Photo
- - - - -

23/11/13 - World Cup Semi Final 1: England v New Zealand (Wembley)

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (110 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. England by 25 points or more (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

2. England by 19 to 24 points (1 votes [0.91%])

Percentage of vote: 0.91%

3. England by 13 to 18 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. England by 7 to 12 points (35 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. New Zealand by 1 to 6 points (8 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

7. New Zealand by 7 to 12 points (11 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

8. New Zealand by 13 to 18 points (16 votes [14.55%])

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

9. New Zealand by 19 to 24 points (5 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

10. New Zealand by 25 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#601 Aldo1980

Aldo1980
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

His long kicking.

As i said he took 1/3 of the long kicks....

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."
NBA legend Charles Barkley

#602 Aldo1980

Aldo1980
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

I've praised him for the rest if his performance. I've supported him through this tournament. But because I've offered a negative opinion on part of his game, I'm a "so-called" England fan? Come on, that's not fair is it?

He was one of three people who kicked for England. That doesn't mean he made one in three kicks. Without seeing the stats (and happy to be shown otherwise), I'd safely say he was responsible for well over half of the downfield kicks made by England. This was one of his strengths that he was meant to bring to the team better than anyone else and it wasn't there today.

Fair point about 'so called England fans' that was probably presumptive of me.

But my point that three players kicked deep for England and only Sinfield gets flack remains

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

#603 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Fair point about 'so called England fans' that was probably presumptive of me.

But my point that three players kicked deep for England and only Sinfield gets flack remains

One of the main reasons for Sinfield's inclusion was for his kicking, this is why it is getting picked up on whereas the others aren't. I found it odd that he didn't drill the ball into touch with 90 seconds to go.

I'm not knocking his overall performance but his kicking game wasn't its usual standard.

#604 Aldo1980

Aldo1980
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

One of the main reasons for Sinfield's inclusion was for his kicking, this is why it is getting picked up on whereas the others aren't. I found it odd that he didn't drill the ball into touch with 90 seconds to go.

I'm not knocking his overall performance but his kicking game wasn't its usual standard.

Can we agree he wasn't the sole reason England lost?

#605 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

a bit of defence for Kevin sinfield re shooting out the line:
1.did he shoot because he realised the overlap and thus wanted to close the runner down?
2. who was missing out the line causing him to shoot up?
3. did he tell the players around him to shoot up with him(all in or none at all)? if he did then why didn't they?
there is often more to an action than can be seen on tv

There was an overlap which is why I suspect he rushed out, it's just a shame he chose probably the worst player to rush out against. I'm sure given the choice again he wouldn't rush out but it was a split second decision that could have come off for him but didn't.

#606 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Can we agree he wasn't the sole reason England lost?

I never he said he was.

#607 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

There was an overlap which is why I suspect he rushed out, it's just a shame he chose probably the worst player to rush out against. I'm sure given the choice again he wouldn't rush out but it was a split second decision that could have come off for him but didn't.

maybe he wouldn't. the point of the post was to highlight to people that actions are not always straight forward. sinfield is getting the blame for shooting up, but what if everyone was meant to shoot up but didn't? these are things you cannot tell without the players been miked up

#608 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

a bit of defence for Kevin sinfield re shooting out the line:
1.did he shoot because he realised the overlap and thus wanted to close the runner down?
2. who was missing out the line causing him to shoot up?
3. did he tell the players around him to shoot up with him(all in or none at all)? if he did then why didn't they?
there is often more to an action than can be seen on tv

Regardless of that, if you decide to rush the attacking line then you have to either make the tackle or close the man down to enable the defence to get across. He did neither and paid the price. It's not the decision it's the execution of it that was poor. He got it wrong, simple as that. It doesn't mean he didn't have a good game, it just means that he got it wrong at a crucial time which is disappointing for the captain and senior player to have done. He shouldn't take the blame for losing us the match, but it is disingenuous of his ardent supporters on here to not acknowledge his mistake.

#609 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Regardless of that, if you decide to rush the attacking line then you have to either make the tackle or close the man down to enable the defence to get across. He did neither and paid the price. It's not the decision it's the execution of it that was poor. He got it wrong, simple as that. It doesn't mean he didn't have a good game, it just means that he got it wrong at a crucial time which is disappointing for the captain and senior player to have done. He shouldn't take the blame for losing us the match, but it is disingenuous of his ardent supporters on here to not acknowledge his mistake.

as I have said, I am far from a fan of sinfield.
if the others had moved up with him, there would have been no gap. we do not know who was in the wrong because we cannot hear what the players are saying.

#610 NottsLoiner

NottsLoiner
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

It was the high tackle and numerous beginning of 2nd half penalties that proved the difference. We could, and should, have won fairly comfortably (12pts+).

