Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sympathy for the opposition

Now turned off!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Obviously not an England fan on this earth would have any sympathy during the game against Australia, but i sense there has been some during the last couple games with people realising a closer game is good for the sport. I however now want to say that any sympathy I had for the emerging teams is now gone, and all I want to see is results that help England win this World Cup. If that means it is better preparation for us to butcher France 70-0, so be it. I would however still love to see Scotland and the USA win at the weekend.

#2 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've always had this. I almost always want the underdog to win, sometimes even at the expense of my own team, depending on what seems better for the sport in general at the time.

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Always go for the underdos (except if it's Cas) when i'm watching as a neutral.

#4 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I've always had this. I almost always want the underdog to win, sometimes even at the expense of my own team, depending on what seems better for the sport in general at the time.

And I just thought that was just me   ;)

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Agree. I always go for what I think is best for the sport. Fortunately now, what I think is best for the sport is for England to win the World Cup, which just happens to be what I'd like to happen anyway!

#6 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

People don't watch sport for foregone conclusions - well apart from the Harlem Globetrotters. Probably the least enjoyable game that I have seen in the last few years was Warrington taking apart the Broncos at the Stoop in 2011. The following week we lost to Wigan in the cup. I reckon the ease of the win against Broncos didn't help us in that game.

#7 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

And I just thought that was just me ;)

Yeah me too. As a member of a very minor non heartland club it would be crazy to be anything else.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,948 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I think as far as the emerging nations go its a case of job done. They have got the whole thing off to a great start, they have gained some great experience and importantly gained many friends. Anything else from now on is a bonus for those in the quarters, and good luck to them. Would love to see a major upset, but the chances are as close to zero as it gets.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I just hope that USA dot get battered beyond repair, and that when they get home try can sort out their internal politics and kick on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users