Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a shock left in the tournament....?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Australia winning would be a shock for me. They don't look anything special in the tournament and sound like they have treated it like a holiday!

Interesting. What odds will you give me on Australia winning the World Cup then?

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

I don't particularly think there is a major shock, ie I can't see Scotland, USA or France winning in the QF's and I can't see Samoa or Fiji winning in the Semi Final.

I am still holding out for a minor shock though in the form of England winning in the Final against Australia.

#23 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Scotland, France or USA could pull off a major shock.

They probably won't, but how good is it that we're at the 1/4 final stage and it could still happen.

#24 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Just for reference, odds for the favourites to win their respective quarter-finals

NZ - 1/500

Australia - 1/1000

England - 1/100

Samoa - 4/7

So cumulative odds (for £1 staked) of 1.59. But backing Samoa on their own would return 1.57!

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

-Samoa beating Australia ,  it's possible  / long long shot bu possible. The Ref would have to be pro Samoa for starters. The Aussie players having a massive fall out with Tim Sheens would help ( Iff he doesn't win the cup we all know his fate )

On that note, William Hill are offering 16/1 on it being anything other than Australia v NZ or England in the final.

A long shot, but tempting

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 lanclynx

lanclynx
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yes.  Australia won.  So that wasn't really a shock was it?

Maybe, but watching Lee Briers pop over field goals for fun was fantastic. 

#27 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Would Widdop getting another game count as a shock...?

Posted Image

#28 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

If the USA beat the convicts then I'm going naked for a week !

#29 dibbley

dibbley
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Mcnamara growing a pair, and admiting he has made mistakes, and then actually doing something about it, that would shock the sheeeet outta me.

#30 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

If the USA beat the convicts then I'm going naked for a week !

You wouldn't be alone! A new spin on movember!!

#31 dibbley

dibbley
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Just for reference, odds for the favourites to win their respective quarter-finals

NZ - 1/500

Australia - 1/1000

England - 1/100

Samoa - 4/7

So cumulative odds (for £1 staked) of 1.59. But backing Samoa on their own would return 1.57!

so a 59 percent return, better than the bank.  samoa too risky to include in that accumulator though.