Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Do England have a chance?

england new zealand rlwc2013

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: ENG v NZ (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Can England defeat New Zealand in the RLWC2013 semi-final?

1. Yes, they can cope with the Kiwis (27 votes [44.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.26%

2. No chance, this is the end of the road (23 votes [37.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.70%

3. Too close to call (11 votes [18.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

England will face arguably the toughest challenge of their RLWC2013 campaign so far when they take on reigning champions New Zealand in the first semi-final at 1.00pm on Saturday.

The bookies have installed the in-form Kiwis as 4/9 favourites, while England are clear outsiders at 9/4.

Is this an accurate reflection of what you think will happen? Or are the bookmakers underestimating England? Let us know by voting on our poll.

Edited by Joe Whitley, 17 November 2013 - 05:37 PM.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

We have a team of players certainly capable, put it that way.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 dibbley

dibbley
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

According to those odds that is:-

70% chance of NZ winning

30% chance of England winning

After that the odds are dictated by where the money goes.  NZ will be favourites because more money has been wagered on them than England.

The bookie couldn't care less who wins, as they've already factored in their profit in the prices offered on all sides of the bet, it's just a case of keeping all sides balanced in their favour, so they profit no matter what happens.

All these people on here that think England will beat NZ should snap that 9/4 up!!

#4 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

NO

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Yes they can beat Kiwis, and yes it is too close to call.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Despite my criticism of the coach & the halves combination, the thought of the semi final is now really revving me up - we have a great chance.

BUT we have to compete for the full 80 & we have to get off to a fantastic start

It's going to be a long week.............

#7 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Despite my criticism of the coach & the halves combination, the thought of the semi final is now really revving me up - we have a great chance.

BUT we have to compete for the full 80 & we have to get off to a fantastic start

It's going to be a long week.............

I am looking forward to this game immensely, but do I think we will be victorious NO, Our players on the whole are neither collectively or individually (given the odd exception) are of the quality of their opposites, and I would also say that our 3 year old game plan administered by our coach will bring no surprises to NZ, after all they have seen it performed by his teams as everyone else has for the last 3 years, so no surprises there.

Quite a lot of people pre-tournament were waxing lyrical of how we now had some guys experienced in the NRL, playing in pressure situation each week - which is good, but by my reckoning it totals some 7 years, that being between the three Burgess boy's and Graham, hopefully that experience could be added to with the inclusion of Widdop but I somehow doubt that he will be employed has that contradicts the 3 year plan.The Kiwi's are completely au-fait with the pressure and intensity that this game will bring and that will also add to their armoury.

Some posters on this site have also suggested that the Kiwi's will run out of steam in the second half, do they honestly believe that or is this in my opinion clutching at straws looking for a weakness to exploit? Hopefully the English boys will grow an extra arm and leg in their quest for victory, but so till will the Kiwi's, it's their crown to lose and I am sure they will not be relinquishing it quietly.

If I selected a team including 4 subs that had to be chosen from the two squads, my only inclusions from the English team would be, Tomkins, Hall, S. Burgess and Roby with the latter 2 staring on the bench.

Like I said I am really looking forward to the game and over 80 mins who knows what will happen, hopefully we will be victorious and those in opposition to my opinion can hang me from the highest yardarm, but somehow I doubt that I will be taking much flak.
"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#8 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

We have th eplayers but we don't have the structure or tactics to beat them. If we go a try or two down we don't have a coach who knows how to change things an dget back in the game, will just be relying on moments of brilliance from individual players. I'm going with the pessimist is never dissapointed role here. But on the bright side should we lose it means I can go and enjoy the final without the nerves.

#9 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

We have th eplayers but we don't have the structure or tactics to beat them. If we go a try or two down we don't have a coach who knows how to change things an dget back in the game, will just be relying on moments of brilliance from individual players. I'm going with the pessimist is never dissapointed role here. But on the bright side should we lose it means I can go and enjoy the final without the nerves.

