Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Silence or applause?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

After Steve Prescott's minutes silence erupted into applause I wonder how people think this should be used to honour the deceased.

The minutes applause was only brought in to defeat the Wendyball numpties who constantly ignored silences by cat-calling etc. I prefer the minutes silence to the applause as Rugby silences are immaculate with just the odd crying infant heard during them.

Discuss.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#2 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

I prefer silences, and I must say that I have never heard a minute's silence interrupted in all my time watching Dale including games that were local derbies. Even the anniversary of the Munich disaster passed off without incident when the two Mancs clubs played each other. 

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#3 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Silence every time.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#4 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Silence there is no choice to be made

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#5 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Silence.

We are not Association Football.

(Sorry Col, I know a lot of footy fans can do it, but there are a great many who cannot)
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#6 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

I heard some really disgusting interruptions of silences, mostly by either City and United or the two Scouse clubs but the point is that we go to matches to make a noise so to have a minute of silence shows your respect for the person who has passed away.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#7 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Silence.

We are not Association Football.

(Sorry Col, I know a lot of footy fans can do it, but there are a great many who cannot)

its okay. next time I'm watching a Cup semi final, I'll be happy that I'm watching football and the game hasn't been interrupted and held up by pitch invaders (because we use isolated incidents to tar the majority)

Edited by ColDale, 13 November 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#8 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Silence is pretty morbid iserable way of marking someone's passing - applause is more of a way of celebrating and  recognising their role and contributions.  Sad about the loss but thanks for the journey.

I can see silence being approariate for tragic or untimely deaths but for those that represent 'natural' end (old age) of life or the end of a long illness celebrating achievement seems to be a better way of honouring them.

#9 hitman hornet

hitman hornet
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Out of order starfire'
Remember at Odsal Once playing Hull Fc
And they couldn't manage a minute's silence.
100% league 0% union

#10 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 732 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

There is a very good letter in this weeks League Express, which for me, sums up the whole debate. I have taken the liberty of repeating some of the points below.

"Given what Steve had achieved in a life far to short and his sheer zest for life, the announcement of one minutes silence was a bit of a surprise. It is difficult to articulate this, but here was an unspoken "feeling" that a passive one minutes (sombre) silence wasn't fitting. The applause within seconds of the one minute starting was pretty much universal throughout the ground. Nowadays a one minute round of applause has become quite common with sportsman and those associasted with sport. Of course it would be wholly inappropriate to clap the rememberance of the dead of the World Wars or say those killed by natural disasters, but with sportsman it seems very fitting. When we go to the theatre for example we clap the performance, its an act of thanks and appreciation for what has gone before - and so it was for Steve Prescott. A sheer outpouring of emotion and love".

The letter was from a Mr Liam Barlow, Cottingham. I am grateful to him for being able to put into words what my own feelings are.

Kind Regards

The Baron

PS. The letter is much longer than the extract, and makes excellent reading.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#11 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

In general I don't like 1 minutes applause for the reasons already mentioned (It was brought in because people couldn't be quiet for a minute).

However, I was at Hull and this was very much a spontaneous reaction and seemed to 'fit' the mood better.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#12 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Out of order starfire'
Remember at Odsal Once playing Hull Fc
And they couldn't manage a minute's silence.

I stand corrected.

I still feel that silence is more respectful, it allows a contemplation of the person, and their life, which applause does not.
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#13 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

Personally I prefer a minutes silence but can understand that  for someone so young then applause would be some peoples preference. For me the dignity shown for many a year by RL supporters across the world on such occasions is something we should not give up lightly. I assume that the request for a minutes silence was supported by Steve's family but I'm sure they would understand the round of applause as I say for someone so young. The fact that this is being debated in such a compassionate way by all says a great deal about the sensitivity and class of our fans. Long may it continue

One for all and all for the one

#14 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well, taking a rough count the numbers so far are as follows;

Silence = 6

Applause or Silence depending on the reason. = 2 I've put Anita and The Baron in this section as they tend towards the way the deceased passed away.

The important point though is that there is no right or wrong answer to this it's just personal opinion and maybe the best way forward would be for the relatives to request their way?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users