Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harris: In four years we'll be formidable

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

If there's a 4 Nations tournament in 2014, there's no reason why England Knights and three of Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Ireland couldn't have a tournament over a week in October

Sat 1 and Sun week 1 ... teams drawn from hat A v B  and C v D

Sunday week 2     ... Double header: winner v winner and loser v loser.

Nah not England Knights.

I did argue on another thread that the 2014, 2015 and 2016 European Cups should be between Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy (I argued for France in the Four Nations 2014, 2015 and 2016).

#22 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Nah not England Knights. I did argue on another thread that the 2014, 2015 and 2016 European Cups should be between Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy (I argued for France in the Four Nations 2014, 2015 and 2016).

We have to be mindful of the costs, but we do need to recognise that investing now to allow these nations to play will generate big financial returns down the line. England Knights will play a role in this, as they are of a decent standard, and England have the funds and desire to make them available for games.

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

i for one would love to see a strong welsh national team, they have the makings of a good team but really need some effective half backs...surely rhys hanbury has a welsh granny???

Edited by Viking Warrior, 13 November 2013 - 09:26 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#24 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

You would have to say that the best thing for RL in the long term would be for all nations to at least play one of the big 3 every year.

#25 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

Yes but Australia are not going to be interested in matches like that.

#26 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

He must have been talking to the French team Managers.

In Four years they will be pretty well where they are now with a different Coach.

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

You would have to say that the best thing for RL in the long term would be for all nations to at least play one of the big 3 every year.

A team from each Hemisphere has that chance in alternate Four Nations.

It may as well be the Hemel Staggs or the Redcliffe Dolphins whats the point?

#28 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Aaaahhh, what has HE ever achieved as a coach.

He's one of those people, that manages to impress, and talk the talk, to the movers and shakers, but that's it. The only thing in his defence are excuses.

If someone like Clive Griffiths was in charge, we would be in the quarter finals.

#29 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

The real story should be the number of Welshmen playing now, the number in academy sides at SL level and development work going on that should unearth the half backs that Wales are lacking, the forward pack will take care of itself, it will mature and if they are still around may well be a dominant SL pack through Wigan and others searching them out and using them.

The backs were poor for me other than Elliott Kear who was probably the best player they had. That needs sorting as well.

Its not impossible and for the first time it appears to be organic rather than using players like Briers who whilst proud to be there aren't strictly welsh

Players under the grandparent/residency rules are great as the odd addition but not when they take up all the team numbers and as noted above a load of the welsh players have gone through the Crusaders or Scorpions, again highlights a player pathway that's working

Give it time

Might need a new coach though, Wales aren't Wigan and the structures Harris used from Wigan didn't work for the backs without a decent 13 6 and 7. They would have been stronger playing to the forward strengths

#30 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Apart from those included this time around there's also Jacob Morgan at Leeds, Rhys Pugsley and Bradley Mais at WIgan, Ollie Olds at Ipswich Jets and Lewis Reece is off to Australia too. They are all young lads coming through, and I'm sure there are others too.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

I have followed this Sport since 1975.

I have yet to see any significant improvement in any team other than New Zealand and that has been a result of how many players they can call on from the NRL.

GB/ England have declined over those 4 decades to the point where Australia have built the State of Origin as the best of the best.

I doubt much will change before I go.

Wales, France, Fiji. Samoa, PNG .....................

All smoke and mirrors

#32 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have yet to see any significant improvement in any team other than New Zealand and that has been a result of how many players they can call on from the NRL.

GB/ England have declined over those 4 decades to the point where Australia have built the State of Origin as the best of the best.

All smoke and mirrors

Every single post I've ever read of yours is b*tching about this sport or some aspect of it. It's a wonder you can get out of bed in the morning.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Every single post I've ever read of yours is b*tching about this sport or some aspect of it. It's a wonder you can get out of bed in the morning.

You can only remember the Posts you want to.

Have another look, you are wrong.

What part of what I posted is wrong? 

Edited by boxhead, 15 November 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#34 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

All smoke and mirrors

Well PNG nearly beat England in 2008.

England were better against Australia this time than they were in 2008.

I think France have improved on 2008 (I know others may disagree).

Never bet on things staying the same.

#35 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

All smoke and mirrors

Come on now, surely Fiji have come on Leaps and effin bounds both on and off the pitch.

#36 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

You can only remember the Posts you want to.
Have another look, you are wrong.

What part of what I posted is wrong?

wales have gone from nothing literally, no offence to Cardiff demons, to two semi pro teams, amateur and uni teams, and national sides at almost all age groups with majority welsh born and bred players. The occasional team of welsh union turned league players meant nothing and shouldn't be the measure of what we have now. French league was on the road to extinction so today is about having survived and being able to put a mainly French team of full time professionals on the field with a renewed amateur level (going by the posts of French based posters). These things aren't so easy to measure and I'm sorry but your posts come across as too simplistic
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#37 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Come on now, surely Fiji have come on Leaps and effin bounds both on and off the pitch.

Fiji are the long term realistic hope of a strong and competitive 4th nation, what with a population of 1 million that is rugby nuts albeit union that more and more NRL clubs are raiding for players both from the 15 a side and 7's versions and the development of rugby league taking root in the form of local league competitions. Also australia has a sizeable Fijian population mostly found in the league heartlands of NSW and Queensland.

#38 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

I think having England Knights (a reserve team) playing against and likely beating the first grade national teams of other countries, it's unnecessarily damaging for the international game.

The Knights usually stuff them (so they don't really get a test out of it). So what's the point? What really is gained?

They should replace the Knights with Yorkshire vs Lancashire at that level IMO. They'd both test each other. It's a historic match. Keeps the traditionalists happy. Allows for expansion. Everyone wins.

Reserve teams should only play other reserve teams IMO.
Posted Image

#39 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

We all know that Wales underperformed and should have done way better. The reasons for this are a matter for debate, though I believe (like one or two others) that Iestyn Harris is a pretty uninspirational leader. Nice guy, yes, and a fine player, but a coach he ain't.

Anyway, how best to develop the side? Personally, I think end-of-season tours to developing nations would be a great way of getting the core squad used to playing together. The USA, South Africa, Russia, et al. I mean, the Welsh Union guys like George North, Jonathan Davies and James Hook play together so often they understand each other... Rhys Evans and Eliot Kear are like strangers in comparison.

In the long run I think the future is bright for Welsh RL. It just needs some new blood (a couple of cross code switches wouldn't go amiss whatever anyone's prejudices), and a bit of "bread of heaven" passion.

#40 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

More players playing at junior and youth/teenage level is what is needed: ie development !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users