Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sympathy for the opposition

Now turned off!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Obviously not an England fan on this earth would have any sympathy during the game against Australia, but i sense there has been some during the last couple games with people realising a closer game is good for the sport. I however now want to say that any sympathy I had for the emerging teams is now gone, and all I want to see is results that help England win this World Cup. If that means it is better preparation for us to butcher France 70-0, so be it. I would however still love to see Scotland and the USA win at the weekend.

#2 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've always had this. I almost always want the underdog to win, sometimes even at the expense of my own team, depending on what seems better for the sport in general at the time.

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Always go for the underdos (except if it's Cas) when i'm watching as a neutral.

#4 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I've always had this. I almost always want the underdog to win, sometimes even at the expense of my own team, depending on what seems better for the sport in general at the time.

And I just thought that was just me   ;)

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Agree. I always go for what I think is best for the sport. Fortunately now, what I think is best for the sport is for England to win the World Cup, which just happens to be what I'd like to happen anyway!

#6 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

People don't watch sport for foregone conclusions - well apart from the Harlem Globetrotters. Probably the least enjoyable game that I have seen in the last few years was Warrington taking apart the Broncos at the Stoop in 2011. The following week we lost to Wigan in the cup. I reckon the ease of the win against Broncos didn't help us in that game.

#7 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

And I just thought that was just me ;)

Yeah me too. As a member of a very minor non heartland club it would be crazy to be anything else.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I think as far as the emerging nations go its a case of job done. They have got the whole thing off to a great start, they have gained some great experience and importantly gained many friends. Anything else from now on is a bonus for those in the quarters, and good luck to them. Would love to see a major upset, but the chances are as close to zero as it gets.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I just hope that USA dot get battered beyond repair, and that when they get home try can sort out their internal politics and kick on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users