Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RLWC 2017 format?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

Group A - All games played in capital cities of Australia.
Australia, England, 7-8, 11-12

Group B - All games played across NZ
NZ, Fiji, 7-8, 11-12

Group C - All PNG games played in PNG, the rest in northern Australia.
PNG (5), 9-10, 13-14, 15-16

Group D - Played in "regional" and suburban grounds.
6, 9-10, 13-14, 15-16.

Quarters - Played in Gold Coast, Townsville, Newcastle & Wellington.
A1 V B3
B1 V A3
C1 V B2
D1 V A2

Semi Final DH in Brisbane

Final in Auckland

#42 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

For me, we have 29 countries in the world rankings and ALL these should be involved in qualifying. Those that don't qualify should be in an emerging nations tourney with maybe some of the starter countries. The many World cups was a great idea but I felt they were too far away from the actual tournament.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#43 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

This seems right to me.There are other minnows who could take those two extra spots like Lebanon, Canada, Jamaica and South Africa for example. Having any of those countries (except Canada)would give the WC a bigger geographical spread and make it even more of a WORLD cup.

With hindsight it sounds logical, but i am presuming nobody was expecting the smaller games to be so successful.......Lets remember there are more teams in this world cup than the last! 

Countries should prove they are investing in their domestic leagues and the world cup team is a product of this...not the other way round as some suggest!!!

Also if countries have to qualify it makes their international matches between world cups more meaningful, and will ensure that they get full turnouts of squad members who just want to play in the big games!

#44 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

[quote name="yipyee" post="2838905" timestamp="1384943523"]With hindsight it sounds logical, but i am presuming nobody was expecting the smaller games to be so successful.......Lets remember there are more teams in this world cup than the last! 

Countries should prove they are investing in their domestic leagues and the world cup team is a product of this...not the other way round as some suggest!!!

Also if countries have to qualify it makes their international matches between world cups more meaningful, and will ensure that they get full turnouts of squad members who just want to play in the big games![
Don't we just want the best World Cup possible? I mean rewarding countries where they are developing local players will not necessarily result in the best teams playing in World Cup?

#45 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Don't we just want the best World Cup possible? I mean rewarding countries where they are developing local players will not necessarily result in the best teams playing in World Cup?[/quote]

I would sooner watch England vs France, than England vs some English/ aus blokes who have learnt the Scottish anthem and been given a whistle stop tour of Edinburgh! !!

I mean come on pat Richards had earnt about 14 caps before even stepping foot in Ireland!! And that was by chance that a game was held there!! If he felt irish hes had about 7 years to get a 10 pound ryanair flight to Dublin. ...

Canada, Jamaica, South Africa all would have left a far greater legacy, Lebanon also!!!

Edited by yipyee, 21 November 2013 - 09:18 PM.