Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 squad.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

I agree with abu on brett carter,on his tweets he is saying he might sign for an amateur club near by.I think the board would know about brett by now and if he is not coming back good luck to the lad he has done nothing wrong at town,obviously it might be down to money and if he doe's not agree that's his prerogative,and,I would hope that the club will be looking at a replacement for brett(if he go's) but he will be a hard act to follow.At this time we see other clubs signing players for the new season but there seems to be a big lull in the town camp,i am has any supporter of town is wanting players in the squad signed up but has they say"no news is good news" but they don't half keep us hanging on,anyway I personally think we need another big prop and another quality half back and I was reading on the haven site that the young fella Dixon(I think?) was open to offers and being from the brow I think he will have had a good training at the brow,and also the young fella brocklebank,I think that callum Philips and either of them two will fit very well.I am hopeful that we will get these lads in to strengthen the side for a top nine finish or above and to keep the young amateurs coming in. 

Edited by troutmaster, 24 November 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Posted Image

#42 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Brett Carter puts on Twitter as he often talks a load of S***e on there just to get people going but I do agree that it's time the fans were hearing something from the club. Pre-season training has started at most clubs now and the later we sign players then the more likely we are to hear the old crack of not getting a full pre-season behind them, etc. I sometimes worry that we don't have the contacts when we are looking for players. Wood's at Haven seems to have some good contacts and has made one or two astute signings.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#43 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

I would be surprised if Brett didn't sign back on with us, there are a couple more lads now from south Cumbria for the car school to training. He is a top quality player so it would be disappointing if he were to go elsewhere, but only he can decide if he is happy here or not.
As far as our neighbours are concerned, from what Woods was saying it sounds like they are rolling the dice again for SL2. Hope their overdraft doesn't start bottoming out again!!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#44 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well what i call the real training starts thursday,brett should be in good shape been in the Scotland squad,i have never seen the lad Dixon but was told by people that have that he would be a really good signing,and another top local amateur.

#45 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

It is a bit embarrassing when you look in the paper for news , and you see teams signing , and having investment , and announcing preseason schedules , and we have a bit on facing cage fighters . Bit cringing that really . We need some news to get season tickets going and the ball rolling to the new season

#46 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Im not sure which paper your looking in but a quick scan of the N&S online shows as many signing stories for us as haven and an equal amount of off season stories. Not sure why training with cage fighters is cringey exactly.

#47 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Not the specific but more the lack of meaty news to report . It's just often with us that it's peripheral stuff in the League Express as nothing much is coming out of real worth to keep people engaged . And this is the time when we want people engaged and renewing tickets

#48 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I can understand the BOD keeping a tight ship on probable signings, but to keep the supports happy i think we could all do with a little bit more news about things in general what is going on at the club.

#49 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I can understand the BOD keeping a tight ship on probable signings, but to keep the supports happy i think we could all do with a little bit more news about things in general what is going on at the club.

Absolutely no argument with that, the club needs to engage the fans more. But I would prefer them not to comment on transfers to be honest, until theres something concrete. 

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Things in general is a good phrase Abu ... There's several areas of substance you can comment on to stay in the news , not just transfer gossip . To often it seems padding in the paper . In many ways this is the most important time of the year to be engaging with fans and potential fans , particularly after a good season and a great WC profile .

Edited by DavidM, 25 November 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#51 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yes you get people that use to be good supporters trying to show an interest asking me time and again what,s going on at the club,the answer is i am as wise as you,be nice to tell them little snippets to give them a bit of interest on what,s going on.

#52 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Ha 2 cage fighters they're both my marras haven lads haven fans let's hope they dont cause maximum damage on your star players .... nah 2 good lads really

#53 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

At the end of the little snippet about the cage fighters in League Weekly it stated that Town have a friendly with Barrow on 7th February. Nothing about this on both websites!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#54 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

We need a team before we arrange friendlies

#55 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

YOU HAVEN10 just worry about your team up the road, we have got our team thank you we just need 1 or 2 more additions to make a really good squad.

#56 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

YOU HAVEN10 just worry about your team up the road, we have got our team thank you we just need 1 or 2 more additions to make a really good squad.

1 or 2? Honestly? I think 4 or 5 minimum.

Edited by wonky, 25 November 2013 - 10:01 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#57 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well Wonky you could be right but just depends on our DR works with WIDNES?

#58 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

I say 4 new signings 2 props 1 full back 1 half back then dr if neede

#59 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

and i say you both are right four or five would be great, when i said 1 or 2 it is just what most people say when we wont more if you know what i mean?? 

#60 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

6 needed at least

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users