Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Drinking in London

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Another pre-Wembley alternative (although the early kick-off might limit options) is Harrow-on-the-Hill. Great views of Wembley and London, village atmosphere and some decent pubs. Can recommend the Castle and the White Horse. Wembley Park is less than 10 mins on the tube.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#22 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

The Harp on Chandos Place, Covent Garden, was CAMRA pub of the year a couple of years ago. Wonderful place and surprisingly cheap.

I'll be in The Parcel Yard at KX, which is also excellent.

The Harp is an excellent pub. There is also the Coal Hole which is in the Strand which is walking distance from there.

#23 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

The Harp is an excellent pub. There is also the Coal Hole which is in the Strand which is walking distance from there.

Tha Cole Hole is a pickpockets favourite.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#24 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Another pre-Wembley alternative (although the early kick-off might limit options) is Harrow-on-the-Hill. Great views of Wembley and London, village atmosphere and some decent pubs. Can recommend the Castle and the White Horse. Wembley Park is less than 10 mins on the tube.

Good shout; Harrow is very pleasant.

Personally, my pre-match drinking will start with a couple of cans on the 1143 from Hemel.

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Enjoy! Kings Cross is pretty handy for the places I've listed - the closest of them are about 20 mins walk away or 5-10 mins on the bus.

With the added advantage that the areas round Kings Cross is a hell of a lot less squalid than it used to be.

By the way, anyone in the area from Tuesday to Friday (11:00am to 2:30pm) should check out the Kerb Food pitch. Five different traders per day, selling some cracking food, especially Tongue'n'Cheek and The Rib Man.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 MattSantos

MattSantos
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Any decent boozers around Kings Cross Friday evening?

Moist with excitement. Moist.

#27 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

The VOlunteer just up form Baker St station is excellent

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#28 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

MattSantos, on 19 Nov 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

The Parcel Yard in the station is very good - although not cheap.
People called Romans they go the house

#29 Intake Don

Intake Don
  • Facebook
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Cheers for all info. Im just goin london for day gettin into kings cross bout 10 so prob stick around there n try find a pub i been to parcel yard b4 n like mr posh sed it not cheap but its a great place.
Wud u say stick around kings cross or go baker street cos i know sum ppl go there to drink?

#30 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Cheers for all info. Im just goin london for day gettin into kings cross bout 10 so prob stick around there n try find a pub i been to parcel yard b4 n like mr posh sed it not cheap but its a great place.
Wud u say stick around kings cross or go baker street cos i know sum ppl go there to drink?

Lots of decent options around Baker Street (Thornbury Castle is a personal favourite, even if it is a rugby union pub!), although I suspect that area may be very busy.

#31 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

There'a good place just south of King's Cross on Swinton Street called The Queen's Head.  On York Way, right next to the station, there's a place called The Fellow that's new and pretty decent - and there's a great little bar called Simmons on the Caledonian Road, about a minute walk from the station.  Also there's the Big Chill House on Pentonville - all within a couple of minutes of each other.

But as I mentioned in another post, you're only ten minutes up the street from Islington, the promised land.  I'd start in the Craft Beer Co pub near Angel and then take it from there...

#32 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Tha Cole Hole is a pickpockets favourite.

Really? I was in the coal hole last Friday and it looked to be full of people from the city and tourists. I suppose they are their targets. We'll I managed to get home with my wallet and iPhone so I must have been lucky. (They did do a nice pale ale from Tynr and Wear in there though). The Harp is better but it can be a battle to get to the loos.

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Anywhere good in Paddington area on a Saturday night?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#34 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yes there is a lovely pub in a residential area about halfway between Paddington (lLittle Venice)and Warwick Avenue. I think it has Warrington in the name so it must be good.

#35 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Just checked. The Warrington Hotel Maida Vale, W9 1EH.

#36 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

Really? I was in the coal hole last Friday and it looked to be full of people from the city and tourists. I suppose they are their targets. We'll I managed to get home with my wallet and iPhone so I must have been lucky. (They did do a nice pale ale from Tynr and Wear in there though). The Harp is better but it can be a battle to get to the loos.

A favourite pub of a certain Richard Harris, well known in Rugby circles for 'This Sporting Life'.Not as a pickpocket as far as I know.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#37 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

A favourite pub of a certain Richard Harris, well known in Rugby circles for 'This Sporting Life'.Not as a pickpocket as far as I know.

Yeah been there a few times after work away days in that part if town and always been pretty good. Nicholson's isn't it? They're usually good in my experience.

#38 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Traditionally an area where Roxanne might put on the red light.  Not sure she stocks any decent ales.

There's the odd pub here or there - I quite like the Lord Wargrave on Crawford Place, just off the Edgware Road - but you're probably best heading into Soho from there.

I would, however, recommend a late night lamb shawarma at Ranoush Juice on the Edgware Road before you retire - best kebab outside the middle east. Finish off with a few baklava and you're sorted.

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Traditionally an area where Roxanne might put on the red light. Not sure she stocks any decent ales.

There's the odd pub here or there - I quite like the Lord Wargrave on Crawford Place, just off the Edgware Road - but you're probably best heading into Soho from there.

I would, however, recommend a late night lamb shawarma at Ranoush Juice on the Edgware Road before you retire - best kebab outside the middle east. Finish off with a few baklava and you're sorted.

Prossies? Soho?
What sort of night do you think I was planning? ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#40 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

If you don't mind Sam Smiths (personally I don't like it), I can recommend the Cittie of Yorke on High Holborn. Worth a visit for the building alone - it looks like a medieval great hall, although it's barely 100 years old.

Why don't you like Sam Smiths the prices are great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users