TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Drinking in London

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Any recommendations for a good place to watch the Froch-Groves fight on Saturday night? 

Posted Image

#42 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Any recommendations for a good place to watch the Froch-Groves fight on Saturday night? 

Yeah the Phones 4U Arena in Manchester is a safe bet.

#43 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yeah the Phones 4U Arena in Manchester is a safe bet.

:good:

Posted Image

#44 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Why don't you like Sam Smiths the prices are great.

There's more to good beer than the price*. :rolleyes:

* unless you're a Yorkshireman. ;)

Edited by Griff9of13, 20 November 2013 - 11:29 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#45 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

We will most likely head to the Wetherspoons outside Baker Street Station. Usually a good atmosphere and not too pricey as London goes.

#46 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Curve ball time

My better half, a recent convert to RL, doesn't do boozy pubs but we are going to need a good feed before we head to Wembley as I'm a dyed in the wool Yorkie and refuse to pay Wembley prices!

We're staying in Brentford and heading up to Central London and then out via Baker Street/Marylebone and we both know London pretty well, know there are loads of pubs etc but I don't know anywhere that will do a good brunch - even better if it does it with a glass or two of bubbly so I can get in her good books!

Over to you southern aficionados please.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#47 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Curve ball time

My better half, a recent convert to RL, doesn't do boozy pubs but we are going to need a good feed before we head to Wembley as I'm a dyed in the wool Yorkie and refuse to pay Wembley prices!

We're staying in Brentford and heading up to Central London and then out via Baker Street/Marylebone and we both know London pretty well, know there are loads of pubs etc but I don't know anywhere that will do a good brunch - even better if it does it with a glass or two of bubbly so I can get in her good books!

You could try The Providores on Marylebone High Street - very good if you want to impress: http://www.theprovidores.co.uk/

Or there's a Giraffe just of Marylebone High Street if that's your thing...

Or if you go to St Christopher's Place (nearest Tube Bond St) there are a few places... including Patty & Bun - one fo the best burger places in London at the moment...or Comptoir Libanais, for a meze brunch...

#48 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Curve ball time

Forgot to say - it's the relaxed Tapa Room within Providores which does weekend brunch - rather than the white linen table cloth restaurant section... they have a great sister place in Covent Garden too...

#49 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I went to Dishoom (http://www.dishoom.com) a couple of months back and thought it was pretty good. They do something that's like a slightly spicy version of scrambled eggs. Fire toast is good too. Bit different and tasty, reasonable price as well. Detour to Covent Garden but decent enough.

I've never been but have heard very good things about the Breakfast Club, http://www.thebreakfastclubcafes.com

#50 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

I went to Dishoom (http://www.dishoom.com) a couple of months back and thought it was pretty good. They do something that's like a slightly spicy version of scrambled eggs. Fire toast is good too. Bit different and tasty, reasonable price as well. Detour to Covent Garden but decent enough.

I've never been but have heard very good things about the Breakfast Club, http://www.thebreakfastclubcafes.com

For years not that many people went to the original Breakfast Club in Soho.  Now for some reason I do not understand it's almost impossible to get a table at either Soho or Islington at a weekend - queues right down the street at Soho last Sunday, even at 4pm.  Wierd. 

Dishoom's good - but not a great location for Wembley though. 

#51 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

For years not that many people went to the original Breakfast Club in Soho. Now for some reason I do not understand it's almost impossible to get a table at either Soho or Islington at a weekend - queues right down the street at Soho last Sunday, even at 4pm. Wierd.

Dishoom's good - but not a great location for Wembley though.

Not going to disagree with either point there. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this thread as I'm always on the look out for new brunch opportunities for weekends and days off.

#52 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Canteen is a short walk from Baker Street and women seem to like it there.

Might end up in Blandford's Cafe myself tbh.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#53 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Why don't you like Sam Smiths the prices are great.

I'd rather pay £4 a pint in a sociable pub and enjoy it, than pay £3 and not.

Besides, I live halfway between Wigan and Leigh where a decent pint for under £2 is still a reality (and not just in Wetherspoons/Last Orders).

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#54 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

For good food, try the Holborn Whippet, on Southampton Row, a couple of minutes walk from Holborn tube. Not sure if it's open at weekends though.

Decent burgers and a fantastic selection of beers.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

#55 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

...and not just in Last Orders...

I went in there pre-match last Saturday. It was, erm, eye opening to say the least!

Posted Image

#56 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I went in there pre-match last Saturday. It was, erm, eye opening to say the least!

Last Resort would be more appropriate. I once saw a Last Orders that did Karaoke at 2pm on a Tuesday.

disques vogue

#57 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Probably nipping round to Ladbroke Grove for a couple too, if I can remember where some relatives live. Last time we used to go to a pub called The Eagle but it's a bit hazy now  :wacko:

#58 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

We will most likely head to the Wetherspoons outside Baker Street Station. Usually a good atmosphere and not too pricey as London goes.

Likely to be rammed to the gills though...

#59 Fatbob

Fatbob
  • Coach
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Been thrown out of the craft beer co pub. Welcome to London.

#60 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

Been thrown out of the craft beer co pub. Welcome to London.

What for?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users