Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Charnley prepared to fight for place against France

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

[caption id="attachment_2729934" align="alignright" width="300"]Charnley scoring in England's 28-20 defeat against Australia. ©Alex Whitehead/SWpix Charnley scoring in England's 28-20 defeat to Australia. ©Alex Whitehead/SWpix.com[/caption]

Josh Charnley is itching to be selected for England's quarter-final against France this Saturday, which is being played at his home ground.

The Wigan winger missed both the Ireland and Fiji matches due to a shoulder injury and realises he has a lot of work to do to get his place back after strong performances from Tom Briscoe and Ryan Hall.

“The strength of the squad is very good,” said Charnley. “Everyone wants to play so we are all fighting for spots and, if anything, it helps us play better as individuals.

“I have got to train hard this week to get the nod because Tom Briscoe and Ryan Hall have been good. There is a lot of competition in the squad, but if I do get to start it will be exciting to play at Wigan for the last time this year.

“I still want to play, but having the break is not too bad. My shoulder injury is something I have had for a while, so it is not too bad now but it is better to rest it up though.

“I am comfortable and I am alright playing with it. I get an injection before games but over the last couple of weeks I have been able to rest it up a bit more and it is feeling miles better.”

• Tickets for the England v France RLWC2013 quarter-final at the DW Stadium are still available from as little as £15 for adults and £7.50 for concessions. To purchase your ticket, visit www.rlwc2013.com/tickets or call 0844 847 2013.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Briscoe didn't do anything against Fiji so I would give Charnley the nod against France.

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Briscoe isn't a patch on Charnley, not for pace or opportunism.  He's been the top try scorer this year on merit, get him picked and have done with.

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

If you go by season long form it has to be Charnley by a country mile. He has scored more tries in SL this year than Hall and Briscoe combined! 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

If you go by season long form it has to be Charnley by a country mile. He has scored more tries in SL this year than Hall and Briscoe combined! 

Hall is the top try scorer in the competition. He'll not be dropped

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hall is the top try scorer in the competition. He'll not be dropped

Indeed!

Hall is a wonderful finisher and, barring injury, his place should be secure. The contest is between Charnley and Briscoe for the other wing spot. Briscoe is good, but I think, fully fit, Charnley edges it. IMO Charnley is a stronger finisher. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Did anyone else read the title and then picture Josh bare-knuckle surrounded by caravans?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Charnley over Briscoe every day of the week. 

Question is whether Cudjoe will survive the chop after that pathetic girly push last Saturday. I thought it was a disgraceful attempt and there was no effort whatsoever from him to get the player into touch. He should have done everything in his power to get that player in touch, and I for one would drop him for it - if he thinks that is an acceptable standard of defensive commitment at international level then he has a lot to learn.

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Briscoe and Charnely are different players, no point willy-waving. Especially not for Josh.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Charnley over Briscoe every day of the week.

Question is whether Cudjoe will survive the chop after that pathetic girly push last Saturday. I thought it was a disgraceful attempt and there was no effort whatsoever from him to get the player into touch. He should have done everything in his power to get that player in touch, and I for one would drop him for it - if he thinks that is an acceptable standard of defensive commitment at international level then he has a lot to learn.

Agree with this, I was just about to start changing my view on Cudjoe and then he came up with that.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

In fairness Charnley has been off form for the last few matches (including the GF... even though he scored him and Goulding had a relative stinker of a first half).

The good thing about this battle is that 5 years ago we only had two wingers good enough to represent England, the depth in all positions seems to be going up, which seems to be from both the NRL having more British players in and the ESL clubs giving the kids more of a chance. 

#12 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Agree we have more English players to chose from now.
Prior to 14 clubs in SL 47% of players were from overseas.
After some years of 14 clubs and no threat of relegation, English players in SL has gone from 53% to 83%. Roughly 160 to 290.

Perhaps after all, the best way to get more quality players into the game is to have 14 SL clubs and no relegation?

As for Josh Charnley, hope he gets picked but it's no bad thing Briscoe has played well.

#13 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Seems Charnley has had a problematic shoulder which requires injections, and it is this which has kept him out of the last two games.

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'm glad I don't have to make the choice, as there is very little between them. I'd give Josh another go, and then choose. If he is more effective against France than Briscoe was against Ireland given him the semi (final, natch) nod. Plus, if in doubt could do worse than go with the home town player to keep most of the crowd happy.

#15 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Both Charnley and Briscoe are quality wingers and proven performers. I'm comfortable with whoever is selected. I don't think the choice will have a decisive effect on the outcome of any WC game.

The person who called for Cudjoe to be dropped is kidding himself. He is Engands best performing back in this tournament so far, and is a big factor as to why the left-hand edge has been so effective. I think Watkins hasn't had allot to do so far, with most of England's attack coming on the left.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

In fairness Charnley has been off form for the last few matches (including the GF... even though he scored him and Goulding had a relative stinker of a first half).

The good thing about this battle is that 5 years ago we only had two wingers good enough to represent England, the depth in all positions seems to be going up, which seems to be from both the NRL having more British players in and the ESL clubs giving the kids more of a chance.

Two wingers good enough to represent England? Didn't we take Gardner & Calderwood in 2008?

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Agree with this, I was just about to start changing my view on Cudjoe and then he came up with that.

He's a lump. But his handling skills are questionable at best, and as is cited above his heart appear to be pea sized at times.

#18 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Both Charnley and Briscoe are quality wingers and proven performers. I'm comfortable with whoever is selected. I don't think the choice will have a decisive effect on the outcome of any WC game.

The person who called for Cudjoe to be dropped is kidding himself. He is Engands best performing back in this tournament so far, and is a big factor as to why the left-hand edge has been so effective. I think Watkins hasn't had allot to do so far, with most of England's attack coming on the left.

totally disagree with your view on cudjoe if you look back to the aussie game in cardiff he made exactly the same defensive error when brett morris scored in the corner and he hasnt beaten a man in the world cup so far

#19 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

That'll be me.

Hall scored two tries on Saturday, one from a pass from Chase, the other from a pass from Tomkins. I seem to recall the try he scored in Cardiff was off a pass from Tomkins. Didn't see the Ireland game so can't comment on who provided Hall with the final pass for his tries but I'm not sure how many assists Cudjoe has to date. 

As for the "tackle", that was a really lame effort by Cudjoe on Saturday, it looked as if he really couldn't be bothered. Personally, that is not the attitude I would want from my players in defense and he would be dropped for the French match. He could then tackle bag himself back into contention for the following weekend. 

Edited by foozler, 13 November 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Agree we have more English players to chose from now.
Prior to 14 clubs in SL 47% of players were from overseas.
After some years of 14 clubs and no threat of relegation, English players in SL has gone from 53% to 83%. Roughly 160 to 290.

Not that I'm disputing these stats, I'm fascinated by them in fact, but i) where is this info from? ii) is this English or "non-quota"? and does this include all squad players or just the first 25?*

[* as 290/(25x14) = 83%]

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users