Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Good forwards but can we get rid of sinfield and chase (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 scout

scout
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

What teams halves are standing out so far in the World Cup?
One love One Hindpool

#22 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

What teams halves are standing out so far in the World Cup?

There have been a number of halves that I would have preferred to have in place of Sinfield and Chase.

Obviously, Thurston and Cronk, Johnson has played well, and I would even chose the USA scrum half over either of ours.

#23 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Keiran Foran has played well also and he'll take the line on.

I think we will just have to back the team with Chase and Sinfield as halves. The games so far have proven that they have struggled to match the levels of other halves, but even so, we shouldn't be changing to Widdop now, who McN clarly does not rate and who has only had very limited game time in the past 8 weeks.

As someone pointed out, the 9 situation still needs addressing. We can't afford to play a 9 who's purpose is to defend the opening 25 mins. McIl is a good aggresive defender, but offers little in attack. We need a better attacking 9, in view of our less than formidable halves. Roby for me, easily. Interchange - probably Burrow, but ok with Sinfield.

But then, hold on, who goes in the halves if Sinfield goes to 9 to spell Roby? O'Loughlin? We are now in the bad position of not having another half back available. If McN rated Widdop he would have played more by now, so now after todays selections he clearly isn't an option.

#24 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Keiran Foran has played well also and he'll take the line on.I think we will just have to back the team with Chase and Sinfield as halves. The games so far have proven that they have struggled to match the levels of other halves, but even so, we shouldn't be changing to Widdop now, who McN clarly does not rate and who has only had very limited game time in the past 8 weeks.As someone pointed out, the 9 situation still needs addressing. We can't afford to play a 9 who's purpose is to defend the opening 25 mins. McIl is a good aggresive defender, but offers little in attack. We need a better attacking 9, in view of our less than formidable halves. Roby for me, easily. Interchange - probably Burrow, but ok with Sinfield.But then, hold on, who goes in the halves if Sinfield goes to 9 to spell Roby? O'Loughlin? We are now in the bad position of not having another half back available. If McN rated Widdop he would have played more by now, so now after todays selections he clearly isn't an option.

The only guy actually playing like a half is Tomkins, so why not play him there from the start.

Widdop can play full back, so we will be fine with that.

#25 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think Chase should be replaced by Widdop. I think Chase is a liability.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#26 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Tomkins is playing the modern full back role, most full backs these days chime in the attacking line and often look like a third half back.

#27 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Tomkins is playing the modern full back role, most full backs these days chime in the attacking line and often look like a third half back.

Yes, I am aware of that, but thanks for the egg sucking lesson nonetheless.

I am advocating Tomkins at half because neither of the incumbent pair are doing the job properly.

Please don't bore me with tales of Sinfield's leadership skills, as we are weeks past that one being logical.

Someone needs to take the ball to the line. Sinfield is playing so far away from it he probably can't even see it. Opposition teams know that our SH is not going to break the line, so they have one less thing to worry about.

They also know he is not going to run to the line, and pass people through it. In fact they know that all he is going to do is one masterful kick on the third tackle.

#28 scout

scout
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

It would be interesting to see the current stats for all halves in the competition to give a better indication of how they are all performing/performed.
One love One Hindpool

#29 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Simmo I'm not going to discuss the merits of our number 7 on here because it's pointless. You are coming across a tad obsessed though.

#30 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Simmo I'm not going to discuss the merits of our number 7 on here because it's pointless. You are coming across a tad obsessed though.

Absolutely priceless!

#31 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Absolutely priceless!

The only person banging on about England's number 7 is you.

#32 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

The only person banging on about England's number 7 is you.

Which I have every right to do.

Thanks.

#33 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Which I have every right to do.

Thanks.

Of course you do, remember it works both ways though, I get nothing but childish insults if I dare to mention the current England number 7

#34 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Of course you do, remember it works both ways though, I get nothing but childish insults if I dare to mention the current England number 7

That might be because your views about his level of greatness are seen as somewhat irrational.

#35 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Sinfield had his most anonymous game to date.
Chase wanted to niggle, but that was about it.
We also went with 3 props. NZ will come at us with 5. That also is a worry for me. Plus big Frank Pritchard will be running at the channel Sinfield defends in all day.

James Graham was the best player by a mile, but we can't play him for an hour and then give Goerge Burgess limited game time. Graham and Hill have good engines, but last night the impact of the bench was nullified. In addition, absolutely no point in going with 2 second rowers on the bench.

Therefore, for me, last night was worrying :
Halves did nothing
Bench did nothing apart from Roby
Played 1 hooker just as a defensive player for 25 mins
Played 3 props and 4 second rowers

France effectively played with 15 men for 65 minutes, so their rotations were limited

#36 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

That might be because your views about his level of greatness are seen as somewhat irrational.

But they aren't if you actually read my thoughts properly you will see that I don't think he is a RL god I just think he brings a lot if qualities to a RL team and I think he's the right man for the job in this WC, no hyperbole no worshipping, just an opinion.

I have never gone over the top, it's a total RL myth.

#37 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Oh and can I add I thought the half backs were poor last night.

#38 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

From the 6 and 7 I would hope they looked to control the game and make the defence wonder what options was coming with structured play. Sometimes running and taking the line on, various pass options and kick options. From the England games so far I cant say either Sinfield or Chase have done much of that and looked dangerous. Sinfield is a very good SL player who organizes. But is not the fastest player in the world nor has he the best passing game. He does have a good rugby brain and kicking game. But sadly when playing against NZ and Australia he is not the threat needed at 7. Rangi Chase is a confidence player who can only really play off the cuff. That might work in SL but at the highest level he brings nothing but confusion to his team. He easily loses his cool as once again shown against the French when he makes alot of errors and runs around like a headless chicken. But the current 2 have not exactly set the world on fire both in the WC or before for England. But would you change them now for the Semi? 

But whilst Widdop is none of them he has played with and against them on many occasssions and he does take the line on and is used to a structured system. He has also got MoM for The Storm when the big 3 have been on SoO duty. He is no mug. For me he has never been given much of a fair go under Mcnamara and I know he is very frustrated by this and fedup. If Sinfield and Chase had been very good for England then probably Widdop would be a bit more understanding wi te situation. But neither Sinfield or Chase have shone so far and neither have shown they deserve to be at 6 and 7 no matter what. I dont think Widdop will play and it will be very difficult to shine when not given the right time and preperation. England should stick with Sinfield and Chase for the WC but look to use Widdop and give others more chance than so far in future. Chase for me would never be near ENgland again as he had enough chances and done nothing really. 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 17 November 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Chase has made more errors this tournament that he has had clean breaks and try assists put together.

I rest my case.

Edited by RSN, 17 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#40 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Half backs who've been better than ours?

Off the top of my head: Cherry Evans, Paulo, Cronk, Thurston, Johnson, Brough and quite a few more including Widdop who for 20minutes against Australia managed to get the ball out wide more often than Chase and Sinfield have done in the 5hours they've played.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users