Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harris: In four years we'll be formidable

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

[caption id="attachment_2729930" align="alignright" width="300"]Harris: positive outlook Iestyn Harris: optimistic for the future[/caption]

Wales coach Iestyn Harris believes his side will be a real force when the next World Cup comes around.

The 37-year-old's side failed to register a point in his their 2013 RLWC campaign but Harris believes the signs were promising and that the next World Cup will be a different story.

"Our pack is very good and solid, and within the next four years they are going to be formidable," he said.

"It is about going away from the World Cup and seeing what we have to do to improve.

"We have got some very good quality, we probably just needed a little bit of direction throughout the World Cup. We lacked that one dominant person to steer us around the field."
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Bit of a misleading title, all he says and rightly so is that we've got a very talented pack that hopefully will only get better.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

They certainly improved from the 2008 World Cup...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

They certainly improved from the 2008 World Cup...

Questionable. They still finished with the same number of points.

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Mr Harris has denial issues it would seem.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't know what "formidable" means in Mr Harris' eyes - perhaps Semi-Final "formidable"?? But it that is the case then it's gonna take a lot more than merely tinkering and dominant half-back.

Mr Harris should know that squad needs to all be playing professional - that's the next step. Still they've improved in that respect...

2013 World Cup Squad

Neil Budworth (unattached/Mackay Cutters), Ross Divorty (Halifax), Gil Dudson (Wigan Warriors), Jacob Emmitt (Salford Red Devils), Ben Evans (Bradford Bulls), Rhys Evans (Warrington Wolves), Daniel Fleming (Castleford Tigers), Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors), Tyson Frizzel (St George Illawarra Dragons), James Gurtjens (North Devils), Jordan James (Salford Red Devils), Danny Jones (Keighley Cougars), Elliot Kear (Bradford Bulls), Craig Kopczak (Huddersfield Giants), Rhodri Lloyd (Wigan Warriors), Peter Lupton (Workington Town), Rob Massam (North Wales Crusaders), Larne Patrick (Huddersfield Giants), Christiaan Roets (North Wales Crusaders), Matt Seamark (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Anthony Walker (St Helens), Ian Webster (Central Queensland Capras), Lloyd White (Widnes Vikings), Rhys Williams (Warrington Wolves).

SL - 14

NRL - 1

CS - 5

Aus CS - 4

2011 Four Nations Squad

Chris Beasley - Central Comets (Australia), Andy Bracek - Crusaders, Lee Briers - Warrington Wolves, Neil Budworth - Mackay Cutters (Australia), Ross Divorty - Featherstone Rovers, Gil Dudson - Crusaders, Ben Flower - Crusaders, Tyson Frizell - Cronulla Sharks (Australia), Andrew Gay - South Wales Scorpions, Aled James - South Wales Scorpions, Jordan James - Crusaders, Danny Jones - Halifax, Craig Kopzcak - Bradford Bulls, Elliot Kear - Crusaders, Mark Lennon - Thirroul Butchers (Australia), Peter Lupton - Crusaders, Christiaan Roets - South Wales Scorpions, Matt Seamark - Wynnum Manly Seagulls (Australia), Gareth Thomas - Crusaders, Ian Watson - Swinton Lions, Ian Webster - Central Comets (Australia), Lloyd White - Crusaders, Lee Williams - Crusaders, Rhys Williams - Warrington Wolves

SL - 3

NRL - 1

CS - 15

Aus CS - 5

Looking at the stats it is amazing how: firstly so many of the team have played for either the Crusaders or Scorpions at some point in their lives, and secondly how many Super League clubs have signed Welsh players over just two years!!

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic perhaps we really will be formidable in 2017! Certainly if we keep up the 'Wales to SL' conveyor belt

Edited by ShotgunGold, 13 November 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#7 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Mr Harris has denial issues it would seem.

What the fact that he's an Englishman?

I don't know what any coach could do with that squad in all honesty.  Shove a Keiron Cunningham and a Iestyn Harris in that line up and they'd have done better, but at the moment there aren't a great deal of quality "heritage" players shoving their hands up to play for Wales.  Hell we even had one genuine Welshman try and get in the England squad before he had a word with himself.

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Formidable.
Formidable.
Les Cooks étaient formidables
Les Gallois fort minables.
Mais nous serons formidables.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Somehow the Welsh are going to have to improve their player pool depth by 2017. Its no good going down the English and Australian Welsh players anymore thats hasn't worked.

For the welsh to have some success it needs Super League clubs to sign more welsh born players.

#10 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't know what "formidable" means in Mr Harris' eyes - perhaps Semi-Final "formidable"?? But it that is the case then it's gonna take a lot more than merely tinkering and dominant half-back.

Mr Harris should know that squad needs to all be playing professional - that's the next step. Still they've improved in that respect...

