- - - - -

Is this the future for RL in S Wales ?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#61 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yes. It seemed a strange decision at the time to allow Crusaders to go under only two years before Wales was a host nation of the World Cup. I remember at the time being very disappointed as I am someone who loves international RL (when it is competitive).

They didn't "allow them to go under", the RFL simply couldn't prevent it.

#62 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

We can not afford to allow scorpions to go I really hope that the rfl are helping them out, the project has to be to have not just the scorps but 1 or 2 more South Wales sides. We have to continue the progression regarding participation levels juniors ect and Wat Wigan are doing with the scorps is brill and if that can be repeated with possible new clubs that would be great and would really give a clear pathway. I personally believe Wales should stick with Harris for deffo along with briers and if Wales could do something similar to England with the ets and regular meet ups throughout the season this would be a great step for the welsh.

#63 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Stability throughout is what WRL needs from the international coaching side all the way down, because at the moment its too fragile especially in the face of the strongest and best resourced WRU side in years.

That stability starts in the consolidation of what exists at the moment, with organic growth- in S Wales at least because as we all know NWC are doing a great job and are pushing forward.

#64 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm 99% sure that changing names will have no effect whatsoever on how popular the club is.

The name can have a massive effect, and the 4 RU regions are living proof of that.

As I mentioned, the Dragons have people who won't go because they've got Newport in the name, and others who won't go because they've got Gwent in the name. Furthermore, there are people who won't go if one or the other name is lost from the team.

Valleys folk won't come down to Cardiff to watch the Blues and cite the fact that they're called Cardiff as the reason (there are others, but that's another discussion), whilst the city folk won't go if Cardiff isn't in the name, because they're the capital city.

The Ospreys got rid of the 'Neath-Swansea' part of their name as quickly as they could, as they realised there was no way they could build a fanbase by relying on supporters of two long-time rivals, and essentially created a new brand and a new fanbase.

Even the Scarlets, who were always effectively a regional team anyway, have plenty of people who don't like the fact that they dropped 'Llanelli' from their name, despite the fact that they were a new entity that sat above the old Llanelli club.

Personally, my feeling is that they need to act like representatives of Neath, or at the widest Neath Port Talbot. Give them a smaller catchment area that they can actually hit in depth and the local area are more likely to get behind them.

#65 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Funny how it doesn't matter anywhere as much with the football. All the valley types I know support either Cardiff city or Swansea city no problems

Edited by jannerboyuk, 14 November 2013 - 05:14 PM.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#66 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

The name can have a massive effect, and the 4 RU regions are living proof of that.

As I mentioned, the Dragons have people who won't go because they've got Newport in the name, and others who won't go because they've got Gwent in the name. Furthermore, there are people who won't go if one or the other name is lost from the team.

Valleys folk won't come down to Cardiff to watch the Blues and cite the fact that they're called Cardiff as the reason (there are others, but that's another discussion), whilst the city folk won't go if Cardiff isn't in the name, because they're the capital city.

The Ospreys got rid of the 'Neath-Swansea' part of their name as quickly as they could, as they realised there was no way they could build a fanbase by relying on supporters of two long-time rivals, and essentially created a new brand and a new fanbase.

Even the Scarlets, who were always effectively a regional team anyway, have plenty of people who don't like the fact that they dropped 'Llanelli' from their name, despite the fact that they were a new entity that sat above the old Llanelli club.

Personally, my feeling is that they need to act like representatives of Neath, or at the widest Neath Port Talbot. Give them a smaller catchment area that they can actually hit in depth and the local area are more likely to get behind them.

Neath is a no go. However, the catchment area around Maesteg makes sense at the level the club is at now and offers a way forward due to the Academy and links with the school.

#67 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Neath is a no go. However, the catchment area around Maesteg makes sense at the level the club is at now and offers a way forward due to the Academy and links with the school.

That sounds sense.  If there is already interest based in Maesteg then regardless of town size or whatever, that's a good place to begin.  Surely going where the interest is, is better than trying to survive where the interest isn't?

#68 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

That sounds sense. If there is already interest based in Maesteg then regardless of town size or whatever, that's a good place to begin. Surely going where the interest is, is better than trying to survive where the interest isn't?

Why can't both happen? Would interest not grow with localish rivals, south wales storm.......

#69 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Saintslass.

Maesteg is big enough and the interest is there, the Academy lads are thriving in a proper RL set up where they train every day and the effect on the school in general has been excellent with many of the younger kids seeing the players are positive role models, especially as they have been involved in coaching the year groups for Champion Schools festivals.

