Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Standing up to the Haka

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

The haka is there to be challenge if opposition teams or crowds choose to.

#22 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

LOL, it's a big gamble to back yourselves in challenging the Haka. As stated, the last time it was done, the Kiwis walked away with the World Cup.

It would be great spectacle though. It would surely demand increases media attention.

#23 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,991 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

I remember Willie Mason, born in Auckland rather ironically, disrespecting the Kiwis during their Haka not long since, calling them "f****** w******" which you could clearly lipread during the broadcast.

It certainly seemed to pump up David Kidwell, he chose his moment and laid Mason out.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VKk1NbHszn8

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#24 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

Why do we have to interrupt our preparation to a big game by standing around like lemons whilst the Kiwis psyche themselves up?
We should do a warm up drill and as they reach their crescendo collectively give them an Anglo Saxon "v"
We have traditions too which are probably as contrived as theirs.
At the very least we should insult them by turning our backs on them. Are we going to Wembley to appreciate their culture or beat them in a sporting contest?

Yes cause that would do the image of rugby league the world of good. Don't be a prat!

#25 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

If I remember right, the Mason incident was him thinking it was a joke that Nathan Fien was doing the Haka.

#26 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

Charnley should drop his shorts. It is a semi after all.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

It was a few years ago, it may have been the 2008 WC and England formed a huddle some distance from the Kiwi Haka and I thought that was really ordinary.

Face up to it, its part of the game and helps sell the sport.

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

If I remember right, the Mason incident was him thinking it was a joke that Nathan Fien was doing the Haka.

and brent webb...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Why do we have to interrupt our preparation to a big game by standing around like lemons whilst the Kiwis psyche themselves up?
We should do a warm up drill and as they reach their crescendo collectively give them an Anglo Saxon "v"
We have traditions too which are probably as contrived as theirs.
At the very least we should insult them by turning our backs on them. Are we going to Wembley to appreciate their culture or beat them in a sporting contest?

Synchronised queuing would be a goer

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#30 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

England should perform a sort of conga accompanied by a Black Lace drum and base mash up.

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

To quote Blazing Saddles "Don't shoot him,it'll only make him mad".

Stand in front of them,respect the haka,then out play them.Job done.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#32 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

I remember Willie Mason, born in Auckland rather ironically, disrespecting the Kiwis during their Haka not long since, calling them "f****** w******" which you could clearly lipread during the broadcast.

It certainly seemed to pump up David Kidwell, he chose his moment and laid Mason out.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VKk1NbHszn8

I will never get bored of watching Willie Mason get lumped

As for the haka, I hope to see a revival of the 1973 vintage...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=emJyEa4z2Ec

Edited by Kenny Bania, 18 November 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

It was a few years ago, it may have been the 2008 WC and England formed a huddle some distance from the Kiwi Haka and I thought that was really ordinary.

Face up to it, its part of the game and helps sell the sport.

I think it was a four nations game in 2010 at Wellington. England ignored it with a huddle. (And the English were in that one-off Centenary/Wigan/Leigh kit)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Charnley should drop his shorts. It is a semi after all.

lol

#35 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think it's a travesty that Ireland never did River Dance, they were half way there stood with there arms round each other, if only Pat Richards had led the way and started wiggling his legs and moving his head from side to side.

Perhaps whilst NZ are hakaring, Sinfield should walk up and down the England line screaming out Braveheart type lines.

But I like the idea of the entire England team caterpillaring about the pitch, that diffuse the NZ agression, or doing some really rubbish break dancing ending up with a classic finish one leg up and hand on chin.

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

a few years back the irish yawnion team did a celtic charge at the all blacks whilst they were doing the haka.....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

This new version of the haka isn't very good anyway.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

This new version of the haka isn't very good anyway.

Brilliant, haka flatcappery.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#39 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

In finest English tradition our lads should respond with a rousing chorus of "in-ger-land, in-ger-land, in-ger-land...." before moving seamlessly into "you're gonna get your f*****g heads kicked in..." and ending with the traditional "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough..."

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#40 Big Red Keev

Big Red Keev
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hokey cokey?