RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 squad.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

We can't rely on the DR system to be honest as the second they get injuries we won't have any availability from them, we need the odd one or 2 players to come in every now and then, craven would be nice for the season but he will be in and out of there first team all season!! We need to be getting about 6 players to be honest, experience in the front row to replace dowes is a must followed by 2 or 3 forwards and 2 backs who can cover a few positions for sure.

#62 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Without DR I reckon we need 4 minimum, 2 props and 2 utility backs. I have faith in the BOD to srengthen the squad in the near future, I would imagine they are now back to dealing with Town issues after the huge distraction of organising those fantastic WC games. Keep the faith !!

#63 abu

abu
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I think every one has forgot we have signed lad called LUCOCK and he is good and will make a good impact just like Brett Callum @ Dan.

#64 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Amateur talent is fantastic , I applaud us mining that recruitment area , and a couple more top notchers are welcome ,but however good our success rate so far ,it is always a gamble by definition , and we need experience ' ready made ' quality as well to give a good mix . We need to be recruiting the tried n tested now to add to our exciting potential . This league needs the experienced , the been there done it's , especially in key spots ... And the new lads feed off and compliment them . To me we desperately need a strike centre , a fullback , a half if Craven / Gilmore can't be secured on long loan , a prop and a back up to big Brett n Jarrad .

Edited by DavidM, 27 November 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#65 abu

abu
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

We would all like to have really  good and tested ready made players, but most of the lads we had last year you would not say they where experienced players,including Craven @ Gilmore and Lawson plus the 2 Walne brothers but we would all like to see them back,Six ready made players don,t come cheap and are still not guaranteed to be a success??

#66 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Without DR I reckon we need 4 minimum, 2 props and 2 utility backs. I have faith in the BOD to srengthen the squad in the near future, I would imagine they are now back to dealing with Town issues after the huge distraction of organising those fantastic WC games. Keep the faith !!

I think one thing you can take as a certainty, unicorn106, is that everyone posting on here now keeps the faith as each and everyone will be there when the season starts. That shouldn't be taken for granted though!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#67 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yes it's a fair point that quality doesn't equate to experience . I guess we learned that even one stand out player can make a difference , and they can be young bucks like Leatherbarrow or old heads like Cooke . All of the teams outside the top 5 are much of a muchness , and key individuals or lack of them determined theyre season .Lupton was our stand out , and youd like some of the burden taken off him this year .Either way you need quality that is proven as well as great potential. All the SL youngsters we have had in the last couple of years have groundings in pro clubs and yes it would fill many of our needs if they kindly came back !

Edited by DavidM, 27 November 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#68 abu

abu
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

If it where possible to get the 2 walne brothers, lawson, or kavanagh, craven,or gilmore, pluse hulme, would do me fine?

#69 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

I like your Christmas list ... Dave P on a plane would be nice to ! Then we'd just need a fullback to sign or re-sign .

#70 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

I think d p is staying out there for another year

#71 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yeh that was just on the wish list , he seems to love it out there . Certainly should be keeping tabs with him though . Him or Annakin would be a Trojan for us .

#72 abu

abu
  • Coach
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well Dave with the doc splashing the cash at salford there might be a chance of the Walne lads, as with hulme and either Craven or Gilmore from Widnes, but kavanagh and Lawson both could be in widnes first squad?

#73 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Kav should be in their first team was brill in the World Cup

#74 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

He was a standout

#75 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

It is being reported in the RL press that Doctor Marwan Koukash is interested in buying Swinton Lions.    Swinton to date don't have any players signed on nor do they have a coach so if the Doctor does buy Swinton it could only be to give his Salford SL team a reserve team and that would scupper any plans we had to get back the Walne lads for the season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#76 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

And he wants Sonny Boy ... And he wants to crash football ... I think it's unacceptable to own two teams in the same code personally , but the bloke would buy the moon if he could. Swinton are partially at least now seeing the shortsightedness off lazily being Warrington A last season.

Edited by DavidM, 02 December 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#77 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Connor added

#78 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Carter added