#70 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

The RFL would have to find a sizeable five figure sum to support them at C1 level, thereby reducing the funding for the other clubs, which apparently happened this year and naturally wasn't welcomed with open arms.

#71 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

FWIW. If the club had Maesteg in the name Maesteg Lions would be a better fit, Bateman, Ellis, Devereux and on the RU side Chico Hopkins have all played for or were born in the town.

#72 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Saintslass.

Maesteg is big enough and the interest is there, the Academy lads are thriving in a proper RL set up where they train every day and the effect on the school in general has been excellent with many of the younger kids seeing the players are positive role models, especially as they have been involved in coaching the year groups for Champion Schools festivals.

RL is a community sport and thrives best in places where the community identifies with it and it is identified with a community.  If the Maesteg community through its school and other parts of the community are responding positively to rugby league then that is surely what counts. 

I was surprised when I first read about the Medway Dragons in Kent.  Granted, they are based in Gillingham, which is a bigger town than Maesteg based on this thread (approx 100,000 population but that may include outlying areas for all I know).  The Dragons now have a sizeable amateur rugby league club with multiple teams at all levels plus a wheelchair team and a handball team!  The point is that clearly there was interest for the sport in Gillingham, albeit on an amateur level, and as a club they have involvement with their local community which is recognisable and of a manageable size.  I think those factors are vital to establishing rugby league.

I'm sure you have heard of the Medway Dragons but just in case you haven't, here's a link to their website (I find it encouraging to think of them doing their thing in Kent of all places!): http://www.pitchero..../medwaydragons/

#73 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader is right with what he says. With the Scorpians struggling financially and the RFL withdrawing their funding to WRL, the need for consolidation is paramount. Maestag might not be the dream future location but offers the best solution for the short-medium term to minimise the cost base and build a strong core to develop further. Attendances may well rise due to the reasons he states, but the most important thing is that it should put the club on a sustainable financial footing.

What some people with grand ideas of further semi-pro teams don't understand is things come down to finances which are extremely stretched in RL with Sport England's funding cut significantly and the RFL under tight funding constraints too. Rent at another ground would not be cheap and would in all likelihood be unsustainable for a small semi-pro club, unless they have a wealthy backer and we all know the dangers of that when they walk away.

After a period of consolidation, i'd like to see the prospect of a return to Bridgend for the Scorpians but that is some way off and they need to build to get to that. Any club at Cardiff would have to be a separate organic entity in my view.

#74 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

To give an idea of why Maesteg should be the place, I had a call this morning regarding the Academy.

The gentleman on the phone was mystified as to why his calls,email and even snail mail to WRL offices at Treforest hadn't been returned....that's because they don't exist anymore and the only office WRL have is the dedicated one at Maesteg.

In the absence of any other S Wales office space plus everything else based there its only sensible to base everything there. As C Cymru notes, with the assistance of the school, they could help market the games and I would confidently say that four figure attendances would be posted for a least some games.

#75 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Having followed my team to both Bridgend and Neath, I can confirm that anywhere in the South of Wales is a pig to get to and a somewhat 'selective' day out, even for diehards. But if we want a national game, we all have to invest a bit in making it work. Maesteg? Merthyr? Cardiff? Makes no difference if you're coming from 'the heartlands'. So the WRL should do what works best for its own development on a day to day basis and the rest of us will find a way to make it work for us.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#76 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Has there been any official news from the club or a club official? I can't believe it if not, from the outside it looks like there is no players and no coach. Surely the fans that put money into this club have had an update or deserve one.

#77 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Champ 1 fixtures out dec 3 apparently!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#78 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

There's been no news officially, maybe we might hear something this week, although that's more out of hope than knowledge.

#79 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

To give an idea of why Maesteg should be the place, I had a call this morning regarding the Academy.

The gentleman on the phone was mystified as to why his calls,email and even snail mail to WRL offices at Treforest hadn't been returned....that's because they don't exist anymore and the only office WRL have is the dedicated one at Maesteg.

When I read the message on the Scotland RL website I had a look on the Welsh and Irish ones to see if a similar situation existed. So that's it, is it? The Welsh office shut? The staff gone?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#80 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

The Treforest Office shut about 4 months ago.

Jon Ellis is based at Maesteg, Mark Jones is there some days as well. The other staff work in other locations, although as you will see there isn't that many still there at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users