2013 World Cup Squad

Neil Budworth (unattached/Mackay Cutters), Ross Divorty (Halifax), Gil Dudson (Wigan Warriors), Jacob Emmitt (Salford Red Devils), Ben Evans (Bradford Bulls), Rhys Evans (Warrington Wolves), Daniel Fleming (Castleford Tigers), Ben Flower (Wigan Warriors), Tyson Frizzel (St George Illawarra Dragons), James Gurtjens (North Devils), Jordan James (Salford Red Devils), Danny Jones (Keighley Cougars), Elliot Kear (Bradford Bulls), Craig Kopczak (Huddersfield Giants), Rhodri Lloyd (Wigan Warriors), Peter Lupton (Workington Town), Rob Massam (North Wales Crusaders), Larne Patrick (Huddersfield Giants), Christiaan Roets (North Wales Crusaders), Matt Seamark (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Anthony Walker (St Helens), Ian Webster (Central Queensland Capras), Lloyd White (Widnes Vikings), Rhys Williams (Warrington Wolves).

SL - 14
NRL - 1
CS - 5
Aus CS - 4

2011 Four Nations Squad

Chris Beasley - Central Comets (Australia), Andy Bracek - Crusaders, Lee Briers - Warrington Wolves, Neil Budworth - Mackay Cutters (Australia), Ross Divorty - Featherstone Rovers, Gil Dudson - Crusaders, Ben Flower - Crusaders, Tyson Frizell - Cronulla Sharks (Australia), Andrew Gay - South Wales Scorpions, Aled James - South Wales Scorpions, Jordan James - Crusaders, Danny Jones - Halifax, Craig Kopzcak - Bradford Bulls, Elliot Kear - Crusaders, Mark Lennon - Thirroul Butchers (Australia), Peter Lupton - Crusaders, Christiaan Roets - South Wales Scorpions, Matt Seamark - Wynnum Manly Seagulls (Australia), Gareth Thomas - Crusaders, Ian Watson - Swinton Lions, Ian Webster - Central Comets (Australia), Lloyd White - Crusaders, Lee Williams - Crusaders, Rhys Williams - Warrington Wolves

SL - 3
NRL - 1
CS - 15
Aus CS - 5

Looking at the stats it is amazing how: firstly so many of the team have played for either the Crusaders or Scorpions at some point in their lives, and secondly how many Super League clubs have signed Welsh players over just two years!!

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic perhaps we really will be formidable in 2017! Certainly if we keep up the 'Wales to SL' conveyor belt

Weren't crusaders in super league in 2011?

#11 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I get the feeling that he's fairly confident about the prospects of keeping his job - which he really shouldn't be. IMO, with a better coach at the helm, they'd have been considerably more successful at this World Cup - never mind in 2017. During their first two group games, it actually looked at times as though they didn't have a coach at all. Oddly, there seems to be some sort of mythical aura surrounding the abilities of Mr Harris - based upon very little evidence. Maybe he's just not very good? Has this possibility ever been considered?

Edited by TheTerminator, 13 November 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Posted Image

#12 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm telling you here first he won't keep his job.

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Can't imagine there will be too many other people queuing up to take the job. They were without passion to my mind in the World Cup. Hopefully they will qualify for 2017 and be a bit better than in this one. As I wrote in the blog, they really have slipped down the pecking order in Europe and you can't see them at any 4Nations anytime soon.

#14 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,042 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

I don't want any kneejek reaction and, if Iestyn is  still under contract, I hope he stays.

If his position is at risk, I hope that the players can have a big say and sway on whether he keeps his job.

Its four years to the next World Cup and, even if we haven't done that well, we haven't been routed by anyone.

The squad, players and coaches, will have learned valuable lessons. Plenty of time to marshal our forces before 2017.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

He's still an inexperienced coach, but more years as assistant at Wigan will help with that.

Wigan's Welsh connection may well also help with the current shortcomings as regards available talent. Additionally, I'm sure there are a few other SL clubs who are keeping an eye on upcoming players from there.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

I understand what your saying but I feel with the squad he had he should of done better. A lot of people saying no passion and I think that is the case and that was what the problem was.

#17 made in wales

made in wales
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

What concerns me is the lack of meaningful fixtures during the next four years.  Has anyone got any ideas what the international calender will be during this period?

#18 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

What concerns me is the lack of meaningful fixtures during the next four years.  Has anyone got any ideas what the international calender will be during this period?

Nope! There is talk of a 4Nations in 2014 and an Ashes tour in 2015. The biggest legacy of the World Cup needs to be a full, organised programme of internationals for all nations, relevant to their strength.

#19 made in wales

made in wales
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Nope! There is talk of a 4Nations in 2014 and an Ashes tour in 2015. The biggest legacy of the World Cup needs to be a full, organised programme of internationals for all nations, relevant to their strength.

Agreed, it's the responsibility of the Rugby League International Federation to be pro active on this issue.  The success of this World Cup will hopefully ensure this!

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,042 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

If there's a 4 Nations tournament in 2014, there's no reason why England Knights and three of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Ireland couldn't have a tournament over a week in October

Sat 1 and Sun week 1 ... teams drawn from hat A v B  and C v D

Sunday week 2     ... Double header: winner v winner and loser v loser.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users