Filling Wembley - Brainstorm

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Just some thoughts - in an ideal world - on how to fill Wembley next weekend...

- Allocate 10-20,000 'recognition' tickets now to the Armed Forces, WC volunteers, charity workers linked to the WC etc.etc.

- Contact local schools during the week to give them a special 'group' price for a block of 20 tickets. Put all of these groups in the same area of the stadium.

Would be worth a crack to increase the attendance and therefore build upon the (what will already be) excellent atmosphere at Wembley.

Rather have bums on seats and extra vocal support than 'wasted' blocks.

No shame in doing that - similar initiatives are the only way they were able to fill Twickenham for a number of years in the 90s!

Edited by Banbury Wolf, 17 November 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#2 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Good shout.

It would be a sin to have empty seats there on Saturday.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

any tickets not sold by wednesday should be given away.....lets fill the joint

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

That wont be fair on those who bought tickets but letting kids in for free will be ideal. Twickenham is always sold out due to the successful ways union sold their tickets through its local clubs and members and its similar here in NZ and Australia.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

sod being fair....most of us got tickets half price anyway lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#6 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Unfair doesn't even come in to it, the poster above says most have discounted tix anyway, id save some for walk ups but invite several deserving bodies like armed forces, hospital staff etc and fill the place.

#7 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

Here's a great idea to fill Wembley - the moaning Rugby League fans need to quit their moaning and buy a ticket and realise what a great product our game is!

Oh and take a mate with you!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

Have to say I like the idea of giving away a certain % of tickets away to local schools and the armed forces but what about the 200,000+ Aussies and kiwis that live in and around London? Surely we could/should be targeting them?

#9 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

Here's a great idea to fill Wembley - the moaning Rugby League fans need to quit their moaning and buy a ticket and realise what a great product our game is!

Oh and take a mate with you!

I'd love to go, but simply cannot afford it. Fancy paying for me?

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#10 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

The danger with giving away tickets is that people start expecting them and don't bother paying.  Seen it happen at other events (music festivals) when tickets went on group-on and the next year the initial sales were shockingly poor as people waited for the massive price cut.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#11 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Push it promote it but don't start giving swathes of free tickets away as many of the recipients won't turn up and it makes selling your next big event much more difficult. FWIW I'd rather we offered a special offer to people affected by cancer in honour of Steve Prescott than the other suggestions here.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#12 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

How many tickets have been sold so far?

#13 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'd love to go, but simply cannot afford it. Fancy paying for me?

Different! Not being able to afford is a genuine reason.

I was refering to the moaners. I haven't seen you on here moaning about how "it's a stupid idea, stick to the heartlands, southerners don't like the game, it'll be a flop, I blame the RFL" rubbish.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 17 November 2013 - 08:33 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Giving away tickets isn't a great strategy.
Posted Image

#15 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Perhaps giving a deal to Broncos pass holders to show we haven't forgotten them 4 tickets for 20 quid 

#16 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Giving away tickets isn't a great strategy.

it is a day or 2 out from the game when theres still 25,000 tickets left

Edited by roughyedspud, 17 November 2013 - 08:42 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

There needs to be a media blitz starting tomorrow, adverts and interviews with the organizers, players and coaches on BBC radio 5live, BBC radio London, talksport, LBC etc with competitions to win tickets and details about the price of the tickets. Borris Johnson passing a rugby ball to or being tackled by Sam burgess, Greg inglis, SBW etc will attract all the media as he's a magnet for them, also some sort of "event" in trafalgar square like what was done leading upto the challenge cup final. Maybe we could even target the city slickers that work in "the city" wheeling and dealing in the stock exchange.

#18 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

There are some good ideas in this thread. Hopefully someone at the RLWC HQ will pick up on them.
Oh for a dynamic marketing strategist in the corridors of power.
Some of the profits from this WC should be spent on headhunting and paying for someone to fill this role.
It's a vital aspect of the business of sport. The role would be self financing once in place.
We've got the product but we cannot sell it- but we could if we tried.
"Pay peanuts get monkeys"

Edited by bearman, 17 November 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#19 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

No no no, it's cheap enough for gods sake
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#20 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think giving away small groups of tickets to the right organizations is a good idea but giving away thousands of free tickets just cheapens the product and comes across as desperate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users