Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Watkins: England ready to match any team physically

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

[caption id="attachment_2729962" align="alignleft" width="300"]Watkins in action for Leeds Rhinos against Bradford Bulls earlier this year. ©RLphotos.com Watkins in action for Leeds Rhinos against Bradford Bulls earlier this year. ©RLphotos.com[/caption]

Leeds Rhinos centre Kallum Watkins says he and his England team-mates are ready to match the physicality of the notoriously tough Pacific-island teams left in the World Cup.

The 22-year-old watched the France V Samoa game on Monday and said he was impressed at the way the French stood up to the powerful - and sometimes illegal - tackling.

"It was quite a tough and physical game," Watkins said.

"They will be quite sore from that, but that's what you expect of all the teams. You've got to be that way and you have got to take it as well.

"That's what we expect for the weekend and hopefully we can match that."
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Physically we can compete with the big-two but I haven't seen the skill and enterprise from England so far that will suggest we can beat them. They need to up it this weekend. C'mon England.

#3 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Physically we can compete with the big-two but I haven't seen the skill and enterprise from England so far that will suggest we can beat them. They need to up it this weekend. C'mon England.

I would imagine 'upping it' for this weekend would not present much difficulty at all. Unfortunately the one following is the time that more than what has been displayed from our team so far, will require a very great degree of 'upping it', wouldn't you agree?

The absolute lack of the skill and enterprise you are waiting to see has also, to date, eluded me too and I wonder where we can derive it from, V France, of course it will be a cakewalk again, but our opponents the following week will most certainly present nothing at all, approaching the opposition we will have faced in the previous three of our games.

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

In the words of the great Parappa the Rapper, "You gotta believe"

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Has Watkins done much this WC?

Some fair to reasonable defense and anonymous in attack

Hardly realised he has been on the field in the last three games.

Edited by boxhead, 14 November 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#6 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

I would imagine 'upping it' for this weekend would not present much difficulty at all. Unfortunately the one following is the time that more than what has been displayed from our team so far, will require a very great degree of 'upping it', wouldn't you agree?

The absolute lack of the skill and enterprise you are waiting to see has also, to date, eluded me too and I wonder where we can derive it from, V France, of course it will be a cakewalk again, but our opponents the following week will most certainly present nothing at all, approaching the opposition we will have faced in the previous three of our games.

That's very true, we won't need to improve much to beat France, if at all. However, we need to build towards NZ and almost play against France as we will verses NZ. Otherwise we won't get much from the game in preparation.

In my opinion we have the skill and enterprise to beat NZ, however the way in which we play is often very conservative and predictable. I feel Macca needs to give free license to our game-breakers such to chance-their-arms. Also the forwards need to offload more in the tackle. NZ were offloading a lot in their previous match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users