Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How much Wine in a bottle

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

The apostrophe.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

The apostrophe.

:biggrin: 

Seriously, when I was younger, the choice was French for red and German/Austrian for white, and their cheaper plonk wasn't that great. Then, Eastern Europe muscled in with more drinkable stuff at the lower price range, followed by the big breakthrough that was Australia. Remember the Monty Python sketch? It wasn't that long ago that Aussie wines weren't all that great, but they wised up and weren't afraid to abandon tradition and try new methods.

New Zealand, South Africa, North & South America all raised the bar while France in particular stayed stuck in the mud. Pound for pound, at the various budget levels, they were totally outgunned. Only after a long time did they unbend a bit and take on some of the New World expertise.

Now, there are excellent wines you can buy from Croatia to Kent, from Lebanon to Patagonia, and the traditional producers have had to accept that they are not above competition.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,962 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

:biggrin:

Seriously, when I was younger, the choice was French for red and German/Austrian for white, and their cheaper plonk wasn't that great. Then, Eastern Europe muscled in with more drinkable stuff at the lower price range, followed by the big breakthrough that was Australia. Remember the Monty Python sketch? It wasn't that long ago that Aussie wines weren't all that great, but they wised up and weren't afraid to abandon tradition and try new methods.

New Zealand, South Africa, North & South America all raised the bar while France in particular stayed stuck in the mud. Pound for pound, at the various budget levels, they were totally outgunned. Only after a long time did they unbend a bit and take on some of the New World expertise.

Now, there are excellent wines you can buy from Croatia to Kent, from Lebanon to Patagonia, and the traditional producers have had to accept that they are not above competition.

Just stay away from anything calling itself Cornish wine.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Just stay away from anything calling itself Cornish wine.

Or 'tonic wine', unless you are a gentleman of the road...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

The apostrophe.

That made me guffaw on the bus!

LUNEW.jpg

#27 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

I don't drink wine, but I've always thought does it matter how much it costs? if it tastes nice then drink it, if not then don't!

#28 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Sunday Times Wine club for me. They've never let me down.

Interesting that bleep hadn't bought French wine in years, but still slates them. As a general point let's hope he stays away from all wine for a bit.

Not just wine, all alcohol since August 5

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#29 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Not just wine, all alcohol since August 5

You poor thing, wasn't there an operation you could have had so that you could keep drinking?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#30 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

So french Wine was good back in the day.

#31 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

So french Wine was good back in the day.

It still can be good but, because many French winemakers don't put the grape varieties used on their labels (tradition, y'see?), you have to know a bit more to avoid the poor ones.

#32 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Didn't Steve May, sometime of this parish, once say he had a job bottling wine from the giant vats new world wine comes over in?

Not quite but I have spent rather a lot of time over the past few years working for a wine company.

They bring most of it over it giant plastic bladders in containers on ships.  Very interesting stuff.

Personally, I don't really like wine.

That's me.  I'm done.

#33 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Twenty years ago, I used to deal with a Huddersfield company that bottled and marketed wine. it was delivered from Europe in road tankers!

Continental Wines & Spirits, on Leeds Road?

Still there, not far from the stadium.

That's me.  I'm done.

#34 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Continental Wines & Spirits, on Leeds Road?

Still there, not far from the stadium.

Not far from the chemical plants then?

LUNEW.jpg

#35 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Nowt wrong with French wine. Had 10 days in Bordeaux in September, and did my best to sample as much as I could.
New Zealand Pinot Noir is favourite though
Very drinkable cheap-ish wine - can't go wrong with Il Papavero from Laithwaites. Goes down very well and not too strong

#36 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Stephen De Wet's Arabella Merlot 14.5% 

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Nowt wrong with French wine. Had 10 days in Bordeaux in September, and did my best to sample as much as I could.
New Zealand Pinot Noir is favourite though
Very drinkable cheap-ish wine - can't go wrong with Il Papavero from Laithwaites. Goes down very well and not too strong

Affordable French wine has become competitive again, as long as you know what to buy. They cling to tradition when it comes to naming and labelling, which puts many people off, as it's sometimes hard to know what you're getting.

I believe some of their winemakers have swallowed their pride and looked to the new world wineries for expertise, as they can't get away with selling watery plonk when the Antipodes and South America can offer much more for the same price.

One thing I would recommend is South African Chenin blanc - over the last decade or so, they've learned how to make that grape variety produce something really special.

Edited by Futtocks, 22 January 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#38 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

They bring most of it over it giant plastic bladders in containers on ships.  Very interesting stuff.

Yup. Tanker wine, as it's known. It's cheaper to transport it this way presumably, rather than shipping masses of bottles.

#39 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2sGLWM0pL

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users