Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Video: CCTV of Slater attack released

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

[caption id="attachment_2729923" align="alignright" width="300"]Billy Slater punched The second Slater was sucker-punched by an intoxicated Mancunian[/caption]

The CCTV footage showing Australian full-back Billy Slater getting attacked outside a Manchester bar on Saturday night has been released.

It clearly shows the 30-year-old returning to Mojo on Bridge Street to fetch a coat he left behind. He went to the head of the queue to enquire and was immediately confronted for pushing in by a visibly intoxicated 40-year-old.

As the video shows, the local in question takes a cowardly swipe at Slater when he looks away, just seconds after receiving a friendly pat.

He clearly did not realise he was up against one of the most highly-tuned athletes in world sport and the full-back duly retaliated, almost knocking the Mancunian over.

To see the video in full and watch an interview with Slater on the matter, click here.
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Wouldn't say that was self defence more retaliation, he has been a lucky boy here - dont blame him mind and I bet that bloke will think twice next time

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Wouldn't say that was self defence more retaliation, he has been a lucky boy here - dont blame him mind and I bet that bloke will think twice next time

Nah, he's probably shared the video with all his mates on Facebook by now.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

It could be self-defence it would depend on whether he thought the guy was going to hit him again. (Did look like it could have been retaliation though).

Nice punch though if it was self-defence!

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

I always thought that he had something of the John Prescott about him.

#6 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Looked fair enough to me. Bloke takes a cheap shot at him and he punches him back. What did the instigator expect? Likewise is Slater just supposed to let himself get punched by this bloke?

#7 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hands up those that would have turned the other cheek..............................thought so.

Who the hell could find anything wrong in that retaliationary action is simply looking for something to argue about. Well done Billy Slater!

#8 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hands up those that would have turned the other cheek..............................thought so.

Who the hell could find anything wrong in that retaliationary action is simply looking for something to argue about. Well done Billy Slater!

Who found anything wrong? But it could have a different legal interpretation, personally I would drag him into the cells on the early hours of 30th November especially if we are the opponents!!!!!

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,813 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

of course it was self defence

was he supposed to stand there and let him do it again?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Not really a sucker punch or a punch at all.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

He responded within a second of being punched, if it ever got that far (I highly doubt it will) he would get self defence every day of the week.

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Not Billy's greatest fan (he's just too good!), but gotta say.... Good on ya Billy. Serves the Manc muppet right.

#13 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

I wonder how many times that toe rag has got a way with behaving like that towards people who cannot respond in the commendable way billy did

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users