RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Drinking in London

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Been thrown out of the craft beer co pub. Welcome to London.

Blimey. 

#62 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Probably nipping round to Ladbroke Grove for a couple too, if I can remember where some relatives live. Last time we used to go to a pub called The Eagle but it's a bit hazy now   :wacko:

I spent many a happy friday night drinking in pubs in the Grove. The Eagle was still there last time I went past, but the Percy and the Cow Shed had both gone (one a hotel, the other demolished for flats) and the Elgin has become a non-descript Notting Hill-type pub. The Kensington Park Hotel is the only old fashioned boozer still surviving, if that place ever changes then the world really has tilted on its axis.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#63 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Well Baker Street pubs were absolutely rammed so hopped on the tube and am enjoying a couple of civilised pints pre game in Kilburn.

#64 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ended up getting to Wembley a bit late, headed for the JJ Moon to meet up with the reset of our party. Absolutely rammed and 20 minute wait to get served so gave up on that. Post match sorrows were drowned in the Waterloo area first at The Hole in The Wall (beer not great) and then The Kings Arms, Roupell Street which was excellent serving both great beer and Thai food at a very reasonable price. Mood finally lifted by about 9:30. :rolleyes: 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#65 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I spent many a happy friday night drinking in pubs in the Grove. The Eagle was still there last time I went past, but the Percy and the Cow Shed had both gone (one a hotel, the other demolished for flats) and the Elgin has become a non-descript Notting Hill-type pub. The Kensington Park Hotel is the only old fashioned boozer still surviving, if that place ever changes then the world really has tilted on its axis.

I can only agree about the Elgin. Was full of middle class bores on Saturday night. Did one sharpish.

#66 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Played safe and had loads if pints in the Betjeman in st Pancras before catching the ten o clock from kings x
They do nice food although I didn't have any had lots if pints of very nice beer though in some very convivial company

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 November 2013 - 08:40 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#67 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I didn't get to Wembley in time to have a drink outside but I had a couple of very expensive pints of lager inside the ground. Then to The Nag's Head, Islington for a fair few pints where I watched West Ham v Chelsea and then the France v South Africa Union match. ( I have a number of union loving friends.). Neither were a patch on the first semi-final at Wembley though for skill and excitement and enjoyment. despite the result.

#68 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,615 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

I went in there pre-match last Saturday. It was, erm, eye opening to say the least!

Unfortunately I forgot on the Wigan thread to post pubs to avoid.  ;)

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#69 twosevenzero

twosevenzero
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Halfway between Wigan and Leigh.......Platt Bridge ?

"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me".

FIOS

#70 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Griff9of13, on 25 Nov 2013 - 5:01 PM, said:

Ended up getting to Wembley a bit late, headed for the JJ Moon to meet up with the reset of our party. Absolutely rammed and 20 minute wait to get served so gave up on that. Post match sorrows were drowned in the Waterloo area first at The Hole in The Wall (beer not great) and then The Kings Arms, Roupell Street which was excellent serving both great beer and Thai food at a very reasonable price. Mood finally lifted by about 9:30. :rolleyes:

Shame about the Hole in the Wall. Used to serve superb beer in there.

Perhaps you should have tried Oaka in Kennington Park Road.
People called Romans they go the house

#71 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Halfway between Wigan and Leigh.......Platt Bridge ?

No, Hindley Green.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#72 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the help I got in pointing me to some nice places by the way lads

In the end, we had a good feed in the hotel (free, blagged as compo for a terrible performance by the hotel - DO NOT EVER STAY AT THE HOLIDAY INN BRENTFORD LOCK!) and headed via the Leicester Sq ticket booth to that new shopping centre at Wembley - kept her happy enough (If anyone did see me I was lugging round a big orange Superdry bag in block 550!). We then headed to Soho for a top and cheap nosh at La Porchetta Pollo bar on Old Crompton Street (starter, main and bottle of red for less than 40 quid in central London!) and on to the Vaudeville to see "Eric and Little Ern" which didn't half put a smile back on my face.

Oh, and we met a great couple from Greenwich in the restaurant, he's a RU man, but had huge knowledge of League and watches religiously on TV, his mrs had bought him the tickets for a birthday pressie. She supports Cas, but has never been. If you go in the Boot Room or Early Bath next season, look out for 2 cockneys with wide open mouths as they price up the beer.

I used to love going to RL matches at Wembley and the whole weekend experience, bring back Wembley internationals please.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users