Macnamara omits Widdop totally

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Not in the 19 man squad for France .... But Captain Marvellous , Chase and Mcilorum still trundle in the middle. I'll never get this one I'm afraid . Maybe Craig Bellamy has got it all wrong ? I can't help think that this coach is leading us to the exit door with his stubbornness and deficiencies , when we could be getting much more ... Very frustrating .

Edited by DavidM, 14 November 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

How long does he need and how many games before he realises that Chase and Sinfield don't go very well at halfback? He is one stubborn man but unfortunately we will all have to be disappointed. Maybe 2017 if we get a proper coach, someone who has actually achieved something.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

I thought Sinfield and Chase done ok at the weekend and Mcllorum played well too.. Widdop wont be fit. He missed alot of the season with injury.
I agree with you that he is very stubborn infact he is a dick!
Who would you have as head coach though?

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

I don't think it's a full time job . They narrowed the field with the criteria . The ANZACS do OK and they rarely have a full time coach . Pick a top club coach or great ex - player to do it , it's only a handful of games every couple of years . A guy with his finger on the pulse as a working coach , or a respected figure as a motivator will do . These guys don't need coaching . Macnamara has tried to hard , been too intense , but hasn't the skills and flexibility that are actually needed in my opinion .

#5 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

McIlorum wasn't up to speed last week vs Fiji and was one of the main reasons England didn't look fluent in the first half.
England will be fine with Roby and then Sinfield as back up. oh hang on, you need another half back if Sinfield moves to hooker to spell Roby. Maybe he'll use O'Loughlin. Unsatisfactory choice for me.

#6 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Mcillorum was poor last week, the game changed when burrow came on and speeded our game up.i think widdop has shown very little when he has got a chance at half back, I would still put him at fullback and tomkins at scrum half. Tomkins is way to dodgy under the high ball to play against the kiwis and aussies
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#7 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Mcillorum was poor last week, the game changed when burrow came on and speeded our game up.i think widdop has shown very little when he has got a chance at half back, I would still put him at fullback and tomkins at scrum half. Tomkins is way to dodgy under the high ball to play against the kiwis and aussies

Agree with all of that Wonky, although Burrows has his obvious weakness in defence he has to be on the bench to either spell Roby or give some zip to our halves. McIllorum just isn't good enough yet. Tomkins needs the ball in his hand so it would be ideal to put him where he made his mark in the halves, and put somebody sound at full back.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#8 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Yes , at least guys like Widdop and Burrow are good footballers and give you options to be flexible . He limits himself by his selections .

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yes , at least guys like Widdop and Burrow are good footballers and give you options to be flexible . He limits himself by his selections .

england limited thereselves by employing him.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#10 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

We don't need to pick a hooker based on his defensive qualities, we have another 5 forwards on the field and at least 3 forwards on the bench to do that.
McN obviously does not like Widdop, but the lad succeeds in the NRL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users