So Goosey, do you consider that if we had say Craig Bellamy in charge we would have a WC winning team with the same personnel out on the pitch?
"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#10 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

So Goosey, do you consider that if we had say Craig Bellamy in charge we would have a WC winning team with the same personnel out on the pitch?

We'd have a btter chance, someone who coul dget the best use out of his personnel yes. It's 13 against 13 on the pitch and we can match both Aus and NZ on paper, but it's about been able to use the interchanges effectively isn't it? reading the game unfolding and make changes to counter act or finish off the opposition. I don't want to get into a SM slating arguement but from watching Bulls at his time there he never seemed to know how to change things, stuck with plan A no matter what.

#11 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Everyone needs to stand up and be counted now. No room for any weak performers.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#12 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Everyone needs to stand up and be counted now. No room for any weak performers.

I think you are 100% correct here.

The player that everyone expected to take this tournament by storm, Sam Burgess, has been no better than the majority of forwards in the WC. In fact, I would say that he has been behind a number of players, such as Ferres and O'Loughlin, in his impact on the games so far.

It is now time for him to step up. I know he can't beat them on his own, but if we are to have any chance then we need him at his intimidating best. If we are to beat NZ on Saturday then we need to be talking about how Burgess is doing what he has been doing to NRL players, in attack and defence for the last two years. A bog standard performance from him, like the ones we have seen so far, will not get us where we need to be.

The same should be said for James Graham. Someone needs to get get the snarl back on his face. His play has been effective, but lacking in the mongrel we used to see most weeks in SL.

One up bashes from our forwards will be eaten up all day by NZ. We need to get our forwards to play to their strengths, which means unleashing the likes of Burgess and Westwood to do a bit of damage. Yes this will increase the chances of giving a few penalties away, but if we have an Aussie ref in charge we will get battered in that department anyway. Might as well make them count.

#13 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Best price on England currently is 12/5 (i.e. you'd get a return of £34 for a £10 bet. We're 8pt underdogs on the handicap, which feels spot on to me.

#14 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

According to those odds that is:-

70% chance of NZ winning

30% chance of England winning

After that the odds are dictated by where the money goes.  NZ will be favourites because more money has been wagered on them than England.

The bookie couldn't care less who wins, as they've already factored in their profit in the prices offered on all sides of the bet, it's just a case of keeping all sides balanced in their favour, so they profit no matter what happens.

All these people on here that think England will beat NZ should snap that 9/4 up!!

Which is easier said than done!

#15 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

We'd have a btter chance, someone who coul dget the best use out of his personnel yes. It's 13 against 13 on the pitch and we can match both Aus and NZ on paper, but it's about been able to use the interchanges effectively isn't it? reading the game unfolding and make changes to counter act or finish off the opposition. I don't want to get into a SM slating arguement but from watching Bulls at his time there he never seemed to know how to change things, stuck with plan A no matter what.

It's probably for another thread but I always maintained that for all his success as a coach at Bradford Nobby Noble had the same trait, and when plan A failed he would revert to plan A, wouldn't he just love having this Kiwi side to coach.

#16 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Some good points being raised here.

A few of you have mentioned how important it is for England to maintain their intensity over 80 minutes, but what other weaknesses do you see in the side? Are you happy with Chase and Sinfield as a half-back pairing? Should Gareth Widdop be given a chance? If you were McNamara, what changes would you make ahead of the semi-final? 

TotalRL.com Editor

#17 7723

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

If you were McNamara, what changes would you make ahead of the semi-final? 

I personally would change the half backs who haven't done anything this tournament. I would also have 4 props in the 17 rather then 4 second rowers.

#18 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

I personally would change the half backs who haven't done anything this tournament. I would also have 4 props in the 17 rather then 4 second rowers.

Who would you play at 6 and 7, then? 

TotalRL.com Editor

#19 7723

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Who would you play at 6 and 7, then? 

Widdop and Burrow.

#20 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

This is very unpatriotic of me, but I hope England lose! I want to see this Kiwi team face the Aussies at Old Trafford in what could be one of the greatest games of all time!

If England get there we will lose comfortably.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg