teams are struggling in the financial climate so its no wonder we barely keep our heads above water. Maybe if those so called "fans" that turned out for the grand final came to watch games at home instead of just turning out for the big one that would help

#10 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I agree the only way to move forward is to attract more fans. Unfortunately for oldham there is a lot of competition for disposable income and many fans do not see value 4 money at whitebank. Unfortunately sport has an uncanny knack of turning sound business people into idiots. We appear to of found a idiot businessman and turned him into a rugby man. Who had heard of hamilton before he saw a chance to make some money! Every club has their own story of why, and we have ours. If done properly rugby league is an awesome product and will bring in fans. We should look at superleague successes for comparison. If ee are satisfied that swinton are deeper in the ###### than us we will never move forward.

#11 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Superdude,there are many ORLFC fans who were there in the mid 80`s and who could never follow another side, who have wringed their hands in sheer frustration at the way the club has been ran, particularly the poor or none existent communication and the embarrassing deja vu re Tax payments/debt allied to the non development of Whitebank.
I finally voted with my feet (though I went to LSV sigh) and have found there is life after Oldham Rugby League....It is pointless getting yourself wound up over Chris, I did and it achieved NOTHING AT ALL. Leave him to it but don`t let him use your money to finance his PLC would (sadly) be my advice...

#12 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

I agree the only way to move forward is to attract more fans. Unfortunately for oldham there is a lot of competition for disposable income and many fans do not see value 4 money at whitebank. Unfortunately sport has an uncanny knack of turning sound business people into idiots. We appear to of found a idiot businessman and turned him into a rugby man. Who had heard of hamilton before he saw a chance to make some money! Every club has their own story of why, and we have ours. If done properly rugby league is an awesome product and will bring in fans. We should look at superleague successes for comparison. If ee are satisfied that swinton are deeper in the ###### than us we will never move forward.

I agree with your statement that rugby league is an awesome product but the RFL isn't, as for looking at Super League successes where are they?

The RFL is responsible for the plight of all the current problems in Rugby League at the moment with no signs of any improvement.

Rugby League is dying on its feet but the powers that be do not seem to see it nor do they care not about the divisions below Super League.

You may not like CH and let me assure you I have more reason not to like him more than most, but what can he do when there is no revenue stream for the club like now, players are reporting for pre season training and costs for this have to be met, no one knows what the fixtures are going to be for next season yet, even the RFL don't know,they still haven't informed the club regarding the running of the under 20s team this season.

If the fixtures are anything like last year and they will probably be worse, with no Northern Rail Cup, the club has no chance of generating a revenue stream and can only rely on the fans turning up.

It's alright moaning about the ground and CH but how can he plan anything with the indecision from the RFL.

#13 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I really don't get why some people are totally fixated on issues such as tax, condition of ground ,CH etc etc whilst seeming to ignore the real reason why we pay our admission money . You can have whatever view you choose on these matters but there is one over-riding issue that makes me turn up week in week out to watch Oldham and thats what happens out on the pitch . I pay to watch a game of rugby league ...simple as that ... and last season I was privileged to watch a fantastic group of players give their all in every match and provide me and anyone else who bothered to turn up with some cracking matches and rich entertainment for the princely sum of £11 . If you think you can be better entertained elsewhere for that or less ...well good luck to you ...but I can't wait for the new season to start and hand over my £11 each week to be royally entertained and hopefully see this group of players continue to improve and go one better than last year.

#14 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

I really don't get why some people are totally fixated on issues such as tax, condition of ground ,CH etc etc whilst seeming to ignore the real reason why we pay our admission money . You can have whatever view you choose on these matters but there is one over-riding issue that makes me turn up week in week out to watch Oldham and thats what happens out on the pitch . I pay to watch a game of rugby league ...simple as that ... and last season I was privileged to watch a fantastic group of players give their all in every match and provide me and anyone else who bothered to turn up with some cracking matches and rich entertainment for the princely sum of £11 . If you think you can be better entertained elsewhere for that or less ...well good luck to you ...but I can't wait for the new season to start and hand over my £11 each week to be royally entertained and hopefully see this group of players continue to improve and go one better than last year.

amen to that, great post well said

#15 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

amen to that, great post well said

You can watch an equally good game of Rugby at Saddleworth, St Annes or Waterhead have a few pints and still have change from your 11 quid. Most people who put on a rugby shirt give 100% commitment - that the nature of the game and what makes it go great. RL can be a success if managed correctly at any level.

Ignoring the fact that not paying tax is illegal...it sends a message out to potential signings that we have issues paying our debts and will have a bearing on whether they sign. Would you work all month and risk not being paid (or partially paid) for your work at the end of it.

My issue with Whitebank is that it is putting off people returning. Away support is never easy when we have no local teams in our league, but the Hornets will not even travel up the road to paly us as they feel their player deserve better treatment ...a safe playing surface and a shower afterwards.

The RL need to restructure to allow the good well managed teams to play each other more often, no one wants to watch one sided games. Teams should be put into leagues that are competitive so this will attract more fans as the games will be closer and evenly matched. Oldham were at the Top table when superleague started  and through poorly managed on and off field situations are now playing teams like Oxford. Teams like Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc have shown what can be done if things are managed properly.

Over the years how many Oldham lads have played at other clubs (Rochdales being prime example) without even being spoken to by Oldham. 

Hamilton may not be 100% responsible for this massive slide in our fortunes. BUT....he has overseen the majority of the slide. He has also feathered his own nest during this period..

#16 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hamilton may not be 100% responsible for this massive slide in our fortunes. BUT....he has overseen the majority of the slide. He has also feathered his own nest during this period..

I would suggest that the majority of the slide was the bankruptcy and the loss of our ground.  Since then it's always been an uphill struggle to do anything without a ground.

Feathered his own nest?  If getting paid to do a full time job is somehow wrong, then yes he has.  If he has made his fortune from running a rugby club he will probably be one of the first people in history to of done so...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#17 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Well i dont see a stampede to takeover the club and think CH is doing ok keeping our heads above water in a difficult time for the game as a whole not just our league look at Bradford Wakefield Salford before koukash rode into town, London Broncos are a joke after all money thats been thrown at them, swinton are in a hole by look of it too.

How many clubs is Koukash looking to bank roll story is hes taking over at Swinton as well as looking at the roughyeds
chappy

#18 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

At this moment in time Oldham do not have a sugar daddy - not quite yet. Therefore at a time when there is no money coming in to the club from gate receipts should we be surprised that we pay our tax bill at the last minute! Don't forget the clubs that have gone under or who are late paying players so give CH some credit. I agree the ground needs to show signs of improvement in particular showers for the players and a bit of crush and run on the paddy field car park at the bottom end - embarrassing when we played crusaders. But have to agree last season was the most enjoyable for many a year, for those young lads to achieve so much was nothing short of fantastic and great credit to Spanner and Naylor but some credit goes to CH for putting that coaching team team in place. Just a thought but the stance of Hornets ref law cup may  force action on improving our pretty poor facilities as it also hits us where it hurts - our purse. So great team, great spirit and good to see most are staying but is a warm shower and a bit of hard ground on the car park really too much to expect. I think we are a pretty tolerant lot on the whole and amongst the best supporters around.

One for all and all for the one

#19 Superdude

Superdude
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

I think Dr K will ditch us when he takes over at Swinton. Why else would he want us when he has somewhere to play his non-1st team players. Its a shame as I think hes good for the game and raises our profile. He was speaking with us first but I bet he found Chris Hamilton either 1. Difficult to deal with, or 2. did not want to relinquish his cash cow. Another, investor, sponsor or fan is put off my this man.

Edited by higgy, 18 November 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#20 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think Dr K will ditch us when he takes over at Swinton. Why else would he want us when he has somewhere to play his non-1st team players. Its a shame as I think hes good for the game and raises our profile. He was speaking with us first but I bet he found Chris Hamilton either 1. Difficult to deal with, or 2. did not want to relinquish his cash cow. Another, investor, sponsor or fan is put off my this man.

koukash wanted both latics and Roughyeds or neither and it was latics he couldn't agree a deal with!! But blame CH anyway yawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users