#611 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

I refuse to read this thread as I know it will be fill of the same old ###### that gets spouted every time......Sinfield is to blame, the Kiwis didn't care, Mcbana (lol) is useless etc etc etc

So all i will say is this....

Today I witnessed one of the best sporting spectacles I have ever seen in any sport, met some first time RL fans from all over the country and been involved with a team of volunteers who have given up time and money to support our game.

My overriding emotion, soon after complete and utter heartache, was sheer pride in our great game and squad of players who went toe to toe with the world champions.

No one player lost that game - as a team we never closed it out, simple as that.

I am proud England Rugby League supporter tonight
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#612 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,088 posts

Sonny Bill Williams ‏@SonnyBWilliams

Thanks for all your kind messages thought England were the better team today but with the brothers will and desire we got home. #godisgreat

Posted Image

#613 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, I just feel privileged to have witnessed that.

Sure, players made the odd mistake on both sides but the quality on show was fantastic.

Every English fan is bound to be disappointed and some may seek scapegoats but that's not for me.

We should have won but didn't, here's hoping it's a belting final and the two teams batter each other senseless.

That'll do for me.

You looked even more privileged to witness City conceding that goal (and the game) to Crystal Palace. I thought you were going to burst.

Agree with you about the game. Absolutely fantastic contest between two very good sides. This is one of the best England/GB teams I've seen in a long time.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#614 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,037 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

He shouldn't take the blame for losing us the match, but it is disingenuous of his ardent supporters on here to not acknowledge his mistake.

Exactly. Some like to just give praise. Some like to just give criticism. Some like to give both. But for some reason some of those choosing to not give any criticism whatsoever are acting like they are above those that have dared critique anything in the England game.
Posted Image

#615 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,037 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

As i said he took 1/3 of the long kicks....

And as I said, just because he was one of three kickers doesn't mean he took one out of three kicks.

I'd say he easily took more than half of the long kicks today.
Posted Image

#616 southendsteve07

southendsteve07
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

That was the best game I've ever seen our forwards dominated. New Zealand but I don't think I will ever get over that last 30 seconds it broke my heart a proud southend on sea rugby league fan 

#617 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Congratulations to the Kiwis, well played England.

#618 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

There's such a mixture of emotions after the game.

On the positive side, probably the biggest TV audience for a RL game in 13 years will have seen what the game is about. Our players played with such pride and are probably the best team we've had in my time watching the game. I also think it is the game where we can finally put the GB issue away, England seemed right and the crowd were really behind it.

Aside from the result I feel numb and robbed. Had we held them out for another 30 seconds we'd have been looking forward to the biggest RL event in this country in a lifetime. After today we'd not only have broke the world record for a crowd we'd be doing so with tens of thousands disappointed. The build up would have been immense. Instead we're cheering on the Kiwis again but I suspect that they'll lose fairly comfortably.

Gonna take ages to get over this.

#619 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Some of the posts on here are so full of it. Sinfield this Sinfield that. The fella had a great game yet he gets battered to a pulp. The negative from the so called experts is shameful .

Quite so. Except they're not experts, just the usual rag tag posters with an agenda. The highhandedness of some is laughable.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#620 The Dude

The Dude
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

I refuse to read this thread as I know it will be fill of the same old ###### that gets spouted every time......Sinfield is to blame, the Kiwis didn't care, Mcbana (lol) is useless etc etc etc

So all i will say is this....

Today I witnessed one of the best sporting spectacles I have ever seen in any sport, met some first time RL fans from all over the country and been involved with a team of volunteers who have given up time and money to support our game.

My overriding emotion, soon after complete and utter heartache, was sheer pride in our great game and squad of players who went toe to toe with the world champions.

No one player lost that game - as a team we never closed it out, simple as that.

I am proud England Rugby League supporter tonight

Very well said.  I understand that emotions are running high after that but it really isn't the time for picking the bones out of it and arguing over who should have done different/better.

Revel in the fact that you have just witnessed one of the most exciting sporting events you could ever wish to see and it was our sport...why we all call it The Greatest Game.

I was an emotional wreck just watching the match and shed a tear as Johnson went over because I had foolishly already started getting excited to watching our national team in a World Cup final.  I have no ideas how it must feel to be an England player right know to lose in that manner when they had played a magnificent match, I would go as far as saying the best England performance I have seen.

My thoughts are with them and also my congratulations for being part of such and epic and stirring drama. 

Finally, what a superstar Sam Burgess is.  He was immense today, from the first minutes you sensed that the Kiwis knew who the English talisman was and they targeted him with some big shots - stop Burgess and we stop England.  He just grew in the match and showed what a leader and champion he is.  Then after the dramatic, cruel twist at the end, he was so composed and articulate when interviewed  in the aftermath.  Top man who will hopefully have a wider recognition after this World Cup.

Another proud England Rugby League fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users