Standing up to the Haka

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

I find it disrespectful, unsportsmanlike and childish that the Kiwi's opposition are expected to stand around waiting for them to do their cultural thing just before kick off. Let them do it before the anthems.

Strange way to look at it, most people love it and I bet the opposition players wouldn't want it any other way, most use it to get fired up. It creates a great atmosphere and build up to the kick off

#62 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Strange way to look at it, most people love it and I bet the opposition players wouldn't want it any other way, most use it to get fired up. It creates a great atmosphere and build up to the kick off

My four year old thinks it's great.  Personally I'd like to see it retained, but the timing of when it's performed changed.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#63 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

I find it disrespectful, unsportsmanlike and childish that the Kiwi's opposition are expected to stand around waiting for them to do their cultural thing just before kick off.  Let them do it before the anthems.

Yes - let's kick off while they're still dancing.  Take them by surprise. ;)

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#64 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,596 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yes - let's kick off while they're still dancing.  Take them by surprise. ;)

Something different - a chip over the top? You are Stevo and I claim my 3 bob! ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#65 XIII man

XIII man
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I agree completely. It would be a shame if the focus was taken away from the haka. I thought it was poor form that the Twickenham crowd sang over the All Blacks last Saturday and it didnt appear to effect them as they scored a try in the first couple of minutes. One of my many RLWC highlights has been attending the Cook Islands - Tonga game and their pre match versions of the haka and The Fijians hymn before Ireland game. Its not something you get to appreciate every week.

Let the hostility start when the first whistle blows and end at the final whistle.

#66 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

The Kangaroos love it and use it to fire up.

I remember Darren Lokyer talking about playing New Zealand and how special it feels wearing green and gold when the Haka starts.

It just wouldn't be playing NZ if you took it away , it's an experience.

I've faced a few Haka in my time , as a lad I was a scared and found it intimidating , epsecially the sound.

When you get older and realise it's an honor to face the Haka you feel part of it .....it's hard to explain but there is a raw Warrior to Warrior feeling facing a Haka and it makes you want to rise to the challenge as much as performing it.

When  they stare you down and gesture to challenge you , it's very powerful.

The Idea of the War chieftan of the England team shouting and walking up and down the line akin to famous Movie battle scenes is an entirely appropriate response while the men in the Line yell a battle cry.

That would send the crowd and commentators nuts. I would wait till the Haka had finished and then go through a battle ' No Prisoners........NO PRISONERS.....No Surrender  !!!!!!!! '  response.

Edited by mt smart, 20 November 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#67 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

The Kangaroos love it and use it to fire up.

I remember Darren Lokyer talking about playing New Zealand and how special it feels wearing green and gold when the Haka starts.

It just wouldn't be playing NZ if you took it away , it's an experience.

I've faced a few Haka in my time , as a lad I was a scared and found it intimidating , epsecially the sound.

When you get older and realise it's an honor to face the Haka you feel part of it .....it's hard to explain but there is a raw Warrior to Warrior feeling facing a Haka and it makes you want to rise to the challenge as much as performing it.

When  they stare you down and gesture to challenge you , it's very powerful.

The Idea of the War chieftan of the England team shouting and walking up and down the line akin to famous Movie battle scenes is an entirely appropriate response while the men in the Line yell a battle cry.

That would send the crowd and commentators nuts. I would wait till the Haka had finished and then go through a battle ' No Prisoners........NO PRISONERS.....No Surrender  !!!!!!!! '  response.

England captain shouting,pointing at the Kiwis, thumping his heart, screaming at his charges if they are up to take them on and match them warrior for warrior :-) Love it. Frrreeeeedooommmmm

Edited by scrape_goose, 20 November 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#68 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

If that happened, I think I would completely lose my ####...!

:D

Posted Image

#69 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Lawrence of Arabia > Braveheart. Biggest mismatch of the tournament so far.

#70 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,596 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

No chest-thumping, no yelling - as the Kiwis do the Haka, quietly raise the black flag. NO PRISONERS!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#71 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yes - let's kick off while they're still dancing. Take them by surprise. ;)

Love it, little chip over the top, Stevo's favourite!

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

When they have finished we get Gurner out of retirement to stand in front of the team and declare 'Zulus Sir, farsands of 'em'

Or maybe Kiwis.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#73 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

When they have finished we get Gurner out of retirement to stand in front of the team and declare 'Zulus Sir, farsands of 'em'

Or maybe Kiwis.

And seventeen of them.

#74 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

To see how to face the Haka just look at France RU when they face the All Blacks ,one of the very few teams to respect it properly and draw the energy and power away from team performing it!

#75 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

My four year old thinks it's great. Personally I'd like to see it retained, but the timing of when it's performed changed.

Interesting that Robbie Paul says it's very emotional and actually quite draining to do. He was responding to people who always ask the question "why should we stand there etc." He implied its quite the opposite.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#76 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Interesting that Robbie Paul says it's very emotional and actually quite draining to do. He was responding to people who always ask the question "why should we stand there etc." He implied its quite the opposite.

By the end of his international career Robbie Paul couldn't burst his way out of a paper bag, it's no surprise to me that he found it draining.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#77 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

By the end of his international career Robbie Paul couldn't burst his way out of a paper bag, it's no surprise to me that he found it draining.

Harsh but fair.  :sclerosis:

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#78 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Should form a circle round it !!!

#79 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Should form a circle round it !!!

And shout "fight, fight, fight, bunnnndle"

#80 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Years ago we would have parked our bikes, rushed onto the field eating fish and chips, had the game of our lives and won in the last few seconds. If only Alf Tupper played rugby!

PS  Am in USA and struggling to find coverage if anybody has ideas please post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users