Is this the future for RL in S Wales ?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 chilks

chilks
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Update on Scorpions Facebook page this morning that 4 ex players are looking to come back to the club and also requested any other rugby players from south Wales area interested in playing next season to get in touch. So at last some positive news for rugby league in south Wales!!

#102 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Good news on their twitter saying players approaching them, definitely potential down there, just need to get hold of it

#103 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Maesteg RFC have knocked back requests from two Welsh Premier League clubs to play games there whilst they await Scorpions to come and open discussions with them.

If that's not evidence enough to say that they need to play out of there I don't know what is.

For any club to turn down guaranteed income in this climate in the hope of getting RL played there is fantastic in terms of the support they are offering and evidence of the promise they see in a link up with the WRL Academy at Maesteg School.

#104 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Looking a bit better for our south wales friends

#105 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Well yes and no.

They were good enough to inform us at the Academy today because they only have a month or so before they will be forced to take a decision that they don't want unless Scorpions get in there soon.

#106 made in wales

made in wales
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

So the clock is ticking, are the club going to be pro active on this issue?

#107 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I spoke with an intermediary yesterday and urged them to get them to contact me ASAP.

#108 made in wales

made in wales
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Let's hope they do, glad to see someone so keen to secure a healthy future for the club.

#109 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

As I said they are a a good bunch of people, who want Maesteg to be the Rugby (sic) town it has always been.

A 6000 capacity stadium needs using...

#110 Jonnyfun

Jonnyfun
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Maesteg isn't a bad option. Its just up the road from me but what ever it takes to keep RL in South Wales is the option for me :)

#111 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Haven't most clubs started pre season? Have you started yet?

#112 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

If you are asking me Jonny i dont know - I'm not part of the club in any capacity, just trying to work with the various aspects and organisations down here to do with RL (as most of us are).

#113 Jonnyfun

Jonnyfun
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't know to be honest. I am rediscovering league after the RLWC, used to attend Crusaders games I guess I am a bit of a fair weather fan lol

#114 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

I have seen Rugby League played at Maesteg. Celtic Crusaders played Keighley there in the first season, and I have also had a few good days drinking in Maesteg. The 7777 ground is probably the most picturesque ground I have ever watched the game in (Sunny day helped), but I feel that Maesteg its self is too isolated to attract crowds any better than Neath. Pen-Y-Bont Crusader, you know I am a supporter of RL in South Wales. are you telling us that if Maesteg can't have Scorpions they don't want the academy? or have I misinterpreted that?

#115 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hi CR. No we are not saying that it is dependant on having the Scorps there ayt all - its just based on common sense for a team at this level right now.

The town council as well as the RU club are supportive of this as part of a wider strategy for the town itself which makes even more sense if the club is to grow organically.

#116 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

When are the fixtures out? Any news from there? It's all uncertain at Swinton to apparently, they have no coach in place I'm told

#117 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

When are the fixtures out? Any news from there? It's all uncertain at Swinton to apparently, they have no coach in place I'm told

4th dec apparently
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users