Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England so far

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

To nights performance average to say the least.If we dont make the final the team wont have failed us the coach will have.Not one break from the half backs please tell me hes not going to play this pair against New Zealand. If Frances wingers would have been up to the mark we would have scrapped home. Any one of the top four super league clubs would have produced the same result.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 17 November 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

To nights performance average to say the least.If we dont make the final the team wont have failed us the coach will have.Not one break from the half backs please tell me hes not going to play this pair against New Zealand. If Frances wingers would have been up to the mark we would have scrapped home. Any one of the top four super league clubs would have produced the same result.

And they are made up of English players only are they?

I know that SM isn't liked by same but too many people seem to be just waiting for the team to fail so that they can blame it on him. Sadly, like many of our other sports in this country, the number of eligible players to choose from - who are also good enough - is very limited. I reckon this team is as good as could have been selected but sadly will prove not to be good enough to win the cup, maybe not even reach the final. I will view that as a realistic recognition of the state of English RL at present.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

And they are made up of English players only are they?

I know that SM isn't liked by same but too many people seem to be just waiting for the team to fail so that they can blame it on him. Sadly, like many of our other sports in this country, the number of eligible players to choose from - who are also good enough - is very limited. I reckon this team is as good as could have been selected but sadly will prove not to be good enough to win the cup, maybe not even reach the final. I will view that as a realistic recognition of the state of English RL at present.

Agreed. Also, I reckon that in my half a century, the top three national teams have never been collectively stronger so harder than ever to win the world cup.

For me it is a great opportunity to watch some off-season (dare I say winter?) rugby with no parochialism.. . . . what can be better than watching the world's best players playing the world's best game?

#4 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Danny brough in a Aussie shirt and the English public will call him the best half back in the world.. Danny brough over rangi chase and england are a lot better side

#5 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Danny brough in a Aussie shirt and the English public will call him the best half back in the world.. Danny brough over rangi chase and england are a lot better side

I have watched Widdop play all season and he has been oustanding, yet he can't get a game.

It's an old boys club and always will be im afraid.

SM picking his mates - For those that need it saying how it is.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#6 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Agreed. Also, I reckon that in my half a century, the top three national teams have never been collectively stronger so harder than ever to win the world cup.

For me it is a great opportunity to watch some off-season (dare I say winter?) rugby with no parochialism.. . . . what can be better than watching the world's best players playing the world's best game?

Theres one here not waiting for England to fail.Trouble is on here like many sites people tend to have learnt to live with failure.That team with the right half backs can beat New Zealand..When Burrows came on last week he changed the game..Last night was a warning hes a week to sort it out. In fact had he got it right from the start we would have been playing the Aussies with out Slater.

#7 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Theres one here not waiting for England to fail.Trouble is on here like many sites people tend to have learnt to live with failure.That team with the right half backs can beat New Zealand..When Burrows came on last week he changed the game..Last night was a warning hes a week to sort it out. In fact had he got it right from the start we would have been playing the Aussies with out Slater.

Oh no! No billy slater!!! who on earth will they play who can possibly replace him?????
Think the answer to this makes it clear just how big the chasm is between England and the Australians.
This isn't a dig at SM or anyone,just a plain and simple fact.The players aren't good enough.
"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#8 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

I know there is a lot of unrest about McNamara picking Chase but one of the things that has really stood out for me is the number of players the big two have in there squads who are not actually playing for their country of birth either.

I would be interesting to see England playing an Australian or a NZ side for that matter that just had born and bred Kiwi's and Aussies in it and did not include the best pickings from the other nations around them.

Here's a few examples:

Jarryd Hayne played for Fiji in the last world cup

Josh Papalii a Kiwi playing for Australia

James Tamou a Kiwi playing for Australia

Sam Moa a Tongan playing for NZ

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck a Samoan playing for NZ

Manu Vatuvei Tongan playing for NZ

Josh Hoffman Aussie playing for NZ

If the England and Spanish National football teams took the same stance they would be Finalists in every tournament too.

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I know there is a lot of unrest about McNamara picking Chase but one of the things that has really stood out for me is the number of players the big two have in there squads who are not actually playing for their country of birth either.

I would be interesting to see England playing an Australian or a NZ side for that matter that just had born and bred Kiwi's and Aussies in it and did not include the best pickings from the other nations around them.

Here's a few examples:

If the England and Spanish National football teams took the same stance they would be Finalists in every tournament too.

Not to mention the cricket team..........................oh!!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

No matter who the coach is (or was) the EnglandGB teams' performances of the last number of years has not been very good and last evening was no exception. There seems to be a lack of creativity, except perhaps (as Equalizer put) when Burrow was on the field.

I cannot see them defeating New Zealand without a massive improvement and they must play as a team.

As for players born in one country and playing for another, is there any country in his competition whose players were born there?
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#11 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

I just though I'd add to DOGFATHER's comment and add that in the Australian RU side, they have a fly half playing for them called Quade Cooper who is infact a kiwi by birth, the only reason he is playing for Australia is because he has played his rugby there. The same with England RU centre Manu Tualagi, he is infact a Samoan, but plays for England due fact he has played his rugby there.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#12 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

Here's a few examples:

Dogfather the Spanish National football team are World & European Champions. So your arguement falls flat then.

And we do have a third rate Aussie in Rangi chase in the England team , who would not get in the Australian 3rd team, so we are to blame as well for playing foreigners as well.

#13 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

No but Danny brough would be a good enough halfback to cause the Aussies problems!

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

No but Danny brough would be a good enough halfback to cause the Aussies problems!

...and he committed to play for Scotland in March. So what would you do, kidnap him?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Only committed because the coach didn't pick him in first place when he warranted an inclusion in the 40 odd plus train on squad at the beginning of the year, purely didn't get picked because his face didn't fit

#16 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Only committed because the coach didn't pick him in first place when he warranted an inclusion in the 40 odd plus train on squad at the beginning of the year, purely didn't get picked because his face didn't fit

#17 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

By the way it would have been Fiji had we beaten the Aussies in the semis.Thought you lads would have picked up on that.lol

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Broughies face wouldn't fit well on a wanted poster - have to admit though - he's the best halfback in the English game.

#19 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Broughies face wouldn't fit well on a wanted poster - have to admit though - he's the best halfback in the English game.

In Super League against other not so good ones then yes but as has always been the case with Brough and his time in a Scotland this time also proves it, he has a tendency to go missing on the big stage and cant be relied upon.

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

In Super League against other not so good ones then yes but as has always been the case with Brough and his time in a Scotland this time also proves it, he has a tendency to go missing on the big stage and cant be relied upon.

But that would have been SM's fault Gary!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users